Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike appraisals

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike appraisals

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-21, 04:41 PM
peashooter

Bikes: Roold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Bike appraisals

Hello! New member here. I am looking for someone who could appraise a vintage bike collection. My brother passed away recently, and he had a wonderful collection of stuff, from the late 1800's to around the 1980's. Almost all of them are European racers other than the 3 Paramounts. Someone named Dave did an appraisal about 3 years ago. I don't have his last name, but he lived in the Carolinas. Hopefully someone here might know him or know someone who could help out. There are about 18 bikes that are restored or nice originals, another 8 or so that are rolling, then loads of parts and frame sets as well.
Thanks, Bill
Old 01-04-21, 04:50 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Could have been Dale Brown of Classic Rendezvous.
Now, someone named "Dave" would be iab , and he's an expert.
But "Dave's not here." (70's reference)

Good luck. I hope you get a good, honest appraisal, and no one low-balls you just because they feel like it.
I went to appraise 2 bikes yesterday and came home with one of them, just because he said the low end of my range was "fair enough."

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 01-05-21 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-04-21, 05:51 PM
peashooter

Thanks RT. I'll check with Dale. Who is the expert iab?
Old 01-04-21, 07:24 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Go with Dale. Robbie was joking about me because my name is also Dave.

Unless North Carolina is inconvenient for some reason. If you give an alternative location, I'm sure we can find some local expertise.
Old 01-05-21, 08:41 AM
peashooter

Dale says he didn't do the appraisal. Brothers name is Robert Atkins if that rings any bells.
Old 01-06-21, 12:14 AM
wesley77803

Bikes: 1989 Trek 660, 1985 Trek 620

Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by peashooter
Hello! New member here. I am looking for someone who could appraise a vintage bike collection. My brother passed away recently, and he had a wonderful collection of stuff, from the late 1800's to around the 1980's. Almost all of them are European racers other than the 3 Paramounts. Someone named Dave did an appraisal about 3 years ago. I don't have his last name, but he lived in the Carolinas. Hopefully someone here might know him or know someone who could help out. There are about 18 bikes that are restored or nice originals, another 8 or so that are rolling, then loads of parts and frame sets as well.
Thanks, Bill
Did you check with your brother's house insurance company? The most likely reason to have a bike collection appraised would be to have it insured. The insurance company may have a copy of the appraisal. It seems very unlikely that the appraiser would not have included contact information on the appraisal. (I am assuming you don't have a copy of the appraisal.)
Old 01-06-21, 04:07 PM
peashooter

Wish I had a copy! No, the appraisal was done as part of a divorce proceeding as the bikes were assets. I need an appraisal now to determine value as part of his estate.
Old 01-19-21, 07:18 AM
peashooter

I got a PM from "Mike" who is interested in the whole collection, but I am blocked from PM's because I am new here. If Mike is on, send me a way to get in touch.
Old 01-19-21, 07:29 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Get you post count over 10 and you're free to PM. Just don't do it with junk posts as those will be deleted.

Old 01-19-21, 07:45 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. This is no doubt difficult for you.

How many bikes are you talking about? There is a C&V valuation forum. You could post pictures (especially of the drive side and showing the condition of the bike). You will get a range of values that you can then use once you do that. The entire collection would go at a discount to the individual prices and you can decide how best to proceed at that point.