Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

True wireless headphones

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

True wireless headphones

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-21, 05:13 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
If you want to use earbuds try some Shure Aonic 215 Gen 2. Sounds great, others have said my voice sounds clear and crisp in calls so the mic seems good. Only downside is the case sucks, its really hard to get them out of the case.

Oh, and once you get them fitted right they stay put.
How is the wind noise with them with ANC ON/OFF?
Also do hooks and glasses interfere, in terms of comfort?

Originally Posted by Badger6
Jabra Elite 75t, they work great. Your issues sound like they are a defective set. Mine have been fantastic for over a year. No issues at all.
Probably, but seems like a lot of others were experiencing same thing. Yours are regular ones, not Active?
Old 12-06-21, 05:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Jabra Elite 75t, they work great. Your issues sound like they are a defective set. Mine have been fantastic for over a year. No issues at all.
Are those the HRM ones?

For what it's worth, wireless headphones were a frustrating experience on my old S6, but work fine on newer phones. I doubt many people in here are using a phone that old, my guess is it was too slow to keep up with the audio.
Old 12-06-21, 06:34 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
I also had bad experiences with the Jabra Active 75t.

I’ve switched to Jaybird Vistas and have had much better success. Though, like with saddles and shoes, I think it really depends on your ear shape, since they depend on passive sound dampening.
Old 12-06-21, 07:51 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
The need for voice activation makes me wonder how a smart helmet would work. Like the Sena R2 EVO. For a motorcycle I have Cardo and the voice activation works well.

Maybe in the future. Now I use a Plantronics ear piece. Voice activation with my iPhone works but I have to slow down below 15mph. The old M90 works best for me.
Old 12-06-21, 08:03 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
How is the wind noise with them with ANC ON/OFF?
Also do hooks and glasses interfere, in terms of comfort?
They are isolation style earbuds, no ANC. They really block out outside sound well but touch 1 button and you can hear everything around you, almost like they aren't in. I honestly can't say how they are for wind noise as the most active thing I've used them for is walking the dog, but they really block outside sound well. I haven't had any issues with the hooks interfering with my glasses. Once in and using the right sleeve I find I forget I have them in. It helps that I had some Shure SE215 prior to these so I already knew which sleeve fit the best. They were a little pricey but I really like them, enough that my old Plantronics Backbeat Fits have pretty much been retired (although they will likely be used for skiing this winter rather than the Shures since they are easy to tether to my jacket, making them hard to lose.)
Old 12-07-21, 01:04 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Probably, but seems like a lot of others were experiencing same thing. Yours are regular ones, not Active?
Referring to the Elite 75t. They are the 75t. Not sure what you mean by regular. There was a firmware update pushed out last summer (I think) that introduced ANC. Unless you re sporting an over the ear "can", the ANC is going to be limited in effectiveness. As I stated, it has helped, and seems most effective for podcasts, less noticeable for music.
Old 12-07-21, 01:05 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Are those the HRM ones?
They are not.
Old 12-07-21, 05:59 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
I wear bone conductive headphones from aftershokz- sound isn’t the greatest, but you can hear your surroundings and they work great with voice control.

I have hearing loss in one year and they help prevent it getting worse as well.
Old 12-07-21, 06:04 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Referring to the Elite 75t. They are the 75t. Not sure what you mean by regular. There was a firmware update pushed out last summer (I think) that introduced ANC. Unless you re sporting an over the ear "can", the ANC is going to be limited in effectiveness. As I stated, it has helped, and seems most effective for podcasts, less noticeable for music.
There are two 75t models, one has "Active" appended to the name, not for active noise cancelling, but to denote increased sweat/water resistance, for use when exercising, possibly along with other minor differences.
Old 12-07-21, 06:33 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Ahhhhh. Right. Mine are the "active" version. Sorry for the confusion. I wear mine typically on longer solo rides, so they've definitely been exposed to sweat and rain. No issues there either.
Old 12-07-21, 09:29 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,737 Times in 1,012 Posts
I have some Logitec H800 that I use for work that will connect to bluetooth and have a very clear sound and mic.

For my bike, I use the Aftershokz Aeroplex and they are nice until you get over 20 mph, then the sound is muffled from the wind.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 12-07-21 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-07-21, 10:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
this thread has a bit of decent user experience. From my personal use of "knock-offs" vs genuine brands I've found the biggest difference is ultimately price. I rarely get over a years use before the degradation happens. I'm also not the most delicate/protective when it comes to earbuds. I'm usually sweating up a hilly storm, in a factory fog of machinery moistness, jack hammering in the thiccc haze of humidity or crawling thru tight spaces with misting plumbing.
Old 12-08-21, 09:22 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Cool. Thanks for suggestions.
Ended up ordering Jabra Vista 2 and Tribit.
Latter ones to see if they work with motorcycle helmet (since they are very small), but will give them a shot with cycling also.
If Jabra don't work will give Beats PowerBeats pros and Beats Fit Pro a shot.
Old 12-08-21, 08:45 PM
mattswabb

Bikes: Scott Foil, GT Edge titanium, Trek Y bike

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I use aftershokz by aeropex. They are outside of the ear and transmit thru the bone. I also have a quad lock phone mount. When I’m listening to music or podcasts and come to an intersection or place I need to hear I just have Siri pause the music. Then I can hear everything without having something in my ears blocking the sound.
Old 12-09-21, 12:03 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check out the Kofuzi running channel on YouTube. He's mainly a runner but also got into cycling to compete in triatholons. Anyway, one of his playlists has a bunch of reviews of earbuds that cover all the concerns most cyclists and runners would have.

I've been running with a set of Skull Candy Jib True wireless earbuds this year, no complaints. Inexpensive at around $30, no noise cancellation or ear retention, but they're fine for me. Mostly I can't break 'em and I've tried.

I don't wear 'em while riding. Just a personal preference for listening to ambient sounds, not a judgment thing. And without retention, such as over-the-ear hooks, I'd lose 'em. The Skull Candy buds I wear while running occasionally pop out if I nudge them even slightly while adjusting my glasses, etc., although they stay put pretty well otherwise.

On casual group rides there's usually someone with a USB boombox playing music, which is fine with me. Sometimes it's two, three or more competing soundtracks. Not so great.
Old 12-12-21, 10:20 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Originally Posted by canklecat
Check out the Kofuzi running channel on YouTube. He's mainly a runner but also got into cycling to compete in triatholons. Anyway, one of his playlists has a bunch of reviews of earbuds that cover all the concerns most cyclists and runners would have.

I've been running with a set of Skull Candy Jib True wireless earbuds this year, no complaints. Inexpensive at around $30, no noise cancellation or ear retention, but they're fine for me. Mostly I can't break 'em and I've tried.

I don't wear 'em while riding. Just a personal preference for listening to ambient sounds, not a judgment thing. And without retention, such as over-the-ear hooks, I'd lose 'em. The Skull Candy buds I wear while running occasionally pop out if I nudge them even slightly while adjusting my glasses, etc., although they stay put pretty well otherwise.

On casual group rides there's usually someone with a USB boombox playing music, which is fine with me. Sometimes it's two, three or more competing soundtracks. Not so great.
Thanks
Old 12-13-21, 09:44 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
So I am looking to replace my Jabra Jaybird X4 with true wireless ones. I would like to listen to podcasts/music without cranking the volume up, and have microphone good enough so I can voice control through google voice. Not necessary while riding, but at least while stopped at the light. Which also means descent voice quality (again not while riding).

What I have tried so far.
Apple Air Pod Pros paired with iphone. With ANC off wind is too high. With it on, it's better but I still have to increase volume.
Sony wf-1000xm4 paired with Android. To get wind noise down I have to turn ANC on, and the wind reduction. It works until it doesn't. It's very inconsistent, and above 25mph just turns off. Also they were very uncomfortable.
Jabra Elite 75T Active paired with Android. With ANC off they actually worked pretty well with passively blocking wind. Better than AirPod pros with ANC on, and slightly worse then sonys with anc + wind reduction (when it worked). That being said after a week left ear bud started to malfunction and volume was less than right one.

What does everyone else is using?

P.S. I have been here long enough to know that whenever this subject comes up, bunch of people show up to post their self righteous opinions about how dangerous and/or illegal it is. Then others reply and it turns in to a circle jerk. Let me attempt to short circuit this and say "I DON'T CARE". YOU won't change my mind, and chances are with 15+ years and 100k+ miles under my belt I have ridden more with ear buds than you without, and I know what I am doing. If you post here you will just be showing everyone that you just like to hear your own "voice".
I'm surprised to read you say that you need to increase volume on your Air Pods Pro with ANC on. I love mines and I don't have any complaints to make! I use ANC on mines when in closed circuit and Transparency mode when on roads with vehicles (we have a national park nearby that is closed to motorized vehicles during summer - a cyclist's paradise ). What is it exactly that you don't like? It's too loud because you need to raise the volume?

For the dangerous/illegal argument, I am with you on that. Laws are made to protect stupid people and some (if not most) of us aren't. There's is a safe way to use earphones, I agree!
Old 12-13-21, 10:08 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Originally Posted by eduskator
I'm surprised to read you say that you need to increase volume on your Air Pods Pro with ANC on. I love mines and I don't have any complaints to make! I use ANC on mines when in closed circuit and Transparency mode when on roads with vehicles (we have a national park nearby that is closed to motorized vehicles during summer - a cyclist's paradise ). What is it exactly that you don't like? It's too loud because you need to raise the volume?
Yeah, specially at higher speeds. I don't want to damage my hearing with volume too high. The weird thing is. This is my second set of AirPods Pro and I think my first one was better with wind noise with ANC on. Might be me just miss remembering, I didn't have hem long, but I don't remember needing to turn up the volume. Also I don't want to chug my iPhone with me. First it's bulky, and second it's a work phone.

