Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What brand for V-brakes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What brand for V-brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 12:34 PM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
What brand for V-brakes?

I've finally reached the point where I'm ready to replace the 17 year-old cantilever brakes on my bike. I definately want V-brakes but I don't know how much difference brand and level makes. I've been looking at Deore calipers and levers but haven't looked higher than that or at other brands like SRAM or Tektro.

Any recommendations on a specific set? My primary motivator is easier adjustability but I also prefer the greater stopping power and smooth feel of V-brakes. I'm a large clydesdale (350 lbs) and my riding will be all in dry conditions, pavement and hard packed earth.
Old 09-13-12, 12:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Paul is the only one that does not use the frame boss as the inside of the pivot axis.
They Make a stainless steel sleeve to go over the frame boss
and then put O rings in to keep the grease clean.
Return coil springs are counterbalanced with a wrench on the flats,
and an allen wrench holding the adjustment ... [and the brake on]
made in California..

My favorite rim brake is Hydraulic.
Magura HS33 fits on V bosses but as an anchor point, not a Pivot.

smooth progressive braking with plenty of power is a Given..
Made in Germany,

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-13-12 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 12:58 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Tektros are good bang for the buck and they make lots of different levels for different needs. They might even make the ones labeled SRAM as they make brakes for a lot of others also. I have Tektros on a bunch of bikes and am very happy with them. Roger
Old 09-13-12, 01:02 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Avid is a frequently recommended make. (They are a division of SRAM) I was looking at the Avid-Single Digit 7 for a while, but ended up using some generic V-brakes I got from a $20 parts bike from Craigslist.
Old 09-13-12, 01:20 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Avid or Shimano (Deore is good) is good for low budget, Tektro for even cheaper, but have never been impressed by their pads.

Pauls are nice, as are all the parts made by them, but they do cost.

Whatever you look at, as you noted, you need new levers, as canti levers won't work with V's.

Magura's are a good choice, but much more expensive then Shimano or Avids
Old 09-13-12, 04:51 PM
Altbark

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale T1, 1998 Specialized FSR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost anything will be better than canti brakes. I'm using Deore V brakes married to Tektro RL520 brake levers on my Cannondale T1. I'm using Avid Single Digit 5's with Tektro MTB levers on my Kona Lava Dome. Both brake sets work well with a slight advantage going to the Avids. They work slightly better. They were a bit cheaper and came with both a 90 and something like a 120 degree noodle for both brakes. Al
Old 09-13-12, 07:43 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Strictly speaking, there is only ONE brand of V-brake, and that's Shimano. "V-brake" is a registered trademark of Shimano. What you're asking, really, is for recommendations for the best brand(s) of linear pull brake.
Old 09-13-12, 08:14 PM
veggie
certified vegetarian

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, 1988 Cannondale SR2000, 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 1998 Bianchi Sam Remo, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 2009 Soma Rush, 2012 Surly Crosscheck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Altbark
Almost anything will be better than canti brakes.
Very debatable.

Anyways, if you don't want to change levers, mini-v brakes are a good option. Also, It doesn't really matter much what brand of brakes you go with if you replace the pads.
Old 09-13-12, 09:18 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
Avid is a frequently recommended make. (They are a division of SRAM) I was looking at the Avid-Single Digit 7 for a while, but ended up using some generic V-brakes I got from a $20 parts bike from Craigslist.
I have Avid SD7's on my Cross Check and they were easy to set up and center and take the same design of slip-in pads as Shimano. I'm using them with Tektro RL520 levers and the power and modulation are very good.
Old 09-13-12, 10:41 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Paul is the only one that does not use the frame boss as the inside of the pivot axis.
Actually a lot of brakes these days have their own pivot now. Pretty much the entire Shimano lineup from Altus on up, ditto for Avid. On mine, I drill my own grease port through the aluminum arm, so I can re-inject them a couple times a year, particularly in the winter.

In Shimano's lineup, the new Deore 590s are probably the best value. They come with the brake shoes that take replaceable inserts: https://www.aebike.com/Shimano-Deore-...k_p_32729.html The brake shoe set alone would set you back about $15-$18.

Practical tip if/when you install these: loosen up the brake pads on the arms, then put a drop of oil inside the 5mm hex nut that fastens the brake pad, and a drop where the nut contacts the washer. If you assemble them dry, the pad wants to turn with the nut due to the dry metal-on-metal friction.
Old 09-13-12, 10:48 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Both Shimano and Avid make very comparable quality brakes at a pretty low cost.

At 350lbs you want as much stopping power as you can get, the Magura hydro rim brakes are the strongest rim brakes you can get. If you can spend the money you will not regret it, they are nicknames "rim crushers" for a reason.
Old 09-14-12, 01:07 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Avid SD-7s or Shimano XTs are the two I'd recommend. I have both on a couple bikes. I'd also say Avid Ultimates if you've got the cash. They're hella nice brakes. Either way, get a good set of compression-less housing. Avid make one with a red sheath which covers the cable between cable stops creating an semi-full housing run from lever to caliper. And replace the stock pads with some Kool Stop salmon colored pads.
Old 09-14-12, 01:24 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
These work well enough in all conditions (winter, summer, hills, whatever). Just put some decent pads. Shimano Acera:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=34700

These are a bit better. Shimano Deore.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=39004

Deore are some 50% more expensive, but that's like 10 euros extra for better and more durable brakes. I bought Acera and have been happy for over 2 years and over 8000 kilometres.
Old 09-14-12, 02:08 AM
Lasse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget to get good brake pads, they might have a greater impact than the difference between several decent brake models. E.g. Kool Stop salmon coloured ones get good reviews.