Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What is going on??

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What is going on??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-16, 08:10 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
What is going on??

So, I've been riding regularly the last couple of years. I normally ride 2 to 3 times a week, for 20 to 30 miles each ride. Also, 50, 60 and 70 milers happen about once every couple of weeks. I've never had any real issues with long rides, and even rode 110 about 5 or 6 months ago. The last couple of 50 milers, I have experienced leg cramps at the end. Also, I'm feeling very flushed in the face, and my wife pointed out the veins around my forehead and temple were protruding quite noticeably, to be very detailed.

Now, when I first started back in cycling I was out of shape and weighed about 270 at 6'4". In about 14 months, I lost 100 lbs. When I hit 167 on the scales, and had family and friends commenting more and more about how I was looking much too frail, I started to become concerned. I went to the doc and had some blood work done, and he said everything looked fine. Nevertheless, I started to eat quite a bit more, cycle a little less, and quickly put on about 15 lbs. During this period, is when the issues started happening. Also, not sure if it's related, but several months ago I started taking Glucosamine every day to help with building cartilage back in my knees, which have deteriorated over the years. They were giving me some minor problems, but now seem fine. Btw, I just turned 54 back in August.

Any idea why the cramps and feeling flush after a long ride?

Last edited by one4smoke; 10-05-16 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-05-16, 08:23 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Liked 536 Times in 156 Posts
And your doc says?
Old 10-05-16, 08:25 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,247 Times in 1,509 Posts
Typical signs of dehydration. Another less likely cause is low potassium.
Old 10-06-16, 05:33 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Liked 812 Times in 515 Posts
Magnesium is often a neglected nutrient and reduces cramping. Did they check for thyroid function indicators in blood work???

Glucosamine NEVER did a thing for me so Monday morning my right shoulder joint is being replaced then the knees and then the left wrist. If it works for you, FANTASTIC!!!
Old 10-06-16, 10:23 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,004 Times in 1,423 Posts
Not to freak out or anything, but get thee to a doctor. This does not seem good to me. BP? I very seriously doubt that protruding veins have anything to do with dietary minerals. Cramps, IME, have nothing to do with hydration either. Try 200mg of potassium in the AM and then another 200 at bedtime. That's not enough to do any harm. A banana has more, but the pills help my wife's cramps more than a banana does. Beats me.

Glucosamine has worked very well for my wife an I. The sulfate, not the hydrochloride which is ineffective.
Old 10-06-16, 10:55 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 4,983 Times in 2,292 Posts
V8 is a good pre-ride drink for me for more than 30 miles. NUUN tablets in my bottle on longer rides.
Old 10-06-16, 11:25 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 2,119 Times in 596 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Not to freak out or anything, but get thee to a doctor.
+1. Be a squeaky wheel until you get your concerns addressed.

Old 10-06-16, 11:39 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Liked 969 Times in 742 Posts
You're lucky, I got cramps when I was about 40. I had before and then I just stretched and it was about allright, but once I woke up in the middle of the night in a world of pain, I knew immediately the calfs needed stretching, so I reached out to pull my toes and then it hit my adductors so I started twisting and my shins chipped in and half an hour of torture started.

After a visit to the doctor, I've been stretching my calfs almost every day, just a minutes work. I take care to keep hydrated, also without having done any sports and increased my magnesium intake. Now it's under control, but if slack off in any of those it returns. I also had a lot of trouble with the achilles tendoins, because the calf was pulling on them all the time. For me it turned out not to be a real problem, just something that requires a little bit of care and a lot of attention.
Old 10-06-16, 11:43 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,972 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Typical signs of dehydration.
+1 this.

Another less likely cause is low potassium.
Electrolyte loss accompanies dehydration. It's a good idea to do some electrolyte replacement on long rides particularly in hot weather.
Old 10-06-16, 02:11 PM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with dehydration. Of course, you should see your doctor, and make sure he, or she, is aware of all the symptoms you've described, but what you said sounds very much like dehydration, to me.
Old 10-06-16, 06:03 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Carry this chart with you

You should need to pee at the start of every ride, and remember, the water you drink today will help you the most tomorrow,,,~~

I get up and drink 35 to 40 ounces within the first hour, with coffee, and juice and what ever else.
This big water load up front helps trick your body Into thinking there Is plenty of water so It will use and not conserve water. You like many probably spend most of your life dehydrated...
I continue to drink 8 to 12 ounces of water per hour all through my workout, ride, yard work, day job, whatever..

