Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Hot weather clothing -- Cotton? Really?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Hot weather clothing -- Cotton? Really?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-18, 05:02 PM
Jonathan Hanson 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
But does this source also cite figures from a tightly woven cotton shirt? I suspect a synthetic shirt woven like a "thin T-shirt" might not perform much better. For example, I commonly wear tightly woven, all-cotton Filson Feather Cloth shirts while pedaling. Even after weeks of exposure to full sun on a ride the length of Israel, I exhibited zero—zero—signs of sun exposure where the shirt covered me, with sharp "farmer tan lines." It's difficult for me to discount such obvious long-term field results.
Old 12-02-18, 06:23 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
In this academic paper reported SPF ratings for different types of natural (not dyed) cotton range from 3.8 to 19.2 . SPF rating goes up to more than 50 for dyed (indigo) heavy cotton, which is probably similar to what is achieved by synthetics (I didn't find explicit comparisons -- will report if I get lucky)

The authors write that the protection afforded by cotton is good.

So, yes, it depends on thickness and color.

Last edited by gauvins; 12-02-18 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-02-18, 06:31 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Wear what you like. Like what you wear. Common sense is king.
Old 12-02-18, 06:44 PM
Jonathan Hanson 

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
In this academic paper reported SPF ratings for different types of natural (not dyed) cotton range from 3.8 to 19.2 . SPF rating goes up to more than 50 for dyed (indigo) heavy cotton, which is probably similar to what is achieved by synthetics (I didn't find explicit comparisons -- will report if I get lucky)

The authors write that the protection afforded by cotton is good.

So, yes, it depends on thickness and color.
That makes more sense. I know for sure I find cotton much more comfortable in warm or hot weather!
Old 12-03-18, 12:37 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
Wear what you like. Like what you wear. Common sense is king.
That's vanity, not common sense.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 12-05-18, 12:09 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
UPF 50 shirts are becoming quite popular, almost all are synthetic & some are pretty cheap. Locally a moot point since there's not enough sun for the weeds to grow.
Old 10-13-22, 02:39 AM
afrowheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
I've been thinking a bit about cotton vs synthetics in hot weather (e.g. cycling South America) and found this thread. On my last long tour many years ago - 5months in East Africa, often very hot - I mostly used synthetic materials top and bottom. The plus was what is usually referred to: easy to dry, easy to wash and didn't retain dirt much. Downside: got heat rash, did not feel particularly cool, got saddlesores (though that was at least as much bike setup but I don't think the synthetics helped).

So for my potential upcoming tour I am seriously considering reverting to cotton clothing or at least blends that are majority cotton, with a couple of synthetics to compliment that off the bike or offer an alternative. E.g. in rainy weather I like the fact that synthetics won't hold much moisture. But I would be interested in any more recent developments with materials in the last 4 years that I might not know about and weren't covered above.
Old 10-13-22, 05:35 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by afrowheels
I've been thinking a bit about cotton vs synthetics in hot weather (e.g. cycling South America) and found this thread. On my last long tour many years ago - 5months in East Africa, often very hot - I mostly used synthetic materials top and bottom. The plus was what is usually referred to: easy to dry, easy to wash and didn't retain dirt much. Downside: got heat rash, did not feel particularly cool, got saddlesores (though that was at least as much bike setup but I don't think the synthetics helped).

So for my potential upcoming tour I am seriously considering reverting to cotton clothing or at least blends that are majority cotton, with a couple of synthetics to compliment that off the bike or offer an alternative. E.g. in rainy weather I like the fact that synthetics won't hold much moisture. But I would be interested in any more recent developments with materials in the last 4 years that I might not know about and weren't covered above.
I don't think a lot has changed since this thread was new. Possibly some of the antistink treatments built into the synthetics are better in some cases.

Some like wool. More power to them if it works for them. I found it held a lot of moisture, dried slowly, and didn't deliver on the no stink promise for me (I don't doubt it does for others, maybe I have a weird body chemistry of something).

FWIW, I have not found that I like cotton or wool at all for touring or riding in general. I tend to use synthetic regardless of the season. Some synthetics tend to be better than others with regard to how well they manage to be odor free. This seems to be on a garment by garment basis rather than something you can predict by the material listed on the tag. As a result I just take the ones that I have found to be good in that regard. I just wear regular bike shorts or bibs (I like medium high end Peal Izumi ones). For shirts I prefer running shirts or other tech tees rather than jerseys for touring. I used to be a daily trail runner so I own a bunch. I'd buy them cheap when I'd see top running brands (Nike etc.) on sale at Marshals or whatever. Also I'd buy North Face or similar if they were deeply discounted at REI or other outdoor suppliers. So I paid $6-12 for most of them. I tend to wear short sleeves in hot weather, but have both long and short sleeved ones.

