Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any tips for fighting a headwind?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-12, 05:55 PM
OldManRiley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here in Lansing, the wind has been steadily blowing from the west 15-20 mph more days than not this summer. Great for the ride into town on my commute or to meet up with a group ride, soul-sucking when going back home. To add insult to injury, the road condition is awful and the grade going from east to west easily averages 1-2% over rolling terrain, often hundreds of yards of climbing followed by a short and much-appreciated dip before going back to climbing. The distance I have to head straight west is usually about 9 miles.

I'm already wearing race cut jerseys and riding in the drops, so I'm about as aerodynamic as I can get. You can't shift down and spin up a headwind like a hill. Do any of you who deal with similar situations have some good MENTAL preparation tips? I find it extremely demoralizing to be putting out over 200 watts for miles only to creep along at 11.5 mph. (If you don't believe that's possible, start monkeying with the numbers https://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm).

I've noticed the same thing in fast group rides - no headwind, I can get out and pull for several minutes easily at 18-20 mph. Ask me to go into a headwind, though, and the second I get to the front I start dropping pace. And it's not physical, it's mental. Fighting the wind makes me want to get off the bike and hitch a ride home. I had the same problem in track FWIW.

Any tips besides "Get a skinsuit and time trial helmet" and "embrace the suck" would be really helpful.
Old 08-31-12, 05:57 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by OldManRiley
Here in Lansing, the wind has been steadily blowing from the west 15-20 mph more days than not this summer. Great for the ride into town on my commute or to meet up with a group ride, soul-sucking when going back home. To add insult to injury, the grade going from east to west easily averages 1-2% over rolling terrain, often hundreds of yards of climbing followed by a short and much-appreciated dip before going back to climbing. The distance I have to head straight west is usually about 9 miles.

I'm already wearing race cut jerseys and riding in the drops, so I'm about as aerodynamic as I can get. You can't shift down and spin up a headwind like a hill. Do any of you who deal with similar situations have some good MENTAL preparation tips? I find it extremely demoralizing to be putting out over 200 watts for miles only to creep along at 11.5 mph. (If you don't believe that's possible, start monkeying with the numbers https://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm).

I've noticed the same thing in fast group rides - no headwind, I can get out and pull for several minutes easily at 18-20 mph. Ask me to go into a headwind, though, and the second I get to the front I start dropping pace. And it's not physical, it's mental. Fighting the wind makes me want to get off the bike and hitch a ride home. I had the same problem in track FWIW.

Any tips besides "Get a skinsuit and time trial helmet" and "embrace the suck" would be really helpful.
You forgot HTFU!

If the problem is mental, there are no physical tips that will help you. Sometimes it helps me if I start paying attention to my cadence so that the wind is not a distraction. I do the same when climbing hills, I do not even look at the crest of the hill and just concentrate on my cadence.
Old 08-31-12, 05:59 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Wind and Flats are part of bike riding.

Have fun with your bike rides.

Old 08-31-12, 06:00 PM
OldManRiley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
You forgot HTFU!
I commute on a fixed gear on that route, so I think I'm pretty hard lol. It's not the leg pain that's agonizing, its the combination of leg pain and then looking down at my computer to realize I would probably be faster getting off and running.

Last edited by OldManRiley; 08-31-12 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-31-12, 06:02 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I commute on a fixed gear on that route, so I think I'm pretty hard lol. It's not the leg pain that's agonizing, its the combination of leg pain and then looking down at my computer to realize I would probably be faster getting off and running.
Cover the speed, concentrate on cadence.
Old 08-31-12, 06:02 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

You could be much faster if you were 20 years old.

Old 08-31-12, 06:03 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
I find a head wind more demoralizing than hills too. All I can say is keep an eye on your computer and don't let your speed drop. And ride in the woods. Trees block wind.
Old 08-31-12, 06:08 PM
OldManRiley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
You could be much faster if you were 20 years old.
I'm 26, "old man" is a nickname I picked up in my undergraduate fraternity.

I've actually gotten faster since I was 20! Of course, back then my body was constantly banged up because I played college lacrosse. It took until about age 24 for my knees and stuff to start working properly again.

The "cover the speed concentrate on cadence" is an excellent idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks.
Old 08-31-12, 06:13 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

I'm 26, "old man" is a nickname I picked up in my undergraduate fraternity.

I've actually gotten faster since I was 20! Of course, back then my body was constantly banged up because I played college lacrosse. It took until about age 24 for my knees and stuff to start working properly again.
Your problem is in The Title of your thread.

I use the Wind as a training tool.
I have a triple crank, stand up, lean into the wind and use my weight to move forward.

Do you have a geared bike?

Old 08-31-12, 06:15 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You can't shift down and spin up a headwind like a hill.
Why not? That's exactly what I do. Watts and cadence are watts and cadence.

As for mental, I got a power meter. I don't look at speed, it's just a nice number at the end of a ride which I like to look at. You'll be happy knowing you're putting your wattage out, and the speed means nothing.

BTW, when i have interval days sometimes I specifically save them for the headwind portion of my route. Otherwise I'd be zipping along at 30mph for a few minutes at a time and I end up covering too much ground. I'll inevitably I'll have a stop sign or crosswalk or something come up.
Old 08-31-12, 06:26 PM
OldManRiley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Your problem is in The Title of your thread.

I use the Wind as a training tool.
I have a triple crank, stand up, lean into the wind and use my weight to move forward.

