Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I got a professional bike fit today

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I got a professional bike fit today

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-24, 04:41 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
The basic conclusion is what I already strongly suspected, that being my crank arms are far too long.
What is the new crankarm length?
Old 03-28-24, 05:07 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
There are of course much worse ways ta spend your money.

I have always though Short Crank Arms are like taking short steps. And I have seen many people moving along quite quickly taking little bitty steps.

Not me, waking is 30" or more. And my Cycling Crank Arms are at 170-175mm. I have seen females both tall and short prefer 160-170mm.

But do note I am talking about older geometry bikes...
Old 03-28-24, 05:20 PM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
I like learning about bike fitting so when I age more I can knowingly try and adjust fit to get the desired outcome. At least now you have a sheet of information so if you need to setup a new bike or try different setting from that position you have a reference. People are weird since I find the longer the crank the more happy I am, but 175mm is the longest I have used with 165 being the smallest.
It would make sense that being in a TT/aero position shorter cranks could be better. I hate kneeing my stomach.
Old 03-28-24, 05:38 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
IIRC VegasJen mentioned getting custom made cranks in another thread so presumably < 165 mm?
Old 03-29-24, 03:25 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Not all fitters are created equal, and not all people need one.

The fit I got 14 years ago made a huge difference for me on my road bike and the gravel bikes that followed. It was a very in depth one, took many hours. What I learned was that the fit I needed was nearly the opposite of what conventional wisdom (and many hack fitters) would dictate based on my body proportions. After the fit I was much more comfortable on long rides (after I got a frame that fit me properly), and a nagging issue with the back of my knee was resolved.

I traded the fit for some carpentry work for the shop, it normally would have been a few hundred dollars.... and would have been worth every penny for me.
Old 03-29-24, 05:16 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
After many people badgered me about how important it was to get a professional bike fit, I finally pulled the trigger and got fitted this morning…

I left the shop feeling quite underwhelmed.
1) When fitters make minor changes, people complain about the money. When fitters make major changes, people complain about the changes.

2) Could be a case of premature evaluation.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-29-24, 05:20 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
1) When fitters make minor changes, people complain about the money. When fitters make major changes, people complain about the changes.

2) Could be a case of premature evaluation.
Or (3) a misunderstanding of what constitutes "modest tweaks."
Old 03-29-24, 06:40 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Once again, YMMV and if you don't feel at all comfortable on your bike, or maybe it's something that's included with a new purchase, then by all means take advantage of the service. As for me, I'm left with this feeling that I could have just spent that money on getting the shorter cranks like I was already planning and then tinkering with it because I was already pretty darn close.
Was this your road or tri bike? I'm also curious what you said to the fitter. What did you say you were trying to accomplish? Did you say you were looking to improve comfort or performance and did you mention any problems with the present position or things you were interested in improving?

Last edited by asgelle; 03-29-24 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-29-24, 10:48 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
"Scientific" fitting is OK, but I'd rather have the opinion of a veteran coach who has fitted hundreds of riders by eye.
Old 03-29-24, 10:55 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
VegasJen I'd take that as a confirmation that you're intelligent enough and willing to consider enough variations that you've already done everything a pro fitter can do.

Except the cranks, which you'd figured out but hadn't implemented.

Now cut back on the analysis and kibbitzing, get back out there and enjoy riding the bike!
Boy, you are making a seriously dangerous assumption there!

