Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Another 'which bike' thread

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-15, 02:09 PM
riding_4_fun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, I have been looking at this forum for a while now, but am a first time poster. I have been thinking for a while now that I want to get a road bike, but so far haven't decided what to go with.

I don't have any intention to race competitively, but I would like a fast bike. For a long time I thought I should get an endurance geometry bike, but I tried some more aggressive (not super aggressive) bikes and liked those too. I am looking to spend around $1000. I will use the bike mostly for fast rides for exercise, but will go on fast rides with friends as well, and would like to be able to keep up. I think I want either aluminum or steel, since I like the versatility (maybe take a rack for some very light cargo) and because carbon won't work with my bike rack.

So far I have tried:

Trek Domane 2.0
Trek Madone 2.1
Felt Z85
Cannondale CAAD8
Trek Emonda S4
Soma Stanyan (built with 105)

My problem is that I have liked all the bikes. I also don't notice a huge amount of difference in the geometry, though I do notice the steel is a little more apt to soak up the bumps. What should I be looking for when I try out different bikes? If it matters I am 25 years old and in fairly good shape.

Last edited by riding_4_fun; 04-14-15 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 04:09 PM
riding_4_fun

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, I forgot to ask:

I have also toyed with the idea of building up a Soma Smoothie, but I am not sure how much that would cost if I went with something like Tiagra level components. I would appreciate your input on this as well.
Old 04-14-15, 04:18 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by riding_4_fun
Oh, I forgot to ask:

I have also toyed with the idea of building up a Soma Smoothie, but I am not sure how much that would cost if I went with something like Tiagra level components. I would appreciate your input on this as well.
I would say absolute cheapest to build up a Smoothie would be $1100 in parts. Assuming you have to pay for build, assume another $150-200

And my estimate is getting Tiagra group from Merlin for $250, getting the steel Soma fork and going absolute budget on everything else (wheels, tires, tubes, saddle, seat post, stem, headset, bar tape, bars. If you want decent components think more like $2000
Old 04-14-15, 04:40 PM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would expect that judicious ebaying could result in 105 level at least components and half decent wheels and cockpit for 900-1000, plus frame, fork, headset, tires/tubes, saddle and anything else you'd like to add.
Old 04-14-15, 06:11 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The giant defy is right in there with the other bikes you have already tried.....worth riding one of those too.

The z85 and the defy were about neck and neck really, that said I ended up with a Fuji Sportiff :-).