Do you have a geared bike?
Yes, check my sig.

According to the handy dandy calculator I found, if we were equivalent sizes, standing up into a 15 mph headwind and climbing a 1.5% grade, pedaling at an 80 cadence, would require an average output of 300+ watts for 45 minutes (which is how long it takes to go 9 miles at 12 mph). If you can do that on a daily basis sir (and I'm not doubting you can), my hat is off to you - even more if you're mashing the big ring forward into that. WOW!

But I certainly can't, especially when that last 9 miles is at the end of a long day.

Last edited by OldManRiley; 08-31-12 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-31-12, 06:30 PM
OldManRiley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX

As for mental, I got a power meter. I don't look at speed, it's just a nice number at the end of a ride which I like to look at. You'll be happy knowing you're putting your wattage out, and the speed means nothing.

BTW, when i have interval days sometimes I specifically save them for the headwind portion of my route. Otherwise I'd be zipping along at 30mph for a few minutes at a time and I end up covering too much ground. I'll inevitably I'll have a stop sign or crosswalk or something come up.
Looking at my wattage (and kCals burned) for the day in its entirety did make me feel quite a bit better today (I had 36 miles in at a pretty good clip before my return leg). I'll have to start doing that on a regular basis. Unfortunately I'm in law school and just don't have the extra dough to drop on a power meter. YET.
Old 08-31-12, 06:32 PM
DaveWC

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I fight those kinds of windy days all the time. You mention watts, do you measure your power? If you do that makes it easy. Just focus on hitting your target watts & cadence and ignore your speed. I find it easier to keep the watts up going into the wind vs with it. If you maintain the same watts in each direction you'll find your average speed increases.

And yes, a constant headwind is mentally debilitating.

I see you posted at the same time as I did, no power. Focus on cadence into the wind and push harder with it. A common tendency is to coast with wind because the speed looks good.

Last edited by DaveWC; 08-31-12 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-31-12, 07:20 PM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The around and go the other way.
Old 08-31-12, 07:21 PM
Golfster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any tips for fighting headwind...Just one:

Venge
Old 08-31-12, 08:09 PM
SCochiller
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out and backs. Out into the wind, back with it.
Old 08-31-12, 09:16 PM
Spiduhman

Bikes: S2, Wilier GTR (Arr), Giant VT, Myata 3-10

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
It a headwind home for me as well - typically a very light landbreeze in the a.m. heading inland, then 15 - 25 onshore in the evening; one gets used to it.

On the way home, I head out to Morro Bay, then double back and go home on Los Osos Valley Road - so, two upwind legs, one short downwind legs

every
freaking
day

Some days it's still in the morning, or even a slight tailwind, aawesome.

When there' storms brewin', then the winds are mixed.

In the late Summer and Fall, often the daily winds subside some.

So, here's the tip: savour the Spring winds, which ramp up to a steady 25-30, and then gust you with a 35-40; one those days, you just laaugh, then when they ramp back to "normal," it all cool.

Oh yeah, wear a skullcap and pull it over your ears; the farking noise is a big part of the problem.

If it's at all chilly, a helmet cover makes a big difference for your comfort AND speed.

That is all

...except on weekends and holidays, when one can ride in the sweet spot of the day, and piss on the ***ing wind!!
Old 08-31-12, 09:21 PM
KoolAidnPizza

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Just watch the wattage and stay aero. Htfu

Old 08-31-12, 09:39 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Keep in the drops, don't try to mash too much-spin, choose routes that break up legs into the wind, stay in forrested and not open areas if possible, embrace the wind as your hill equivalent.
Old 08-31-12, 09:45 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
I agree that the mental aspect of riding into the wind is a huge part of it. I'm not a great climber, not super fast on the flats, but if it's windy I do o.k.
Years ago I wouldn't have said that as I let the wind get me down. I don't mean to say I enjoy it, but I kinda got over the downer part of wind.
Old 08-31-12, 09:55 PM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Downshift and smile. At least you're riding and not sitting in front of a computer.
Old 08-31-12, 10:50 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
We've had the same kind of summer up here in Boyne City. It's windy every day. I have discovered that the first law of Murphy's Law of Cycling states that if you have a headwind on an out and back ride, you will have a headwind on the return home. We've got hills where wind swirls around who knows where, lakes/sun convection dynamics.....it's always windy. And yes, somedays where I was looking back to see when a jogger was going to drop me.

Just ride in the drops every chance you get and someday it wont be as windy and you'll be sailing along 25mph like a TdF'er without a care.

Ride on.
Old 08-31-12, 10:58 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX
Why not? That's exactly what I do. Watts and cadence are watts and cadence.

I do this too. See, for example, my ride this afternoon. https://app.strava.com/rides/20421069
Old 08-31-12, 10:59 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
You mentioned you're as aero as you can get, so I'll assume you don't have a pannier or other high-drag equipment to bail. And even if you did have a pannier, it would probably be out of necessity if you have to carry work clothes, lunch, and layers for different weather in Michigan.

So with those assumptions out of the way, an aero bar would be the biggest single step forward in efficiency. Mentally, you can look at it as your secret weapon. Hah, take THAT, wind!! I'm an aerodynamic doper and I'M NOT SORRY AT ALL!!
Old 08-31-12, 11:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Also, repeat to yourself: If it was good enough for Eddy, it's good enough for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.