Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cino MMXXI

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-21, 02:26 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,709 Times in 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
nlerner has thrown down the gauntlet to all of us here in New England. If he can make the weather perfect, I'm going to do my darndest to attend in 2022. Neal, I'll be in touch to see how you handled your logistics from Boston to Montana and back. It's not a short drive by any stretch of the imagination!
Bob, I won the prize for having traveled the farthest distance! I was pleased to learn that both United and American fly into Kalispell, which is a reasonably sized airport to support all of those visitors to Glacier Nat'l Park. To get there I flew American from Logan to O'Hare to Kalispell. Return was United from Kalispell to Denver to Logan. Only wrinkle is that TSA decided my bike needed to stay in Denver overnight, but it was delivered to my house late the next day and was undamaged.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 09-03-21, 09:35 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
Great pics everyone....thanks!

Originally Posted by northbend
I’m a little embarrassed to say that I missed a turn on the route and led @VRJAKE (John), @johnnyace (Johnny) down Battle Butte road which eventually took us to the Sunday pranza location at the intersection with Browns Meadow road. At least I knew where we were at so we followed the Sunday route across the valley to where the Day 1 and Day 2 courses intersect a few miles from the bottom of the infamous downhill that most people fear going down after day 1 Lunch.

Should we skip Lunch and go directly to Hot Springs or ride up to Pranza?

John was concerned that his wife Virginia would be worried if he didn’t show up at lunch so off we went up that nasty hill, low on water in the heat of the day.
Holy @#$&^%# you guys rode up that hill? I am seriously impressed. As much as I like to eat I think I would have had to skip lunch.....
Likes For Choke:
Old 09-04-21, 06:54 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
I think this may be the first Cino where we had people ride UP Sullivan hill (the last killer descent after lunch)! I don’t even like to drive up it. Perhaps a somewhat dubious award? But certainly heroic and definitely Cino!
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 09-04-21, 07:14 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Choke
Holy @#$&^%# you guys rode up that hill? I am seriously impressed. As much as I like to eat I think I would have had to skip lunch.....
Originally Posted by mountaindave
I think this may be the first Cino where we had people ride UP Sullivan hill (the last killer descent after lunch)! I don’t even like to drive up it. Perhaps a somewhat dubious award? But certainly heroic and definitely Cino!
I don't think what I did can be called riding, more like a little riding and a lot of walking, haha.
Old 09-04-21, 10:27 AM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 140 Posts
Late to this after party. What a ride! What a country! What a host of very nice people! Perhaps some images not yet captured...though many have been well shared.

Hot Springs art in the alley

Faded Glory

Heros Matt n Scott who led me back to the waterfall!

Andrew riding so fast, creating a dust cloud

The most Heroic Bike I say!

Alex Singers!

Gugie and the matching vintage machinery
Old 09-04-21, 11:34 AM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Looks like you guys were in a Cycling Paradise , I'm envious . Great photos !
Old 10-18-21, 11:24 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Not sure if this is Cino 21 or start of Cino 22

I am already thinking of what I am doing to prep for next years Cino

Ride more, check
Ride more hills, have Kennedy road and Hicks road rides mapped, Check
Ride at altitude....more difficult

work on bike, just starting now to clean up from this year Cino....as you can see from the dust in the pic, and for some reason the wheel need truing, and am working on getting back to the better looking Dura Ace crankset...hence the shiny tripilizer so to be added

goal for next gear: Finish

But utterly amazing event, with such good people, and some crazy riding as he dust and mud splatter show

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 10-18-21, 04:28 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Not sure if this is Cino 21 or start of Cino 22
There is no start or end to Cino, it's a continuum.

It never ends
Old 10-18-21, 05:22 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Ride more, check
Ride more hills...Check
goal for next gear: Finish
Ditto. My biggest problems were an utter lack of confidence in my bike, gearing, and shifting. Finished the PX-10 the day before I left for Cino, so it was not properly vetted. Things that were known small issues quickly became big issues on the gravel roads. Probably elevation played a role, too.

The 2022 Cino rig: updated, upgraded, tested and vetted. I suppose this would be a half-step + granny setup (52/47/32). Tubulars on Mavic GP4 wheels.

Last edited by johnnyace; 10-19-21 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-18-21, 06:48 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

To quote from https://www.cinorider.com/the-cino:

"About “the Cino”
The Cino (chee-no, aka “Cino Heroica”) is a celebration of the cycling days of old, when European road racing was dramatic art and racing’s hero’s were admired as much for their style as their courage. The venues were largely unpaved roads, snaking over hellish mountain passes. Racers rode handmade steel framed bikes that were built as much for style and strength as for speed. The riders drank wine and smoked Gitanes to quell their suffering. “Nutrition” was real food, like cheese, salami, and a baguette. Suffering was an art form taken to a new level by these riders, as they collapsed into the arms of their handlers at race’s end, their faces reflecting something that non-riders will never understand. But at the end of the day, it was all about style, the horrors of the struggle erased by the clink of wine glasses over dinner as the racers celebrated their day’s victories.

This year is the 11th running of The Cino . Over two days, we ride retro bicycles 110 miles of mostly unpaved roads in a part of Montana that hasn’t changed much in 60 years. We eat and drink like kings and queens. We suffer and bicycles break. But as each mile brings a new challenge, life has a new clarity. We don’t forget the experience.

The event started out with 7 riders, we now cap entries at 165. Riders come from all over the US. The ride is a showcase of beautiful machines from the 30’s to the 80’s with names like Cinelli, Masi, Bottechia. But this ride is only partly about the bikes. The ride is a reminder of what cycling is all about.

We ride from Kalispell to Hot Springs over an unpaved, back route. It’s about 60 miles. The roads are rural and unpaved Forest Service roads with little to no traffic. While the roads are dirt and at times rough, they are ride-able on a road bike. The retro, steel framed road bikes that we ride were meant for this challenge. We encourage folks to take their vintage machines off their pedestal, as this is an opportunity to both show them and put them to the test they were meant to take.

This is not an easy ride. 60 miles out and 50 back the next day does not sound like a lot, but it is a very challenging ride and is not one you do without being fit and armed with an inexhaustible supply of curses that will be handy when your last chainring bolt rattles loose or you face that hill after lunch with a mixture of beer and chocolate torte under your belt. Support this year will be limited. People of varying abilities manage it, and suffer accordingly. To quote the first draft of John F. Kennedy famous speech (he eventually decided to go to the moon instead of do Cino): We choose to ride the Cino on bikes older than a decade, and do the other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard."
Old 10-18-21, 08:03 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Ride more
Ride more hills
Jim, thanks for bringing the Cino thread up again.
It was nice to go through all the post ride posts/pictures today reliving that weekend.
You have those glorious Sierras to ride next spring/summer - much much higher in altitude than anything at Cino.
Go get 'em!
...and we'll see you at Cino next year
Old 10-18-21, 08:44 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

@squirtdad,

Prescription: 2 Kings Mountains, 3 Old LaHondas, and 2 Tunitas Creeks (from the Bike Hut side) and call me next September.
Old 10-18-21, 11:34 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
After my last disastrous DNF, I think that my Cino prep will involve fitting air bags or shoulder pads or some such. Perhaps something like this...

bubble soccer players
Old 10-19-21, 06:00 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,709 Times in 2,613 Posts
We got you covered, Dave.

Likes For nlerner:
Old 10-19-21, 07:04 AM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 1,101 Times in 327 Posts
It could be hard to reach the handlebars from your bubble. You might want to consider something a bit more understated and pre 1987.

Last edited by majmt; 12-13-21 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-12-21, 05:25 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Thomas shared a couple of photos with me last night. I think they're pretty nice.

Looking back just before dropping into Hot Springs on the first day.

Looking into town(Hot Springs) the night before Cino.
Old 12-12-21, 07:02 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
there is a reason it is called the big sky country kudos to Thomas's photography

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 12-17-21, 08:28 AM
majmt 

This was posted on another forum and I thought that it might be appreciated here. Not far from where (and when) I grew up. Remember riding like this?

Sort of Proto-Cino (except Aspen lacks the chic refinement of Hot Springs)

Last edited by majmt; 12-17-21 at 12:54 PM.
Likes For majmt:
Old 12-17-21, 09:55 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by majmt
This was posted on another forum and I thought that it might be appreciated here. Not far from where (and when) I grew up. Remember riding like this?

Sort of Proto-Cino (except Aspen lacks the chic refinement of Hot Springs)
Umm, that’s absolutely amazing and unbelievably prophetic: you unofficially heard it here first, but that will actually be our theme this year - early mountain bikes! We’ve been trying to get one of the early gurus of MTBs to join us this year. I won’t jinx it, you’ll know when we know for sure. But plan on finding your pre-1987 mountain bike now!
Old 12-18-21, 06:51 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Umm, that’s absolutely amazing and unbelievably prophetic: you unofficially heard it here first, but that will actually be our theme this year - early mountain bikes! We’ve been trying to get one of the early gurus of MTBs to join us this year. I won’t jinx it, you’ll know when we know for sure. But plan on finding your pre-1987 mountain bike now!
You mentioned the possibility of this on Sunday this year. I guess I should have held on to the 1985 Univega Alpina Uno! Oh well, maybe I can find something that actually fits me.

Now if someone with the initials of TR were to show up, that would be amazing.
Old 12-18-21, 09:30 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by johnnyace
You mentioned the possibility of this on Sunday this year. I guess I should have held on to the 1985 Univega Alpina Uno! Oh well, maybe I can find something that actually fits me.

Now if someone with the initials of TR were to show up, that would be amazing.
I guess I did. Ritchey would be cool, but not it. This guy will be a bit obscure, though he was right in the mix with all of the recognizable names. It was hard to see, but one of his bikes may have been in that video - it sure looked like it.
Old 12-18-21, 10:25 AM
majmt 

i guess i did. :d ritchey would be cool, but not it. This guy will be a bit obscure, though he was right in the mix with all of the recognizable names. It was hard to see, but one of his bikes may have been in that video - it sure looked like it.
ck?
Old 12-19-21, 12:13 AM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Wow, that video takes you back.....the tube socks drying on the log and the giant pots in the fire (!). Afterwards they probably just washed them in the nearest stream. Those were the days.

The bikes were cool too. I broke my 84 RidgeRunner (that was a great bike) gave away the 87 I got as a replacement, sold the 82 and 84 Stumpjumper's but I'm sure I can find something appropriate. Hopefully this year I'll get it together and make it to the show.
Old 12-19-21, 12:26 AM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
But plan on finding your pre-1987 mountain bike now!
Hmmm.....the best I can do is a 1991 model. But it is Italian and full Campy so that should add some points.

Cool idea Dave. And you should send an email to TR, he might well be open to the idea. He goes to Eroica CA so why not Cino?
Old 12-19-21, 06:52 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by Choke
Cool idea Dave. And you should send an email to TR, he might well be open to the idea. He goes to Eroica CA so why not Cino?
The worst a guy could say is, “No,” right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.