Maybe off topic a bit, but my favorite insulation layer to wear over them is a kayaking sweater from decades ago (Immersion Research). I don't think they make one like exactly mine any more, but it is warm, dries fast, and doesn't hold much moisture, .
Old 10-13-22, 06:41 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts

Well, when it's "very not" most clothes that didn't just come wet out of a refrigerator are going to feel "particularly cool."

If you've got some time before starting this next tour, you might want to try cotton and see how it works for you. A popular vote on BF might be informative, but really can't replace your personal choice and decision.
Old 10-13-22, 07:05 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Well, when it's "very not" most clothes that didn't just come wet out of a refrigerator are going to feel "particularly cool."

If you've got some time before starting this next tour, you might want to try cotton and see how it works for you. A popular vote on BF might be informative, but really can't replace your personal choice and decision.
About the only thing that might not tell you is what it is like day in and day out all day on the road. Some of that will depend on your style of touring. Things like how many changes of clothing you carry and how often they get washed will impact that. Someone who has one set of on bike clothes and rinses them out daily (or less) and only really washes it once in a while will have very different experiences and and needs than someone who carries lots of clothes,wears stuff once, and always manages to fully launder before wearing again,

Yes setting some expectations based on what works at home is the way to go, but they will not fully duplicate the experience at home so some notes from others experiences may help them consider what criteria to apply. Their own experiences ultimately are the bottom line though.
Old 10-13-22, 07:14 AM
staehpj1

Just an aside... This thread made me think how much I hate hot weather. I tend to try very hard to tour when/where it isn't too hot. It never seems to work though since I seem to manage to find unseasonable record heat. That said, one bit of advice I will give that has noting to do with clothing, is to ride at hour when it is coolest. Early morning, even before daylight, can be wonderful. Watching the sun rise over the road ahead when I have a couple hours of riding in is my idea of a nice morning, but I am naturally an early bird. Getting hours in then might allow for hours off during the hottest hours of the day. The evening can be nice too, but the heat often lingers in many places and I prefer to settle in early most of the time.
Old 10-13-22, 06:06 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
This summe,r riding around Quebec for a couple of weeks, I wore 50/50 cotton/polyester tee shirts by Carhartt. Each afternoon, I would shower and wash the shirt. It was sunny, breezy and low humidity most of the time and the shirts would be dry and clean enough the next morning to wear again.
Old 10-14-22, 07:39 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Nylon Cargo Shorts, White T Shirt......wore that combo for a decade with no tree canopy in blast furnace mid Atlantic Heat, and Humidity. Keen Sandals with footy socks.

And like the poster above I hate heat. I really hate summer!
Old 10-21-22, 04:16 AM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Hot & humid, cotton sucks. Hot & dry, it's fine.
Old 10-21-22, 03:32 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 441 Posts
The problem with cotton is not about whether it protects you from the sun. The problem is it dries slowly after getting wet. It doesn't dry when you're wearing it, and it refuses to dry overnight. After a couple of days of moist fermentation, you're wearing donkey diarrhea.
Old 10-21-22, 05:34 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
^That is why I chose 50% cotton, 50% polyester. It did dry overnight, and so I was able to wash it daily and mostly dry it hanging from a picnic table in the afternoon breeze. Granted, it was pretty low humidity which helped.
Old 10-21-22, 08:05 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
Cotton is a fantastic fiber for woven fabrics to be worn loosely in hot weather.
Knit cotton fabrics (the 'jersey' material used in 't-shirts') worn tight-fitting performs terribly.

Woven cotton fabrics can also be outstanding for extreme dry cold.

The way cotton fails is when it is knit into a cheap fabric and worn tight against the skin and in cold wet climates.

Even in hot wet climates, cotton isn't the worst if it is used in a woven fabric and worn loosely. Think about what people wear in jungles and where there are monsoons -- it's not Lycra.

The problem for cycling is that people have become obsessed with aerodynamics. Lowering aero drag demands tight-fitting clothing. Cotton won't work. First, the woven fabrics (canvas, twill, oxford, etc.) won't stretch much. That's one of the qualities that makes them good for both hot and cold climates. Because they won't stretch, they will create a lot of airspace between the skin and the fabric. This encourages ventilation and evaporation for cooling. In cold climates, it allows insulating layers to keep their loft so the dead air space retains heat. Use a tight-fitting, stretchy, knit cotton fabric like jersey and the fiber looses all its benefits. It's just cheap.

For tight-fitting garments that need to stretch, the natural fiber choice is merino and knit merino fabrics are a great traditional choice for cycling.

