Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-22, 07:02 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
If you still have the original right side shifter, the shifting pod from the bar end should fit inside. Voila!
Old 02-17-22, 11:23 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by motochick
It's pretty straight forward. 10 speed Shimano bar ends that I mounted to the downtubes, Ultegra 10sp rear and the 600 front that came on the bike. I wish you could remove the ugly black covers on the sifters like you can with the Campys.
Killer. Now I’m wondering about 11-speed….
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 02-18-22, 07:30 PM
motochick 

Bikes: '80 Medici Tourismo, '82 Merckx, '85 Peugeot PSN10, '86 Ironman, '89 Trek 520, '96 Steelman, '96 Torelli CX, '97 Friday Two'sDay, '02 CoMo Speedster, '09 Giant Reign, '10 Canfield, '13 Turner DHR, '16 Chase BMX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
If you still have the original right side shifter, the shifting pod from the bar end should fit inside. Voila!
Brilliant idea but I can't figure out how to get the 10 speed ones apart? I thought I read somewhere a long time ago they were not serviceable??? Any idea?
Old 02-18-22, 08:03 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Brilliant idea but I can't figure out how to get the 10 speed ones apart? I thought I read somewhere a long time ago they were not serviceable??? Any idea?
bigger hammer
Old 02-19-22, 12:26 AM
rccardr 

If you take the right shifter completely apart (yes, completely) the indexing pod will either pop right out or it won’t. Shimano made two different versions of 10 speed bar ends and don’t think you can really tell one from the other unless you disassemble. Pretty sure that yours, which have the friction/indexing option, have a removable indexing pod. But…I’ve been wrong before.
Old 02-19-22, 06:51 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,585 Times in 734 Posts
moto,
I just did this exact thing using SL79 bar ends, 600 levers, and the Drs' good advice.
The "pods" (round black part) are pushed out of the 79s and fit into the old levers.

Centurion, but a lowly and loved Sport DLX
Old 02-20-22, 04:40 PM
ilbarbaro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moving and have to sell my long preserved '88 purple haze Ironman Centurion 50cm "triathlon" bike. Steal is real! Upgraded to brifters. any suggestions on where I should post where buyers might appreciate it as much as folks on this forum?
Old 02-20-22, 06:29 PM
motochick 

Bikes: '80 Medici Tourismo, '82 Merckx, '85 Peugeot PSN10, '86 Ironman, '89 Trek 520, '96 Steelman, '96 Torelli CX, '97 Friday Two'sDay, '02 CoMo Speedster, '09 Giant Reign, '10 Canfield, '13 Turner DHR, '16 Chase BMX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
moto,
I just did this exact thing using SL79 bar ends, 600 levers, and the Drs' good advice.
The "pods" (round black part) are pushed out of the 79s and fit into the old levers.
It worked for the original 600 levers I had!! YAY!! Now I need to source more for my other bikes!!
Old 02-20-22, 07:31 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by ilbarbaro
Moving and have to sell my long preserved '88 purple haze Ironman Centurion 50cm "triathlon" bike. Steal is real! Upgraded to brifters. any suggestions on where I should post where buyers might appreciate it as much as folks on this forum?
PM me
Old 02-21-22, 09:02 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by ilbarbaro
Originally Posted by bamboobike4
PM me
This where sales should occur.....
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage-sales/
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 02-28-22, 12:23 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Been off the bike awhile. Like... since October 2021. Caught the Super Cooties despite being fully vaxxed. Well, caught some kinda respiratory cooties. COVID tests were negative but the symptoms were the same. Not bad enough for the ER, but bad enough for a couple of trips to urgent care for Prednisone. Moderna half-dose booster in December helped. Finally started feeling more or less normal in February.

Worst part may have been the vertigo from upper respiratory and inner ear inflammation. I'd nearly pass out just from leaning over to tie my shoes or squatting to clean up my cats' hairballs... or just turning my head too quickly. Okay, the brain-exploding headaches were the worst part. And the body aches and constant fatigue and blowing gigantic blood clots out my nose every day, those were the worst part too. Hell, it was all the worst part. F-, cannot recommend.

