Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Dyno Light for Fast Rural Riding?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12, 12:01 AM
beezaur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm getting ready for a SON dynohub, and am sort of lost on the lights.

I ride pretty much every day, all weather. I am in a rural setting, small town. My daily ride is 11 miles on hilly country roads. Occasionally I do that or similar at night. My existing lights are pretty feeble, limit my speeds quite a bit. I cannot see with oncoming traffic.

I'm set on a dyno hub, but would like to maximize that with switchable front and rear lights, no batteries.

I've been looking at Supernova's E3 Triple, which claims 800 lm peak: https://h1987995.stratoserver.net/mag...e3-triple.html

Matching (?) taillight: https://h1987995.stratoserver.net/mag...festigung.html

It would be nice to be able to go 20+ mph at night if possible. I think. My current setup is more of a 10-mph type of deal. Just thinking of 20 mph in the dark is kind of scary . . .

Is that kind of a setup suitable for speeds over 15 mph?
Old 08-21-12, 12:58 AM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Cyo N Plus, or Edelux. They don't have the raw lumen count, but the light gets laid out just right. You don't end up with an overly-bright area right in front of the bike, which your eyes will "auto-level" to and make it hard to see several seconds ahead. I did tons of highway riding this year with my Cyo N Plus, it's OK. I'd like it to have two or three times the lumens, sure, but only if they're laid out in that excellent beam pattern.

My average speed for my highway rides was 18mph, which means I was frequently cruising in the low 20s. The descents were in the 30mph range, and for that speed, I added my ~360-lumen ShiningBeam S-Mini XP-G, partly to watch for obstructions, and partly to watch for deer! The S-Mini is a serious boost on top of the Cyo N, particularly after my eyes have had several hours to adapt to the Cyo N alone.

The Edelux is based on the reflector from the Cyo N. It uses a copper heatsink to keep the LED cooler (which lets it run a little brighter) and it has a glass lens for maximum transmission. So it's a little brighter than the Cyo N, but at double the cost. Note that there's also a Cyo R, which puts some of the light right in front of the bike. Might be good for slower MUP toodling, but at road-bike speeds, you want that light several seconds down the road. By the time something's within 10 meters, it's too late anyway.

Don't expect miracles from either of those if you're being blasted by oncoming cars on a 2-lane road. In that case, your best bet might be to use a visor or a cycling cap under your helmet, so you can block the headlights and track the roadway. Also, these lights don't spread sideways a lot, which can leave you unable to see far if the road takes a very tight bend, like a U-turn switchback for example.

For the rear light, I know you were looking for dyno power but IMHO a flashing/strobing light is far superior at getting you noticed, and that seems to be mutually exclusive of dyno taillights. Germans... So I have a couple nominees, the super-wideangle RedZone 4 ($100, incredibly tough, USB-rechargable) and/or the tightly-focused Cygolite Hotshot ($35, USB-rechargable, make sure to aim it dead-on). If you prefer dyno, this is supposed to be one of the best: https://www.starbike.com/p/Busch-M%FC...akeTec-4778-en In addition to being the well-regarded Toplight Line Plus, it has a brake-light function. It monitors the dynamo's AC frequency to determine if you're slowing down.

Last edited by mechBgon; 08-21-12 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-21-12, 01:40 AM
akrejci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got an E3 Triple and it is more like in the 400-500 lumen range. I compared it to my Jetbeam BC40 flashlight that is 830 lumens and there is a noticeable difference. The E3 Triple is more of a floodlight. I like it for that since I'm a slower rider, but faster riders may need a thrower light too.
Old 08-21-12, 08:42 AM
krome

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen that taillight in use. I'm unimpressed. There are three high output LEDs with no additional optics, just the optics in the LED packaging. I felt that my Spanninga Pixio provided a better tail light than the Supernova taillight. The Pixio has minimal optics to provide visibility from the sides, and a reflector.

I have not seen an E3 triple headlight in use, no comment on that one.
Old 08-21-12, 09:18 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I think the Edelux probably wins the high speed rural riding crown. Just because you are throwing light everywhere doesn't mean you can see better. The three lights I would consider for this are the Supernova asymmetric, Edelux, and Cyo (60 lux version). These lights don't put out as many lumens, but they put it where you need it for road riding. Sometimes on really high speed turns I have to apex early to get the light where I want it with my Supernova, but I'm not sure that isn't the case with most lights. A helmet light in addition to the headlight really makes sense for that kind of riding.

I have done high speed descents with my Supernova E3 Assymentric and was really happy with it. I had a home built triple with more lumens before, and I couldn't see half the time
Old 08-21-12, 09:23 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I use the Supernova taillight, and don't really trust it to keep me safe. It needs better optics. Mostly I run it because I want a steady light because that helps drivers keep track of where I am. And a steady light is required for riding randonneuring events. I run either a flashing radbot or a PBSF in addition

The B&M taillights seem like better lights. I have one on my commuter, and it's fairly impressive.
Old 08-21-12, 12:48 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
+1 more on the Edelux. 20 mph is no problem, somewhere between 25 and 35 mph I start to be glad for streetlights.

B&M has nice tail lights, and a couple of extra blinkies gives you redundancy (as well as flashing lights to try to catch distracted cagers' attention) for just a little bit more cash.
Old 08-21-12, 10:14 PM
beezaur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone.

I'm leaning toward Edelux in front and the B&M rear that does the brake light thing.

This is going to be such an improvement over what I have now.
Old 08-22-12, 12:02 AM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
For the record, I had a Supernova E3 Pro asymmetric before the Cyo N. The Supernova's beam is wider, but doesn't reach as far. I've been much happier with the Cyo N for riding at road speeds. The wider, shallower beam of the Supernova seems like it would be more suitable to a MUP environment, where you probably need to pay more attention to where the edge is, and are probably going a little slower.
Old 08-22-12, 11:47 AM
krome

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer the Edelux over the Supernova E3 pro. I also like B&M taillights, though I don't have one at the moment. Next time I buy, I'll probably get the Edelux derivatives, the Cyo series, to save a little money. Very happy with the Edelux however. I'm also very happy with the Spanninga products, especially their taillights. Their headlights are more budget oriented.
Old 08-22-12, 03:18 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I have no problems with my E3 asymmetric at any speed I've managed to hit to date, probably most of 50mph on descents. I ride with people with edelux, and I really don't see the difference. My most recent buy was the Cyo, but I haven't used it yet because the frame is still under construction. The better Cyos seem to be the best buy of dyno lights now.
Old 08-26-12, 07:28 PM
minisystem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by beezaur
Thanks everyone.

I'm leaning toward Edelux in front and the B&M rear that does the brake light thing.
I've got an Edelux in front and a fender mounted B&M taillight. Been quite happy with them. I also have an old (5 years now) Supernova with matching taillight. Unlike others, I have no complaints about the Supernova taillight, despite the lack of optics. I've always found it to be sufficiently bright for the city riding that I do, although I also supplement with a PBSF.
Old 08-28-12, 11:13 AM
f1xedgear
screw campy & shimano

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beezaur
Thanks everyone.

This is going to be such an improvement over what I have now.
In case you're still in comparative mode, take a look at the LightOn! dyno head and tail lights. I'm completing my 3rd full year with the set as my primary lights in the next month or so, and I have no concerns about my use of the system on rural roads at speed.
Old 08-29-12, 10:27 AM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another one with the E3 Asymmetric - on two different bikes. No complaints there. I also have the supernova tail light on my commuter - and would agree that it is not optimal - could use better optics, and if I had my 'druthers, I'd have a blinking tail light, but I know that the Germans don't approve of blinking.

I augment the supernova setup with a dinotte tail light in the winter, when I ride more in the dark.
Old 08-30-12, 01:12 AM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I should have the B&M Cyo T Senso Plus in my hands within the coming week and would be more than happy to review/photograph/video it if you can wait that long.
Old 09-02-12, 06:18 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by f1xedgear
In case you're still in comparative mode, take a look at the LightOn! dyno head and tail lights. I'm completing my 3rd full year with the set as my primary lights in the next month or so, and I have no concerns about my use of the system on rural roads at speed.
I got one because the headlight was small and when mounted on 3" mount under the handlebars I can swing it up high for packages on the front rack. They really should introduce a focused beam version as the output is high enough to waste light and blind others if the beam is pointed down the road.
Old 09-02-12, 08:24 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
I got one because the headlight was small and when mounted on 3" mount under the handlebars I can swing it up high for packages on the front rack. They really should introduce a focused beam version as the output is high enough to waste light and blind others if the beam is pointed down the road.
It might make a good "high beam" to complement a Cyo N or Cyo T for, say, descending at 30-40mph where there's a danger of deer on the road. A decent dynamo can power two lights.
Old 10-10-12, 10:00 PM
Heatherbikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am wondering the same thing. I spent some time talking to a guy at a bike shop that had a big dyno hub display to promote them. He showed me some lights and said that were really bright, endelux and b&m. I have the niterider mininewt rechargeable 600 lumen light which I bought last fall in the latest upgrade of brightest and best. I have a drawer of various generations of battery bike lights that have died, bought in a panic, too dim etc.. 600 lumens doesn't seem enough, but could be the beam pattern. It's fine if I am going down a dark road alone, but as soon as I am riding amongst traffic the light is washed out and am stuck with the same problem where I feel like I cannot see and start riding very slowly. And if it's raining? Forget it. Oh, and it gets very very hot, but otherwise it is better than some of the lights out there. The battery is already having some problems with not holding the charge so have had to ride in the lowest setting. I realize lumens aren't everything, but just how bright are some of these dynamo lights? Beam pattern test photos always look impressive, but what would it look like with a long line of traffic coming towards you in rain?
Old 10-11-12, 07:54 AM
ksisler

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Recommend taking a good look at Peter White's site for pictures of beam patterns in use, etc. Then hit the other similar sites as needed to cover others brands Peter hasn't covered. That would have helped you with all the snide remarks about purely chasing lumens instead of focused lighting. If you want non-standard wiring or switches, you can find them there also.
Old 10-11-12, 10:11 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Heatherbikes
600 lumens doesn't seem enough, but could be the beam pattern. It's fine if I am going down a dark road alone, but as soon as I am riding amongst traffic the light is washed out and am stuck with the same problem where I feel like I cannot see and start riding very slowly. ...

I realize lumens aren't everything, but just how bright are some of these dynamo lights? Beam pattern test photos always look impressive, but what would it look like with a long line of traffic coming towards you in rain?
Beam pattern makes a huge difference, and the well-engineered German lights have great patterns.

Can, for example, an EDelux be overwhelmed by lights from a line of oncoming cars? Sure, just like the lights on my car. You learn to look down at the road illuminated by their lights, just like when you're driving a car.

If you're worried about being seen in traffic you might want to pair a dyno-driven LED with a flashing wide-beam light. Of course, some drivers won't see anything -- they have TV shows that prove that!
Old 10-15-12, 03:33 PM
Heatherbikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, I have looked at Peter White's beam pattern page often, watched video of light reviews and other pages. Sure things look bright, but there are other factors.
pdlamb: Driving at night is where I seem to have a night vision glitch. I do try focus on the oncoming lights to see if I am not cursing the cars for leaving the high beams on, but I as my light is lost by the more powerful headlights, I have trouble seeing the area directly in front of me. I am not all that focused on being seen as honestly with all the lights and reflectors I do have, if the drivers cannot see me, then they are being bad distracted drivers.
Old 10-17-12, 07:16 PM
tdister
Just a geek

Bikes: LHT, Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I was buying all-new right now, it would be a supernova combined with something battery powered like the newer cygolights on the handlebars as a highbeam.

I really like my Supernova and prefer it to the B&Ms i've tried since.

The supernova tail light is far from perfect, but it definitely works well enough for me (not including the weak stand light). I drove up behind it and it's hard to miss. Always have a superflash too

Cons to the Supernova/bonuses to a 2 light set-up:

The asymmetrical e3 does too good a of a job with cut-off. It just doesn't stand out unless you are seeing the main beam.

The battery powered light on the handlebar is redundant (in a good way) and 2 lights are more eye catching too, even if running on super low setting just to be seen.

Battery powered lights are relatively inexpensive these days.

The combo allows a true high and low beam so you can dim/brighten as necessary without completely covering/physically adjusting your light up. Some of these lights without a cut off probably are too bright to be running safely on public streets. I have actually heard of some altercations happening over them (among cyclists) locally this past winter.

The stand lights are still pathetic on all of them. the asymmetrical's might as well not be on. A battery light reduces/eliminates this issue this.

I'm running my minewt X2 as the battery light part of the combo and they work very well together. Will be upgrading to a cygolight or similar when it expires.