I've toured in hot dry climates (Western US) and I did it in oxford cotton shirts and cotton duck canvas or twill trousers. Provided I kept the speeds around 10 mph or less, they performed incredibly well. I didn't tour Death Valley, but I did tour the Owens Valley (adjacent valley to the west of Death Valley). Had I wanted to average closer to 15 mph or more, these fabrics would have created a lot of unwanted drag. Frankly, they would be like a parachute. As it was, they provided great sun protection. I kept totally dry. I was cool. I did still get dirty and the fabric is bulkier than synthetics to stow changes of clothing.

I have a lot more backpacking experience than cycle touring. In backpacking, the problem with cotton is the backpack doesn't allow it to fit loosely. It could be fine on the legs, but it's heavier and bulkier than alternatives and weight and bulk are a bigger deal backpacking than cycle touring.

Skiing, I tend to be in pretty wet conditions. I wish it were colder, but a lot of areas in the western US where snow is customary are getting warmer and warmer and we're grateful just to have a few powder days a year and then it just hovers around the melting point. Wool is far better in this environment because of the insulation, breathability, and because it's not so affected by dampness. In dry, arctic-cold regions (well below zero), cotton can work great as an outer layer over wool or down insulation.

For cycling, I just resolved not to go fast. I'm not in a hurry, especially when touring, so I just go slow. I think when I started, I was averaging 10 to 12 mph. Now, I average about 7 mph, and loose-fitting woven cotton is by far my preferred fabric. I'll wear wool when it's cold.
Old 10-21-22, 09:52 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Interesting comments about White T's. Who would wear them tight?

In the heat what was my sweatiest area? My crotch. I have done away with the type of underwear I did wear. Still cotton but much thinner, and fits better.

I don't know how you avoid sweaty butt. I have vented Selle SMP Saddles.

I just don't ride much in heat anymore.
Old 10-23-22, 05:21 AM
afrowheels

Originally Posted by Pratt
This summe,r riding around Quebec for a couple of weeks, I wore 50/50 cotton/polyester tee shirts by Carhartt. Each afternoon, I would shower and wash the shirt. It was sunny, breezy and low humidity most of the time and the shirts would be dry and clean enough the next morning to wear again.
Thanks, this came in at a good time: I was walking past a sale and picked up an Under Armour t-shirt 60%cotton 40%synthetic that I am now trying out.
Old 10-23-22, 05:25 AM
afrowheels

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Just an aside... This thread made me think how much I hate hot weather. I tend to try very hard to tour when/where it isn't too hot. It never seems to work though since I seem to manage to find unseasonable record heat. That said, one bit of advice I will give that has noting to do with clothing, is to ride at hour when it is coolest. Early morning, even before daylight, can be wonderful. Watching the sun rise over the road ahead when I have a couple hours of riding in is my idea of a nice morning, but I am naturally an early bird. Getting hours in then might allow for hours off during the hottest hours of the day. The evening can be nice too, but the heat often lingers in many places and I prefer to settle in early most of the time.
Yeah, that's another issue. I had read that advice before but I am not a natural morning person and on my last tour I slogged through midday heat (40C+ in southern Malawi!). I can do it so long as there's enough water and sun protection, have done long distance hiking under similar conditions, but I think I will need to be more deliberate about avoiding heat if I get this tour off the ground.
Old 10-23-22, 05:28 AM
afrowheels

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Hot & humid, cotton sucks. Hot & dry, it's fine.
I would say my experience of synthetics in hot & humid conditions is worse than my experience of cotton in the same circumstances... Sure, synthetics wick and dry but they also stick to the skin in a different way and I think that was how I got heat rash the first time.
Old 10-23-22, 06:01 AM
staehpj1

I would say my experience of synthetics in hot & humid conditions is worse than my experience of cotton in the same circumstances... Sure, synthetics wick and dry but they also stick to the skin in a different way and I think that was how I got heat rash the first time.
I think that you should use what works for you, but I will just add that synthetic garments vary widely even with the same nominal fiber and most of the very most comfy shirts are not cycling specific garments. Some of my very favorite ones are from North Face or Nike or other non cycling brands and are sold as running, hiking, or general outdoor wear. You just might still find synthetic fabric joy with a bit more experimentation

All that said, I have a hard time imagining wanting to put up with cotton in humid conditions unless you are carrying multiple changes of clothing to change into dry ones daily and be able to launder and dry the old ones before wearing them again. Even then I wouldn't, but at least I could see it. The way I tour, cotton would never be dry, other than once and a while when it was put through a washer and dryer, unless the humidity was very low. Also even when on a hot tour I usually have come chilly conditions at altitude at some points along the way. Deaing with damp cotton would be a ***** if the trip included those conditions. But that is me and the conditions I tend to ride in.