I've been walking most days, jogging on good days, running on reeeaaallly good days, of which there were few.

But Saturday I dragged out the indoor trainer and Ironman and did an easy 2-hour spin while watching a movie (Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter... or Slayer, I don't remember, it was a silly but entertaining movie).

Legs are still pretty good from walking, etc., despite the months of cooties. But my butt hurts. It's gonna take awhile to toughen up the sit bones again. And lose the 10 lbs I gained over the holidays from eating entire pumpkin and pecan pies twice a week, by myself. I regret nothing. Except my 30 waist jeans and shorts no longer fit. Luckily I kept my 32 and 34 waist big boy pants from 2015 when I weighed 175. At 160 now I shouldn't complain, but I felt better at 150.

So, yay, bicycling. Now I'm gonna go soak my aching butt in a bath with Epsom salts.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 02-28-22, 05:47 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Well C-Cat, sorry to hear that, However glad you're coming out of it.
Also, coincidentally,I haven't ridden since October of 2021 either. I got the super cooties on the last week of Aug but initially kept riding then Oct came and stopped working out completely. No swimming, biking, or running. Just pure fatigue/no energy. Every month since then I tried running and that would last one run til the following month.
SInce being put on meds for the first time in my life, I've also had to get a ultra sound and I'm scheduled for a liver biopsy.
Today I will attempt to run again. I actually rode 12 miles last week with my buddy Mike. He called me out of the blue and I accepted the Challenge. I felt surprisingly good hence why I'll attempt the run today.
Unlike in years past I have no plans to compete in triathlons (or any event) this year.
One last thing, my buddy Mike suggested that maybe age is finally catching up to me (I'm 58 and he's 54) and perhaps I'll never get back again. I proceeded to drop him on a 1/4 mile very steep hill and on a 2 Mile flat stretch. Since I hadn't ridden in OVER 4 months!, I attributed it to my '89 Cobalt Blue Marble Fade Ironman...and my month long plant based diet.
Keep the rubber side down Ironkids.

Last edited by texaspandj; 02-28-22 at 05:59 AM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 02-28-22, 06:53 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Sorry to hear about the illnesses. Good luck with the biopsy, Tony. My wife contracted the Rona mid January. My son had it the week or two after. It's possible the daughter and I got it, but no symptoms. It did mess up my ability to go to the gym. Something always does around this time of year. The weather hasn't been good for outdoor cycling. Or when it has, I've had something else to do. Still getting rides done on the stationary bike at the gym. Still running and swimming. Waiting to get the Prestige out and compare it to the other bikes. I did manage to hold my weight through the winter without gaining any, but didn't lose any either. The outdoor season is almost here. I've got 2 half marathons in March. The long organized rides start in April. SOTR in May. Then the fall marathon training starts. I might do a Tri this year.

The red/white beater IM had pitted cones in the front hub. After many months of searching, I found some. I'll be able to use the original hubs instead of getting new ones.

Last edited by seypat; 02-28-22 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-28-22, 07:25 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Well C-Cat, sorry to hear that, However glad you're coming out of it.
Also, coincidentally,I haven't ridden since October of 2021 either. I got the super cooties on the last week of Aug but initially kept riding then Oct came and stopped working out completely. No swimming, biking, or running. Just pure fatigue/no energy. Every month since then I tried running and that would last one run til the following month.
SInce being put on meds for the first time in my life, I've also had to get a ultra sound and I'm scheduled for a liver biopsy.
Today I will attempt to run again. I actually rode 12 miles last week with my buddy Mike. He called me out of the blue and I accepted the Challenge. I felt surprisingly good hence why I'll attempt the run today.
Unlike in years past I have no plans to compete in triathlons (or any event) this year.
One last thing, my buddy Mike suggested that maybe age is finally catching up to me (I'm 58 and he's 54) and perhaps I'll never get back again. I proceeded to drop him on a 1/4 mile very steep hill and on a 2 Mile flat stretch. Since I hadn't ridden in OVER 4 months!, I attributed it to my '89 Cobalt Blue Marble Fade Ironman...and my month long plant based diet.
If Father Time has caught up with you, so what? I actually enjoy it more now that I've accepted that. Go out and do your best, but look around and smell the roses a bit. Don't beat yourself up over your results. The best advice the noobs on the marathon training team get every year is this: Don't worry about your time. Instead, go out and have a good time. If you do that, you'll be back to do it again.