Anyway an update.
I tried Jaybird Vista 2. Off the bike I am not sure ANC makes a whole lot of different. Although I tried them back to back with AirPod Pros and seems like they were about same. Maybe Vista 2 slightly worse. The transparency mode is definitely better with AirPod Pros. It's much more natural. On the bike with ANC on Vista 2s are un-usable. I tried transparency mode, and actually was surprised that it worked. It did remove wind noise, on high setting, but then there was a weird annoying sound. With ANC OFF they functioned just like a regular headphones. On a four hour ride they were comfortable.
Couple of annoyances. "Hey Google" doesn't work. You have to push and hold the control to trigger it. This is also how you control volume, so you will be loosing that. Also I stopped about 3h in at a bike shop, and put them in a case. After I got them out the volume in left one was lower then right one. Hmm.... Putting them back in a case waiting and taking them out didn't help. When I got home I put them in, charged the case, and functionality was restored. Will need to play around more with it.

I also tried Tribit 100h. These don't have any bells and whistles. Sound quality not as good as with Vista 2, although about same as with Jaybird X3s. There is no app, no ANC. Functionality is limited. For example you can start/pause, skip song, but not move back to previous.
Although "Hey Google" works. So WTF Jaybird?!? On a 3 hour ride, on a trainer, they worked fine and I still had 30% charge left afterwards. Case does have fast charging, although it's big. They were slightly less comfortable than Vista 2. I haven't tried them outside on a bike yet.
Old 12-13-21, 11:41 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
It's odd. Aside from the rubber tips not being size appropriately for your ear, I don't see what else could cause this. On my end, I never had to play with volume between the two settings.
Old 12-13-21, 01:12 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Originally Posted by eduskator
It's odd. Aside from the rubber tips not being size appropriately for your ear, I don't see what else could cause this. On my end, I never had to play with volume between the two settings.
Yeah not sure. I tried different sizes. I also tried aftermarket rubber/foam ones. The AirFoams Pro Active. Although I like their feel better, they didn't make a difference either. Maybe on this pair of AirPod Pros ANC is just broken? My previous ones had issues switching between phone and laptop.

Last edited by UmneyDurak; 12-13-21 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-13-21, 02:08 PM
saketme

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone, I recently bought Shure 215 AONIC (gen 2) and I'm having a hard time hearing low frequencies in them. I was wondering if anyone else here is finding a significant difference in comparison to, say, AirPods? For example, I can barely hear the bass in Need to Know at 3m 0s. Most of the reviews say the sound is great. I've already made sure that I'm wearing the earphones correctly and have a proper seal.
Old 12-13-21, 06:44 PM
Hwnryd31

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Jlab over the ear

One more vote for jlab over the ear wireless. They stay in securely, have good quality although I only listen to music for rides, no podcasts. I used Jabra ones in the past and while sound quality was excellent, they just wouldn't stay as securely in the ear and after loosing both while riding I realized I needed different design. Jlabs have done me well for over 6 months now, charge holds great and no problems with sunglasses as well, highly recommend.
Old 12-17-21, 05:55 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Moderation note: We have removed most of the disruptive language about the use of earbuds while cycling. Any further discussion of earbud use as they pertain to safety / legal issues should be directed to A&S.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 12-18-21, 07:29 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by saketme
Hey everyone, I recently bought Shure 215 AONIC (gen 2) and I'm having a hard time hearing low frequencies in them. I was wondering if anyone else here is finding a significant difference in comparison to, say, AirPods? For example, I can barely hear the bass in Need to Know at 3m 0s. Most of the reviews say the sound is great. I've already made sure that I'm wearing the earphones correctly and have a proper seal.
Have tried adjusting the EQ with the ShurePlus Play app? I find the 215 to be a bit heavy on bass so I reduce it a little in the app, and my old ears don't hear the high frequencies as well so I boost the treble a little, then use the app to save it to the earbuds.
Old 12-20-21, 09:55 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Originally Posted by Hermes
Moderation note: We have removed most of the disruptive language about the use of earbuds while cycling. Any further discussion of earbud use as they pertain to safety / legal issues should be directed to A&S.
Thanks.

Update.
I returned Jaybird Vista 2. Although they worked for cycling with ANC off, they were mediocre at everything else, and controls were mushy and annoying. I got PowerBeats Fit Pro. On a bike they just don't work. Either With ANC ON/OFF. Off the bike I like them. So I might keep them for around the office. I think transparency mode is almost as good as AirPod Pros, and ANC also. They also work with Android. Which was one of the requirements for me.
I finally got a chance to try Tribit 100h ones on a bike. They are your basic earbuds. No ANC, controls are limited, but they block enough outside of noise and I can listen to podcasts without raising volume. One downside the charging box is huge. Still they are small and also work with motorcycle helmet on.
I also picked up EarFun Free Mini on sale for 20 bucks. So will try them in upcoming week.

Basically I came to conclusion that there is no good all around earbuds (at least for me). If one wants true wireless with good ANC just go for sony x4 (if they work with your ears), or PowerBeats Fit Pro/AirPod Pros, and for a bike get cheap (by comparison) basic ones like Tribit 100h.