Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

new bike , one ride and the derailleur hanger is gone?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-20, 04:19 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts

Hello. i still had to show you my new bike , after 15 years of my first mtb i decided to sold it and buy a fresh one without problems.
4 days ago i bought a fresh new cannondale trail 5.
I habe done only one ride with it and everything sent okay , good shifting etc.
Today i taked my bike for a near by ride and i found that the derailleur with the front big cog is not fully shifting well. the bike has been never dropped, neved got a chaindrop , never took a hit from anything.

please take a look at those photos. for me the hanger have an initial breakdown for the following reason:
1- you can see a little line (maybe the breacking point)
2- for me appears a little bent (1-2millimeter)

photos

if you can't see the breaking point or were seems bent please cheeck this image below.

should i contact the store?
the warranty can cover the damage?

Last edited by CrowSeph; 12-19-20 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-19-20, 05:34 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
If the bike is a warranty item. You paid for that so use it. So yes go to where you bought it. Roger
Likes For rhenning:
Old 12-19-20, 05:39 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
If that is indeed a crack I would be back at the store immediately. Let them replace the hanger and give it a new tune-up. It's too new for you to be messing with it yet, if you understand me. Good luck,
Old 12-19-20, 05:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Warranty may or may not cover it. But sometimes to many times the bike shop will want to make it good just so you will continue to be their customer. However if this got damaged because the bike fell over or maybe someone ran into it with something, then warranty probably won't cover it. Generally they cover manufacturing errors, not your mistakes. At least over here they do, every country might be different with what manufacturers cover.

But you won't know if you don't ask. Don't screw it up further before you ask.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-19-20, 08:48 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26424 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...with a long cage derailleur like you have on most MTB's these days, you only have to drop the bike once, or strike something while riding downhill, to bend or crack the (replaceable) hanger. MIght even have happened in transit, or on the showroom floor. Some places let people test ride the bikes...yours could be one.

The key thing here is that it a cheap, easily replaced part on your bike. I think they make them more prone to failure so something else, more expensive and harder to fix, doesn't bend or break....like a safety valve.

I would take it back, because the place you bought it will have access to the replacements. The parts availability thing is seriously bad right now. They might do it for free.
Old 12-20-20, 06:00 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
The fourth photograph shows dirt on the part of the derailleur that would hit the ground in a right-side crash. There's no dirt above or below that part of the derailleur. That indicates that the derailleur was bent in a crash or by dropping the bike on its right side. If the derailleur was damaged that way, you shouldn't expect the bike shop to cover the damage under warranty.
Old 12-20-20, 07:13 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by Trakhak
The fourth photograph shows dirt on the part of the derailleur that would hit the ground in a right-side crash. There's no dirt above or below that part of the derailleur. That indicates that the derailleur was bent in a crash or by dropping the bike on its right side. If the derailleur was damaged that way, you shouldn't expect the bike shop to cover the damage under warranty.
Bike new, i have done one ride and zero crash.
The terrain were not awful but still pretty hard since were full of rocks

Last edited by CrowSeph; 12-20-20 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-20-20, 07:23 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I agree with the others that you should just take it back to the shop and let them handle it.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 12-20-20, 11:27 AM
CrowSeph

The shop was open today.
News, the seller said the shifting problem is not related to the hanger. He touched the cable tension and now semms pretty solid but not if i use the front 36 and the 42 on the back,
Sometimes the chain have issue to get up (this was not a problem the fist time i used the bike, my drivetrain is 2x10 deore).
Basically the warranty do not cover the hanger, but seems the seller would replace it with no problem (doubt).
He said that the hanger will not break and if will there is no pain to make damage to the bike or the derailleur. At this point, what you guys will do? Is better keep this and risk or replace immediately by acquiring one from internet? Here new photos more detailes

https://i.ibb.co/9HfNyh5/IMG-20201220-175102.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/2YjMmXt/IMG-20201220-175059.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/DVtcBbD/IMG-20201220-175055.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/7SPHHS3/IMG-20201220-175135.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/bKjjCSw/IMG-20201220-175137.jpg
Old 12-20-20, 12:35 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Is that a crack in the hanger? If it is.. it will break and take out the drivetrain..possibly spokes. I would have dealer replace it.
Your photos are not good enough to see the crack... not in focus and not enough light at the right angle.
Old 12-20-20, 12:45 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I can't tell if that's a crack but in general hangers are made from malleable material that is intended to bend rather than crack. The replaceable hanger is there to protect your frame in the event of a fall or crash.

For those reasons it's common for derailleurs to go out of alignment but it's readily fixed by bending the derailleur with a tool (e.g. Park DAG-2.2) Any decent shop should have a tool like this and be able to adjust a hanger.
Old 12-20-20, 12:47 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by trailangel
Is that a crack in the hanger? If it is.. it will break and take out the drivetrain..possibly spokes. I would have dealer replace it.
Your photos are not good enough to see the crack... not in focus and not enough light at the right angle.
Any advice how to establish is is a crack or not?
Old 12-20-20, 01:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
Having a spare der hanger is a good idea. These things tend to change in compatibility over the years and when you actually need a replacement having gotten a spare now will make the future repair that much easier/faster.

As to is the hanger currently bent or cracked only someone who has their hands/eyes on it in person can speak to that. But I have seen enough hangers that are bent and there's no obvious scratches or impact marks to see. More then the ground or pavement can and does contact the der, and leave no evidence but the bent hanger. (The bike carried in a car as the most common example). I've seen hangers bent from soccer and basket balls hitting the bike while it's in the garage, as another example.

But that the shop claims that the hanger is not a warranty item is just wrong. It is a component and not considered a frame aspect so the typical warranty period is 1 or 2 years and not the "lifetime" that many frame warranties run for. Whether this situation is a warranty one is a different question. It reads that the shop was willing to replace the hanger as though it is a warranty so that question is somewhat moot.

The shifting into the lowest gear could be a different issue then a bent hanger. A bent hanger usually results in the same effect of unscrewing the low limit screw, allowing more der travel inward and resulting in what some will call an "over adjustment" that can see chain drop off behind that largest cog. Andy