Originally Posted by veganbikes
What it seems nobody has mentioned or asked is what kind of fit you got VegasJen a static fit is generally pretty bad sort of like going to a Subway and saying subs are bad. A static fit could help some but a dynamic fit is going to be the way to go think something like Retül or similar. It also may not be huge tweaks either not everyone needs huge tweaks but having someone point out the tweaks maybe confirm things you had been thinking is not a bad thing. Not everything requires the massive adjustable wrench sometimes a 2.5 hex wrench is all that you need and it may seem more silly to pay money to get that but it can help. Plus most fitters will have a test ride period and then you come back to make additional adjustments as needed or follow up in some way.
I would have to say this was a dynamic fit. Don't remember the brand but it was on one of those bike replicator mock up things. She took measurements off my bike, transferred them to her replicator and then from there she could adjust seat height, crank arm length, reach, stack, etc, etc. Put those little dots on my ankles, knees and hips, then filmed me through my peddle stroke.
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I suspect many of us achieved our “fit” by years of riding and then making adjustments as needed. Undoubtedly a much longer way of doing it but I’ve found a fit I wouldn’t alter no matter who gave contrary advice.
Shorter crank arms was my last major change after spending considerable time on aero bars, it felt like I was nearly kneeing myself in the chest every pedal stroke.
I have made that comment myself, regarding "kneeing myself in the chest". The thing is, this Shiv has the shortest crank arms of any of my bikes at 165mm. When she reviewed my peddle stroke, even with the 165mm crank arms originally on the Shiv, I had over 80* angle at the bottom of my peddle stroke but something like 36* at the top.
I have short legs.
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
She recommended 145mm.
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
IIRC VegasJen mentioned getting custom made cranks in another thread so presumably < 165 mm?
That's the thing. I've suspected for some time I needed shorter crank arms. Originally I ordered a 150mm crank set from a crank shortening service recommended here on this forum. That was for my Ridley Cheetah, which I have yet to install. But literally just a few days after I ordered that crank set I fell into a deal on this Shiv that I could not pass up. So I just ordered the 145mm crank set for the Shiv. I will still put the 150mm in the Cheetah and that bike may end up living in Florida for when I visit family.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 03-29-24, 11:18 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Vegasjen I could have told you that a professional bike fit wouldn't benefit you, but I doubt you would have believed me.
Well, you could always create (another) sock-puppet account, and that persona might be given the benefit of the doubt, initially.
Old 03-30-24, 09:01 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I would have to say this was a dynamic fit. Don't remember the brand but it was on one of those bike replicator mock up things. She took measurements off my bike, transferred them to her replicator and then from there she could adjust seat height, crank arm length, reach, stack, etc, etc. Put those little dots on my ankles, knees and hips, then filmed me through my peddle stroke.
Ok good. Then you had a good opportunity.
Old 03-30-24, 09:12 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Was this your road or tri bike? I'm also curious what you said to the fitter. What did you say you were trying to accomplish? Did you say you were looking to improve comfort or performance and did you mention any problems with the present position or things you were interested in improving?
My observation is that *most* road riders can, through trial and error, eventually get themselves close to a good position -- but *most* TT and Tri bike riders won't.
Likes For RChung:
Old 03-30-24, 10:45 AM
VegasJen

Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
My observation is that *most* road riders can, through trial and error, eventually get themselves close to a good position -- but *most* TT and Tri bike riders won't.
This was my Shiv, tri bike. Prior to last year, I really didn't have a tri bike. Only road bikes that I made do with. I got fitted for the tri bike because I figured it would be easier to transfer a lot of that to a road bike for a little more relaxed fit than it would be to get fitted for a road bike and transfer that to a tri bike with a more aggressive fit.

But to answer someone's question above, my focus of this fit was really being comfortable in the saddle. I'm planning on IMAZ this November and my biggest concern with the bike portion is just being able to tolerate ~7 hours on the bike. My experience thus far, with my longest rides only being in the 50 mile range (including one 70.3) is that after about 3 hours, I am absolutely ready to get off the bike.
Old 03-30-24, 01:08 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
This was my Shiv, tri bike. Prior to last year, I really didn't have a tri bike. Only road bikes that I made do with. I got fitted for the tri bike because I figured it would be easier to transfer a lot of that to a road bike for a little more relaxed fit than it would be to get fitted for a road bike and transfer that to a tri bike with a more aggressive fit.

But to answer someone's question above, my focus of this fit was really being comfortable in the saddle. I'm planning on IMAZ this November and my biggest concern with the bike portion is just being able to tolerate ~7 hours on the bike. My experience thus far, with my longest rides only being in the 50 mile range (including one 70.3) is that after about 3 hours, I am absolutely ready to get off the bike.
With this priority I would have done the fitting on your road bike.
Old 03-30-24, 02:40 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
If you follow all the correct guide lines to fit your bike you should be able to get 95 to 97% there.

If you go see 10 bike fitters you will get 10 different options and a one them will be just like what you had before you saw the bike fitter. So, whose correct?
Old 03-30-24, 11:08 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
I've never gone to a fitter, but the way that I look at it...with a fitter, I would've saved a bunch of trial and error to arrive at the same point I am now. That is if it was someone who knew what they were doing. That being said, I'm pretty "in tune" to my own fit and can quickly diagnose something being "off."

Another thing to consider is, proper fit isn't a static thing. With age, changes in fitness, etc, what you find comfortable might change. When I took a year off from competitive riding and also gained 20lbs, my agro saddle-bar drop and long reach wasn't so easy to live with. Now that I'm back to riding a lot, the long/low fit feels perfectly normal.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 03-31-24, 05:13 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider

Another thing to consider is, proper fit isn't a static thing. With age, changes in fitness, etc, what you find comfortable might change. When I took a year off from competitive riding and also gained 20lbs, my agro saddle-bar drop and long reach wasn't so easy to live with. Now that I'm back to riding a lot, the long/low fit feels perfectly normal.
This is a very good point. For example, I adjust my saddle height occasionally during the year depending on how I feel. Not by a huge amount, but certainly +/- 10 mm.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-31-24, 08:07 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Whenever I get a new pair of eyeglasses, they feel awful. I hate them. wanna throw them in the trash. But I eventually get used to them. But a few years down the line, I need a new set. The old ones "were perfect," and new new set is awful. For a while...

Bike fit is like that.
Likes For bblair: