Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

In absence of torque wrench - how tight should a thru axle be tightened?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-21, 06:48 PM
geepondy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I have a Specialize Roubaix, first experience with a thru-hole axle (no quick release levers). I recently had the bike shop change out my tires but one of them wasn't holding air so I thought I would investigate/change the tube myself. Using a standard 6mm hex wrench, it seemed the axle was not very tight - perhaps a quarter turn past the hand tightening point. I haven't put it back yet but it seems like there was plenty of room before it would start to get difficult to turn with the hex wrench and one would have to "force it" to further tighten (which I assume one does not want to do). From what I read it seems like typical axle torque settings are 10-12 Nm which seems like that is a lot higher than what the axel was tightened to. In absence of a torque wrench which I think costs about $100 (plus would not have on hand anyways for a field repair), roughly how tight should the axle be tightened to? To the point of where it gets difficult to turn the hex wrench further without "wrenching" it (no pun intended). If one were to over tighten and strip the threads, is the fork ruined? I recently raised my seat post and I know I tightened the clamp way higher than what the thru axle was tightened to.
Old 10-24-21, 08:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3711 Post(s)
Liked 5,557 Times in 2,812 Posts
From your description, it should be much tighter than it was. In fact, I doubt you would strip it using a multi-tool. If you aren't confident, go by a shop, let them torque it with a wrench and get a sense what that feels like with your own tool.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-24-21, 08:49 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
what he said ! Good suggestion !
Old 10-24-21, 08:59 PM
geepondy

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks. If I do, I should go to a different shop then the one that changed my tires, lol as it seemingly obviously was not torqued at all.. FYI, I'm using a regulars 6mm hex wrench, not a multi-tool.

FYI, what kind of grease should one use on the thru-axle? It seems like it's more of a petroleum jelly consistency.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
From your description, it should be much tighter than it was. In fact, I doubt you would strip it using a multi-tool. If you aren't confident, go by a shop, let them torque it with a wrench and get a sense what that feels like with your own tool.
Old 10-24-21, 11:39 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 237 Posts
TBH the torque on thru axles tends not be particularly sensitive. There are a lot of threads of engagment on most forks/frames and it's a pretty coarse thread. That said, if it didn't loosen on you, and the axle wasn't shifting at all, it was as tight as it probably needed to be. Modest force on a normal hand tool is honestly generally about right.

Grease on the thru axle is mostly to reduce the odds of corrosion. Any sort of sane, reasonable grease you would use on a bicycle will be fine applied lightly.
Old 10-25-21, 09:16 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 706 Posts
My first suggestion is buy a torque wrench. But failing that….

12NM is kinda abstract. I’ve never held a newton (fig excluded).
But 12NM = 8.8 foot pounds
8.8’lb is a number I can work with.

So you can extend your wrench to make it a foot long and hang 8.8lb off the end.
Or a 6” wrench and double the weight.

I would not expect you to do this every time, but once in a while to recalibrate your hand might be good.

I own a gun where the manufacturer provided wrench is the correct length so that the weight of the gun provides the correct torque.
Maybe you could use the weight of the bike with a correct length wrench to achieve the same.

Barry
Old 10-25-21, 09:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked 4,858 Times in 3,348 Posts
So you are thinking that your thru-axle that wasn't giving you any problems needs to be tighter than it was so you have some difficulty next time you want to remove it?

I wouldn't try to judge how well something was tightened by how easy it is to loosen.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-25-21, 11:57 AM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
My personal technique is to use my multi-tool to install and remove thru-axles, checking with a torque wrench the first time I install, so that I have a good feel for what it will take if I need to get the wheel off to change a tire mid-ride. If you want a visual reference as to whether or not the axle is moving/loosening, you can use the mechanic's trick of marking the bolt head and frame with a paint pen (auto mechanic...usually race mechanic).
Old 11-02-21, 01:06 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
With a 8 inch or shorter wrench it is difficult to apply more than 10 ft lbs of torque. Now with bike part manufacturers specifying the torque settings so a novice bike shop mechanic can not do damage, there is now a felt need to have a couple of torque wrenches available. Park Tools with their 6mm and 8mm hex wrenches for pedals and cranks the length of the handle prevents overtightening.
Old 11-02-21, 07:11 PM
geepondy

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I tightened it more than the bike shop but not what I think excessively. Using a regular 6" hex wrench, I would estimate I had another 1/8 to a 1/4 turn until it would require more than a modest effort to tighten further. I think I probably tightened my seatpost more. I was realizing, it's really just a bar to hold the hub which does the turning. I can't see how it's going to loosen up even if just modestly tightened.