This past weekend, I had to do a long run before heading into taper for the first half on March 12th. I goofed off and basically found every excuse to put it off. Finally rolled out of the house around 2 yesterday. It was between 45-50 and overcast. Perfect running weather. I ended up doing 11..........at a 10:45 pace! Do I care that the pace was that slow. Not really. If someone were to ask how that run went, I'd say "I had a great time." And I did. I only stopped because I had something else I had to do.

A person I used to sit behind at UR basketball games had run every Richmond marathon up until around 5-6 years ago.(There's only one person left now that has done all of them, BTW) He switched to the half. He's now in his mid to late 80's. Says it takes him as long to run the half as it used to to run the full. But he's still out there getting his. That's all that matters. That's also probably why he's still on this side of the grass. That and he's a retired minister.

I guess my post needs some IM content. After using the Microshift brifters and liking them, I'm going to put a set on the MV IM. I detest the long throw of the brake lever shift on Shimano brifters, but Microshift had made me see the light.

Last edited by seypat; 02-28-22 at 07:37 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-28-22, 03:45 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
This where sales should occur.....
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage-sales/
Best, Ben
No sale occurred. The PM was to get details.
Old 02-28-22, 03:48 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by canklecat
Legs are still pretty good from walking, etc., despite the months of cooties. But my butt hurts. It's gonna take awhile to toughen up the sit bones again. And lose the 10 lbs I gained over the holidays from eating entire pumpkin and pecan pies twice a week, by myself. I regret nothing.

So, yay, bicycling. Now I'm gonna go soak my aching butt in a bath with Epsom salts.
Glad you're back at it, and yep, 4 months off here, including a bout with same.
The Springtime Bruised Bottom Blues are right around my corner. But, hey, I'd like to get in on that pie action.....
I think I hear a John Hiatt song being born...(Maybe txpandj can whip us up a few riffs)
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 02-28-22, 05:13 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Tell him "Nuts!" I spent my 62nd year on the planet doing 14 centuries in 11 states.

If someone had said that to me at age 58, I'd have laughed my but off, and said "you gotta be kidding." (I struggled over 50 miles)

This year: climbing. Triple ByPass (CO), maybe Thunder Ridge (VA), Six Gap (GA), maybe Dairyland Dare (WI), Vino Fondo (MO), and of course, Hilly Hundred (IN, but not really hilly, just on day 2) to close it out. Training will include a "Mt Everest day" of 24,000' (25 laps of a 1,000' climb route: seeking out the most difficult climbs around, and figuring out just how slow I can climb.

Last edited by bamboobike4; 03-01-22 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-28-22, 07:20 PM
seypat

Tell him "Nuts!" I spent my 62nd year on the planet doing 14 centuries in 11 states.

If someone had said that to me at age 58, I'd have laughed my but off, and said "you gotta be kidding." (I struggled over 50 miles)

This year: climbing. Triple ByPass (CO), maybe Thunder Ridge (VA), Six Gap (GA), maybe Dairyland Dare (WI), Vino Fondo (MO), and of course, Hilly Hundred (IN, but not really hilly, just on day 2) to close it out. Training will include a "Mt Everest day:" 24,000' and seeking out the most difficult climbs around, and figuring out just how slow I can climb.
Did I just read "Thunder Ridge?" In case you're wondering, maybe you know, that's what the SOTR that pops up on this thread stands for. I will be there as always. A few others connected to this thread should be there. Maybe a few more C & V people and possibly a few more BF members. Come join us. I'll be the slowest climber on the day. Check the website for details. The 75 and 100 routes are the same price and the same route until the 65 mile point. You can sign up for the 100 but choose only 75 at the 65 mile SAG. Again, my lack of climbing skills are legendary. You won't embarrass yourself. You'll drop me on the main climb like everyone else does. Actually, I usually get dropped on the first climb around the 10 mile mark. That's life.

