Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear Hub Dust cover won't sit straight on Cone

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-21, 11:52 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

While assembling the hub, I could not get the dust cover to sit evenly on the cone. I now hear a rubbing that I think is coming from the dust cover. This in addition to a very noisy freehub body. The hub has been cleaned out and new bearing have been installed. I think that the dust cover may be bent.

Last edited by daniell; 08-28-21 at 04:30 PM. Reason: wrong image no image
Old 08-28-21, 09:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
We can only guess at the design of your dust caps... but the common cup and cone hub uses a couple of different versions. Both are sheet metal that has been formed. Ratchet sockets and a piece of 2x4 wood make a good reforming tool if the "doughnut" is bent. Use a needle nose plier to add wedge points to the dust cover's ID if it needs to be stationary on the cone. The same socket can be used to press the dust cover onto the cone in a controlled manor. Andy
Old 08-28-21, 11:31 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,486 Times in 3,210 Posts
Time to do some metal work.

Just don't post a pic. So much more interesting to guess it all the possibilities.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-30-21, 09:48 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Time to do some metal work.

Just don't post a pic. So much more interesting to guess it all the possibilities.
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-DEORE.../dp/B001GSOKOC
Old 08-30-21, 10:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Does the freehub only make noise in one direction or both directions?
Old 08-31-21, 06:41 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by Iride01
Does the freehub only make noise in one direction or both directions?
By spinning the wheel in my truing stand, I was able to determine that the noise is coming from the freehub part of the hub.
Old 08-31-21, 07:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
By spinning the wheel in my truing stand, I was able to determine that the noise is coming from the freehub part of the hub.
The freehub doesn't have any parts that move when it is being driven in the normal rotation to move the bike forward. So if you have noise in the freehub in that direction, then one of the only things I can imagine is that you have a bent axle rubbing on something or that some other broken or foreign object is rubbing between the axle and the hub or freehub.

If your freehub bearing races are completely clean and free of any lube that has any viscosity to it, then maybe I could imagine the freehub bearings rolling around their races as the wheel spins, but that won't be much noise at all. So if you are doing this in the dead quiet of the morning. Then change your location to be near rush hour traffic on the freeway. If you hear it then, then maybe it's a worry.

If you are concerned about the noise when holding the freewheel still and spinning the wheel... well, we are going to have to sit down for a talk with a cup of coffee or bottles of beer. <grin>

Last edited by Iride01; 08-31-21 at 07:30 AM.