Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is there a quick, easy way to wash a bike??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is there a quick, easy way to wash a bike??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-20, 03:47 PM
wdp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in an apartment and deal with this all the time. If it is REALLY dirty find a hose and make it less dirty before bringing it in. If you don't have access to a hose use a soaking wet towel. Inside the apartment just wipe it down with a damp cloth or baby wipes. Run the chain through a rag or shop towel. Lubricate chain and pivot points as necessary. It's a ten minute operation. Also get a stand and a drop cloth, they will make everything easier.
Old 08-03-20, 04:05 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Road bike should be clean, but mountain bikes should be dirty.

I clean my bike every week which is about 150 miles. I do it for multiple reasons:
1) I find problems before breaking down
Bikes aren’t that delicate. You shouldn’t have problems every 150 miles much less have to inspect the bike that often. You shouldn’t have problems that would cause a breakdown in 1500 miles and probably closer to 15,000 miles.

2) a clean drivetrain lasts longer. I have 26,000 miles on a Sram Red cassette and at $400 to replace i'm way ahead of the game.
Yes, and both Kapusta and I have pointed that out. But, often, what some people call a “clean” drivetrain I would call an oily mess.

3) a well maintained bike simple performs better
Not talking about maintenance. Talking about washing. Two different things.

4) personal pride, just like you don't wear dirty cloths when you're out in public.
But sometimes you do wear clothes that look lived in. Think blue jeans.

I can also make my bikes look nice and shiny in about 5 minutes at a carwash. Then I have more time for riding.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-03-20, 04:21 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Bikes aren’t that delicate. You shouldn’t have problems every 150 miles much less have to inspect the bike that often. You shouldn’t have problems that would cause a breakdown in 1500 miles and probably closer to 15,000 miles.
So you've never had a cut tire? I rather replace a tire that has a serious cut than wait for it to blowout on a ride.

I have Ceramic Speed bearings and they need to be greased for best performance and life.

I also clean the brake surface on the carbon wheels and cleanout the brake pad grooves.

I guess if I had a beater bike and only road around the neighborhoor I would not service or clean it. But I have a high performance bike and enjoy when it's working like new... even after 26,000 miles.

And blue jeans are fine, just as long they don't have grease stains on them from working on your car.

BTW... that cassette has 24,000 miles on it. Not what i'd call a oily mess.

And every winter I take it apart and rebuild as much as I can. Am i anal... you bet.

And it's no fun helping someone change a tube for the first time on the side of the road on a filthy bike. I don't carry rubber gloves because I don't expect to get filthy.
Old 08-03-20, 05:30 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
So you've never had a cut tire? I rather replace a tire that has a serious cut than wait for it to blowout on a ride.
Yup. Had cut tires. Washing the bike hasn’t been the key to finding the cut in my experience. Nor has not washing my bike kept me from finding cut tires.

I have Ceramic Speed bearings and they need to be greased for best performance and life.
Every 150 miles?! Ceramic Speed says that the hub and bottom bracket bearing need grease about every 5000 miles...and I suspect that is a very conservative estimate. The whole point of ceramic bearings is that they are harder, smoother, and have less friction than steel ones.

I also clean the brake surface on the carbon wheels and cleanout the brake pad grooves.
I don’t know about carbon rims...I only use aluminum... but I would suspect that they really don’t need cleaning every 150 miles.

I guess if I had a beater bike and only road around the neighborhoor I would not service or clean it. But I have a high performance bike and enjoy when it's working like new... even after 26,000 miles.
I have “high performance bikes” as well. They don’t need cleaning every week. They don’t need cleaning every month. My commuter bike has 25,000 miles on it. I haven’t had to do much of anything to it over those miles.

BTW... that cassette has 24,000 miles on it. Not what i'd call a oily mess.
Because you wash it every 150 miles.

Mine hasn’t been washed since about 2015 in Bensalem, PA after about 700 miles on dirt roads and towpaths Ontario, New York and Pennsylvania.

Works just fine. But cleanliness of the drivetrain is more a function of the lubricant than anything else.

And every winter I take it apart and rebuild as much as I can. Am i anal... you bet.
I’m sure there is some dirt in your spoke nipples. Perhaps you should disassemble the wheels to clean it out. On a serious note, constant disassembly and reassembly can be detrimental to the parts. Threads wear out. Threads can be damaged. Readjustments need to be made if you take everything apart and put it back together. All my bearings are cartridge units that need no maintenance so there is really no need to disassemble my bikes unless I’m changing something. I do change parts constantly.

And it's no fun helping someone change a tube for the first time on the side of the road on a filthy bike. I don't carry rubber gloves because I don't expect to get filthy.
So do you require someone on the side of the road to wash their bike before you touch it? About the only dirt that a tire has on it is from brake dust and/or road dust. There’s not grease on the wheel since brakes don’t work all that well when greased.

I do agree with you that I don’t like greasy chains but I have to deal with those every time I work at my local co-op. I wear gloves there and avoid oil based lubricants on my bikes like I’d avoid someone coughing now.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-03-20, 06:17 PM
oldlady62

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
If your apartment has a parking lot than you can bring down a bucket of soapy water and wash it there.
I did this occasionally to wash my car when I lived in apartments. Would be even easier with a bike. Or find somebody with a sprinkler on and ride through.
Old 08-03-20, 06:20 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Checkout this video:

i follow it during the winter. I wash the commuter everyday and it works great for me. Use a couple water bottles wash/rinse or buy a piss can described above. I do it on the driveway. Take an old t shirt for drying and a lube bottle.

Last edited by WinterCommuter; 08-03-20 at 06:24 PM.
Likes For WinterCommuter:
Old 08-03-20, 09:05 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Bucket, sponge, and rag works for me. No particular schedule, usually just when I'm tidying the garage or doing something equally unnecessary.

I find any kind of soap to be more trouble than it's worth, because it has to be rinsed off. Same with washing windows, I just use plain water.