Now for the secret:

RE-Hydration is often neglected after the ride.....
Use this chart before and AFTER a ride, re-use the chart even on the next day....
I do not start a ride Unless I am a 1 or a 2
I often end rides a 3 or 4 and I Immediately RE-Hydrate back to a 1 ..

Got tired of cramps I did,
,Yes I know how to eat the right way....

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-08-16, 08:20 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Not to freak out or anything, but get thee to a doctor. This does not seem good to me. BP? I very seriously doubt that protruding veins have anything to do with dietary minerals. Cramps, IME, have nothing to do with hydration either. Try 200mg of potassium in the AM and then another 200 at bedtime. That's not enough to do any harm. A banana has more, but the pills help my wife's cramps more than a banana does. Beats me.

Glucosamine has worked very well for my wife an I. The sulfate, not the hydrochloride which is ineffective.
What brand name Glucosamine do you guys use? Where to purchase?
Old 10-08-16, 11:26 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I'll also chime in to say most likely dehydration, and the accompanying loss of electrolytes that go with it. People seem to think that dehydration just means "drink more water." I'm apparently one who loses a lot of salt through sweat-- so I crave it after big rides.
Old 10-08-16, 01:50 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I'll also chime in to say most likely dehydration, and the accompanying loss of electrolytes that go with it. People seem to think that dehydration just means "drink more water." I'm apparently one who loses a lot of salt through sweat-- so I crave it after big rides.
I agree and second this. Along with water you need electrolytes. But you also need to know the difference between muscle cramps and muscle spasms. They are caused entirely by two different issues. If you can massage the affected area and the tightness subsides, it's a cramp. That being said, I also agree with taking potassium supplements. I used to have some terrible cramps, especially at night. I had my potassium levels checked to make sure they weren't on the high side and then started taking potassium supplements every morning along with one banana. Not one cramp in 5 years. I would be careful about taking high dosages of potassium without knowing your baseline level because hyperkalemia will cause cardiac arrhythmia.

As for the flushing of the face and your veins popping out, that would be a "check with your doctor" answer.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 10-08-16, 03:48 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by John_V
I agree and second this. Along with water you need electrolytes. But you also need to know the difference between muscle cramps and muscle spasms. They are caused entirely by two different issues. If you can massage the affected area and the tightness subsides, it's a cramp. That being said, I also agree with taking potassium supplements. I used to have some terrible cramps, especially at night. I had my potassium levels checked to make sure they weren't on the high side and then started taking potassium supplements every morning along with one banana. Not one cramp in 5 years. I would be careful about taking high dosages of potassium without knowing your baseline level because hyperkalemia will cause cardiac arrhythmia.

As for the flushing of the face and your veins popping out, that would be a "check with your doctor" answer.
All throughout both legs, they will start tightening and painfully "draw up" in mainly the hamstring and calf. Not sure if you classify that as cramps or spasms, but that's what is happening.
Old 10-09-16, 01:26 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
All throughout both legs, they will start tightening and painfully "draw up" in mainly the hamstring and calf. Not sure if you classify that as cramps or spasms, but that's what is happening.
I would start riding with two bottles, one with water and the other with an electrolyte drink. If your stomach can handle Gatoraide, Power Aide or any other packaged sports drink then those will do but if not, there are several companies that made electrolyte tablets, mixes and pills that can be purchased at just about any bike or nutrition shop. I would alternate between the water and electrolytes during your ride and see if that helps any. If it does, I would suggest drinking more of the electrolytes and use the water for when you run out of electrolytes. I would also look into taking potassium supplements on a daily basis. If you have had a history of cardiac issues, I would check with your doctor before you start taking potassium supplements. Your doctor will be able to tell you what the maximum dosage of potassium he wants you to have. Keep yourself well hydrated and replenish the electrolytes you lose from perspiration and you should see the leg cramping subside.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 10-11-16, 11:29 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,004 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
What brand name Glucosamine do you guys use? Where to purchase?
We've used, at one time or another, "Solaray Glucosamine Sulfate" and "NOW Glucosamine Sulfate and MSM". Google the stuff in quotes for online suppliers or try a local supplements store.
Old 10-11-16, 11:42 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Just wait til you pass 60!

Great advise in these responses. Thanks for posting.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.