Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road biking with a full-face helmet?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-18, 10:25 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

My 20 year old is recovering from extensive jaw surgery. His surgeon is concerned about him re-breaking his jaws in a bike accident. His bike is his only transport at college (PDX), and also he enjoys recreational riding (SJC/KWVI).

Would a full-face helmet like this Bell offer significant protection?

We have an older version of this one for a younger kid (for mountain biking/bmx), but the helmet is too small. The nice thing is the jaw-guard detaches for when you don't need it. But the concern is that since my older kid would be using it under road conditions, it wouldn't offer any significant benefit in a crash, or worse, might give a false sense of security.

There is also the issue of not wanting to look like a dork, but I think he is over that.
Old 01-13-18, 11:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Might also weigh the restricted vision and hearing of that helmet. Will that make it more unsafe for the ride conditions that will be encountered? I depend on hearing and peripheral vision to alert me to traffic hazards. Particularly fast moving cars that come from behind.
Old 01-13-18, 11:22 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My opinion is that the most likely thing you will injure in a bicycle crash is your hands, followed by your collarbone. The chances of injuring your jaw in a cycling accident seems rare; however, if the full face helmet gives you peace of mind, then go for it (or have your son go for it).
Old 01-13-18, 11:22 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I also think it will squeeze the jaw bones too much (just tried the smaller one on myself). The jaw guard in this case is one size fits all.
Old 01-13-18, 11:34 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
A helmet is one option. Reasonable caution is another.

Bike crashes involving injury to head or face are relatively rare, and fairly avoidable. I'd forego special protection and just ride smart.

Of course, keep in mind this advice comes from someone who doesn't wear a helmet in the first place. But seriously, what are the odds, and how do they compare to simply tripping over a step?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-13-18, 11:44 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthFLpix
My opinion is that the most likely thing you will injure in a bicycle crash is your hands, followed by your collarbone. The chances of injuring your jaw in a cycling accident seems rare; however, if the full face helmet gives you peace of mind, then go for it (or have your son go for it).
I have never hurt my hands in my many race related crashes. Usually shoulders, knees, hips , elbows get the worst of it.
I don't stick my hands out.... "tuck & roll".

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-13-18, 11:49 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The full face helmet would seem to be a good solution for the time being until he is healed.
Old 01-13-18, 11:54 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Riding with a full-face helmet on the road I would think to be less safe than riding with a regular helmet.

First off- I always ride helmeted. I won't bore with the accounts of the number of times I would have ended up in a wheelchair - drooling without my brain bucket.

But the #1 safety device on a bike is your hearing and peripheral vision - you need to be able to see behind you. A full-face helmet impedes both.

Riding with a hoodie: same problem. As an aside: our local hoodie-riders are the most dangerous class of cyclists, as they weave through pedestrians on busy sidewalks on brakeless BMX bikes rushing between drug deals.

I also agree with the argument for a full-face helmet could cause a false sense of security.

Last edited by Dave Mayer; 01-13-18 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 11:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
well like so many other things in the bike biz a $250 helmet is a lot different than a $60 one,

but the expensive one could recover some money in resale..

Full face Motorcycle helmets wont have ventilation holes but they are rigid. .. fiberglass shells..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-13-18 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 12:01 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
My 20 year old is recovering from extensive jaw surgery. His surgeon is concerned about him re-breaking his jaws in a bike accident. His bike is his only transport at college (PDX), and also he enjoys recreational riding (SJC/KWVI).

Would a full-face helmet like this Bell offer significant protection?
Yes, but the reduction in vision and hearing might be a worse trade off. Remember downhill bike racers don't need to look behind them, and neither do motorcyclists (because they have 2 mirrors). I wouldn't wear that helmet on a bike in traffic - on a lonely dirt road, sure, but not in traffic.
Old 01-13-18, 12:37 PM
Eyedrop

Bikes: 1999 Trek 2000T 47cm, 2017 Ribble R872 Ultegra Di2 47cm, 2010 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 15.5in

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the full face helmet is probably overkill, and will simply discourage riding due to excessive sweat, lack of visibility, discomfort, etc... It would be different if it was for a MTB and he was hitting the trails. But on the road? It just doesn't make sense.
Old 01-13-18, 12:39 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Maybe just use uber/lyft until it becomes safe to ride.
Old 01-13-18, 01:10 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Well, it squeezes on the jaw where he has to have a wire to keep it spread, so it got vetoed on that alone. My assumption that it could do no harm wasn't accurate. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-13-18, 01:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
Maybe just use uber/lyft until it becomes safe to ride.
Or the Bus trimet
Old 01-13-18, 01:40 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
But the #1 safety device on a bike is your hearing and peripheral vision - you need to be able to see behind you. A full-face helmet impedes both.
Full face helmets are specifically designed to not impede peripheral vision. And I don't know about you, but I can hear more easily in a full face helmet because it reduces wind buffeting around my ears.
Likes For General Geoff:
Old 01-13-18, 03:01 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Full face helmets are specifically designed to not impede peripheral vision. And I don't know about you, but I can hear more easily in a full face helmet because it reduces wind buffeting around my ears.
I was going to say the same about peripheral vision. I've done many thousands of miles in full-face motorcycle helmets, and they DO NOT impede peripheral vision.

