Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giant Defy 3 - Need some help!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-11, 01:49 AM
ImSquinty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

So i recently got back into cycling and pulled out the Giant Defy 3 (2010 Model).

I found a pair of SPD-SL Shoes which perfectly fit me and have got SPD-SL pedals on my bike.

Now, The problem is want to withdraw my foot quickly, I cant and fall over. Its as if i am not quick enough.

When i am approaching the traffic lights, I can withdraw it no problems.

Is there some sort of pedal and shoe that doesnt require so much effort to detach and attach?

I have stacked a couple of times and its doing my head in!

Please help.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-11, 02:11 AM
ADSR
Gentlemen.

Bikes: S-Works e5 Aerotech with 2009 Veloce and a Fulcrum 5s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loosen the release tension.
Old 02-24-11, 05:39 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
You can switch to platforms until you get used to riding again. You can replace one pedal with a clipless.
I would never advise a new or returning rider to go clipless until they are capable of a track-stand.
Old 02-24-11, 05:53 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you look at the back of each pedal, there is a small screw. You will see a "+" and a "-" with an arrow pointing each way. That's how you reduce (the minus) or add tension. You will need an allen wrench.

There should be a little window on the back that will help you know how much tension is in the pedal. The window will go up or down depending. That way you know you have them the same.

And to Michael, above, the track stand comment could not be more incorrect. I've put hundreds of recreational riders on clipless pedals and none of them could do a track stand. It requires knowing what you are doing, getting unclipped.
Old 02-24-11, 06:11 AM
Steev

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unclipping is a learned movement.
Keep practicing, it soon becomes second nature. And drop the release tension as others have suggested.
Old 02-24-11, 11:54 AM
Kylerk

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2011), Santa Cruz Superlight (2000), Jamis Coda Comp (2009)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something in your language tells me that you may not be using the pedal release mechanism correctly. You use the word "withdraw", and that's not really what you are doing when you go through the motion of a release. You just need to do a simple twist of your foot - think "twist". And you mention that there is "so much effort . . .", when there should be very little to no effort involved in the process.

Granted, at first it's an unnatural motion after you have been continuously pedaling with your ankles locked and your feet pumping in a straight north-south direction for efficiency. But a simple twist of the ankle, focusing on the ball of your release foot as the pivot point, is all you need to break that binding that your foot has with the pedal, nothing more. Perhaps you are trying to twist while you are still pedaling. The proper sequence is to focus on the foot you are going to release, then stop the forward pedal motion with that foot and then immediately twist the ankle outwards. Once you get used to the concept it's very easy, and you will find that you will soon be able to do it in one swift motion without thinking about it. Try practicing on a trainer.

Last edited by Kylerk; 02-24-11 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-24-11, 01:59 PM
jbholcom

Bikes: 2011 Gaint Defy 1, 1997 GT Rebound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It just takes practice and patients, plus making sure that the tension is as loose as possible. When riding, always unclip before you think you need to. You also might try unclipping the other shoe. For some reason I can clip and unclip better with my non-dominate foot. Crazy, but it works for me.

Don't worry about looking for another cleat, pedal, or shoe, just keep at it. You'll get the hang of it in no time.