My hotel reservation is for a single. I can change it if you're interested. I'd need to know in the next week or two. Let me know.

Last edited by seypat; 02-28-22 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-28-22, 07:34 PM
seypat

This year: climbing. Triple ByPass (CO), maybe Thunder Ridge (VA), Six Gap (GA), maybe Dairyland Dare (WI), Vino Fondo (MO), and of course, Hilly Hundred (IN, but not really hilly, just on day 2) to close it out. Training will include a "Mt Everest day:" 24,000' and seeking out the most difficult climbs around, and figuring out just how slow I can climb.
The main climb is not that steep. It's just 13ish miles long with a SAG at the halfway point. 1.5-2 hours of climbing. There's a techical descent that you can get in trouble on if you're not paying attention. After that, it's an endless stream of V shaped rollers and some other climbs.
Old 02-28-22, 08:26 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by seypat
Did I just read "Thunder Ridge?" In case you're wondering, maybe you know, that's what the SOTR that pops up on this thread stands for. I will be there as always. A few others connected to this thread should be there. Maybe a few more C & V people and possibly a few more BF members. Come join us. I'll be the slowest climber on the day. Check the website for details. The 75 and 100 routes are the same price and the same route until the 65 mile point. You can sign up for the 100 but choose only 75 at the 65 mile SAG. Again, my lack of climbing skills are legendary. You won't embarrass yourself. You'll drop me on the main climb like everyone else does. Actually, I usually get dropped on the first climb around the 10 mile mark. That's life.

My hotel reservation is for a single. I can change it if you're interested. I'd need to know in the next week or two. Let me know.
I haven’t decided yet, but thanks.
Old 03-01-22, 07:11 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I wasn't go to use them, but I had to know for myself. Since it's a rare bike in good condition, I will keep it stock. The freewheel and chainrings might change, but that's about it besides the tubulars. The front wheel and it's match will go on in place of the originals. Campy Record hubs, the clincher version of the rims, and those tires sent to me from one that shall remain nameless. A 7400 with the long cage swap might go on some time in the future. I managed to acquire a RD-6207 with a broken limit screw along with some shifters and brake levers for $10. I repaired the limit screw so now the RD or just the cage is operational. Hmmmm.

I have one of these hybrids. Bought from someone in Europe a bunch of years back. I still haven't put it to use.

Therefore, I can't say how well it works.

Likes For Roger M:
Old 03-01-22, 07:58 PM
rccardr 

Crime against humanity!
Old 03-01-22, 10:52 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by rccardr
Crime against humanity!
“what is and what should never be…..” - Zep

You think that’s bad, check out the absoluteBlack RD cage…..

https://www.qarvimports.com/products...erailleur-cage
Old 03-19-22, 05:43 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
What's up Ironkids?
After 5 months of Inactivity, I made a plan to ride 2 times a week and I did it! Yay me.
I rode with my friend Mike and it was fun. We rode our river walk for about 10 miles. I was using my Comp TA precursor to the Ironman. The frame was gifted to me by you know who. I took off the tractor tires I was using for gravel and put some new continental ultra 28s on there. For sure it's my most fun bike... probably because I only ride on the river walk with it and lm not in training mode. I just ride with Mike at conversate pace.
I love my Comp TA, Thanks RT wherever you are.
Updated pics coming soon.

Last edited by texaspandj; 03-19-22 at 05:59 AM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 03-22-22, 03:10 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
85' IIRC , I love that red . Anyhow not mine , friendly price though and we all know it's not a 56cm . I'm thinking 62cm . For sale on San Diego , Ca. CL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.