As to the helmet impeding hearing, that's never been a problem either, which you might expect from a more or less unventilated shell. Some are better than others in the wind-noise department, though; my latest (a Bell Revolver) made LOTS of wind noise--until I turned my head about 45 degrees, then, perfect silence. Go figure. None of that should be a concern with a bicycle helmet, though.
Old 01-13-18, 08:23 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
If the reason for the surgery wasn't bike related in the first place, I'd thank him for his advice and move on. If it was, then don't ride until the jaw is healed.

On helmets, they do block some hearing but sight is generally pretty good. I wore helmets for twenty years and rode without for over a decade before that. I might start looking at helmets myself.
Old 01-13-18, 08:47 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'd stop riding until it healed, as inconvenient as that may be. I rode with a fractured right hand for a while against my Dr's wishes, but I dont think I'd do the same after jaw surgery.
Old 01-13-18, 08:53 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
well like so many other things in the bike biz a $250 helmet is a lot different than a $60 one,

but the expensive one could recover some money in resale..

Full face Motorcycle helmets wont have ventilation holes but they are rigid. .. fiberglass shells..
Part of the design of most bicycle helmets is to reduce the acceleration applied to various parts of the head. I'd look at the MTB helmets carefully. If they're designed like road helmets, then in a collision, the impacted part of the helmet crumbles. The foam reduces the acceleration to the head, but there still is a significant impact felt.

Something like a motorcycle helmet, or perhaps even a football helmet, catcher's helmet, or hockey helmet would be designed to take an impact, but not necessarily put pressure on the jaw as part of the impact.

Non cycling helmets would likely be hot, although other sports helmets like football helmets may be tolerable.

Fortunately this is also the winter.

I can't say how other sports helmets would work vs a cycling helmet. Much of a bicycle's impact is reducing the acceleration of one's own body, so perhaps it would be good for running into stuff, or perhaps slow urban traffic.

If I was you, I'd go to a big general sporting goods store, and look at helmets in all sections of the store.

Last edited by CliffordK; 01-13-18 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 10:26 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'm wondering if any helmet will work, if it's secured by a chin strap.
Old 01-13-18, 10:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I'm wondering if any helmet will work, if it's secured by a chin strap.
Good point.

There are chin straps, and under mandible straps. I'm not quite sure why one would choose one or the other, but for example, I think football helmets actually tend to use the chin straps, while bicycle helmets use a strap under the mandible.

It might be an interesting question whether there would be any helmets what would be secure enough without a strap. For example, a tightly fitting over the ear helmet may hold securely enough that a chin strap may not be 100% required as the bike helmets are generally designed for a single impact.

Although tight over the ears may still impinge on the mandible.

Anyway, it might be better than nothing.

Perhaps it is best just to instruct the kid not to hit his noggin.
Old 01-14-18, 07:12 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Just ride the damn bike.
Old 06-26-18, 07:14 AM
satrain18

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Here's a guy, who is a self-proclaimed bike safety advocate, who always wears a full downhill kit in traffic. Not only does it weigh a ton, the helmet also impairs his hearing and vision. Not to mention that it makes him look very shady because he doesn't want to be identified in public.
He even stalked called 911 on a pedestrian and tried to have him arrested threw a cookie at him because he scared him with his air horn.
Old 06-27-18, 02:15 AM
kellyon
Banned.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rudy Project helmets are quite good. Giro is also one of the popular triathlon helmet makers specifically because it offers a wide range of products with various features and in numerous types. They offer best budget helmets.

Last edited by kellyon; 07-13-18 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-28-18, 07:32 AM
LanghamP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have this Bell helmet; you can pick them up on sale occasionally on Amazon for about $140, which is pricey for sure.

It doesn't block hearing at all, the helmet is rather "holey" and light. Now it does block a bit of vision from above because it has a visor but there's no difference for me from side to side from my regular helmet. I'm not a glass wearer.

The whole helmet sort of "floats" on your head, which is a strange experience. I think the idea is that when you crash the rotational forces are a bit less.

The chin bar has no EPS liner like the way a full-on motorcycle helmet has, so the protection if you get a hit to the front is halfway between a motorcycle helmet and an open faced helmet.

One thing I really like about this helmet is how far the back extends downward. It's a lot of protection compared to most other bike helmets.

The conversion process takes like six seconds or less, from full face to open face.

I wear this helmet if I'm looking for trouble since it offers incomparably better protection than my other helmets, and I wonder if I should wear it much more often that I do. Interestingly, the visor can be moved quite a bit up so it doesn't block even slammed stems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.