Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Beware

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist Beware

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-24, 04:54 PM
Midlifecyclist
Midlifecyclist

Bikes: Far, far too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
You were pretty strident about being in possession of "the fact of the matter" and claiming that I was cherry-picking data to suit "my agenda" and claiming that you "pay attention to the numbers" and shouting "DENSITY" when it was irrelevant to the topic.

All the while, you were fabricating nonsensical statistics. So yeah, you earned what you interpreted as "combat" -- but as I said, the point is that one should not make claims that are unsupportable, as you did. If you found the result unpleasant, don't do that next time.

I fabricated nothing. Your claims are just as unsupportable

I actually find people that get so spun up precisely as you have slightly entertaining. Especially considering the fact that you’re one of those guys that is argumentative with everyone. That’s not making assumptions, it’s plain for anyone to read in your language and the “battles” you seem to love to have in these forums. My brother is a lot like that, so don’t worry, you’re not alone.

Take care Btw, my name is Erik. What’s yours ?
Old 03-28-24, 05:40 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Midlifecyclist
I fabricated nothing.
You fabricated a fatality count of 74 for Los Angeles County. You fabricated 555k bicycle commuters in Copenhagen.

Your claims are just as unsupportable
No, they are not -- and we can see this precisely because I have supported them with the relevant statistics.

I actually find people that get so spun up precisely as you have slightly entertaining. Especially considering the fact that you’re one of those guys that is argumentative with everyone.
I only argue with people who are wrong.

That’s not making assumptions, it’s plain for anyone to read in your language and the “battles” you seem to love to have in these forums.
Yes, you precisely are making assumptions because you do not know me, nor are your reading comprehension skills particularly strong. I do not love to waste my time correcting people such as yourself, who post wildly-incorrect claims without the slightest clue of which they are speaking -- but I like even less allowing such nonsense to remain uncorrected. Especially when that nonsense contributes to cyclists being injured, as yours does.
Old 03-29-24, 01:08 AM
Midlifecyclist
Midlifecyclist

Originally Posted by TC1
You fabricated a fatality count of 74 for Los Angeles County. You fabricated 555k bicycle commuters in Copenhagen.

No, they are not -- and we can see this precisely because I have supported them with the relevant statistics.

I only argue with people who are wrong.

Yes, you precisely are making assumptions because you do not know me, nor are your reading comprehension skills particularly strong. I do not love to waste my time correcting people such as yourself, who post wildly-incorrect claims without the slightest clue of which they are speaking -- but I like even less allowing such nonsense to remain uncorrected. Especially when that nonsense contributes to cyclists being injured, as yours does.

Nice to meet you, Tickle.

Tickle, I’m glad you finally see my point and I’m glad that we could have this constructive debate.

Im excited for the next time that we can get together on a topic and agree further.
Old 03-29-24, 02:05 AM
TC1

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Tickle, I’m glad you finally see my point and I’m glad that we could have this constructive debate.
Im excited for the next time that we can get together on a topic and agree further.
You have not made a point. In fact, just about everything you've written has been just flat wrong. So, no, we do not agree. And if all you've got left is trying to entertain yourself by making up names to call people, consider Twain's sage advice about silence and fools.
Old 03-29-24, 02:59 AM
Midlifecyclist
Midlifecyclist

Originally Posted by TC1
You have not made a point. In fact, just about everything you've written has been just flat wrong. So, no, we do not agree. And if all you've got left is trying to entertain yourself by making up names to call people, consider Twain's sage advice about silence and fools.

You’re starting to come around and I’m glad to find some common ground with you!

I just read this, did you know that nearly 98% of men name Tickle are bullies? It’s weird because their name would imply that they’re cute and cuddly. Quite to the contrary, they feel inferior internally and it causes them to seek out interactions in which they attempt to validate themselves through confrontation. It’s often hard for them to avoid confrontation as they feel as though if they can’t bully themselves into a position they feel they can defend, they feel inadequate.

It’s actually one of the most common antisocial behavior patterns. It’s so prevalent that the frequency it occurs makes the individual feel the need to present their overbearing language and behavior even more to, albeit falsely, prove that their position is the only correct position. This serves to further isolate the individual, causing the behavior to continue and the cycle repeats itself.

You may find that you know someone that displays this type of behavior. But pointing it out to them is virtually pointless as they don’t have the depth of personal development to consider that they may be wrong or that the confrontation is essentially meaningless and has no bearing on either party other than to serve the antisocial’s internal need to continue their antisocial behavior.

Thanks Tickle, I hope you have a nice weekend
Old 03-29-24, 05:16 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
You’re starting to come around and I’m glad to find some common ground with you!

I just read this, did you know that nearly 98% of men name Tickle are bullies? It’s weird because their name would imply that they’re cute and cuddly. Quite to the contrary, they feel inferior internally and it causes them to seek out interactions in which they attempt to validate themselves through confrontation. It’s often hard for them to avoid confrontation as they feel as though if they can’t bully themselves into a position they feel they can defend, they feel inadequate.

It’s actually one of the most common antisocial behavior patterns. It’s so prevalent that the frequency it occurs makes the individual feel the need to present their overbearing language and behavior even more to, albeit falsely, prove that their position is the only correct position. This serves to further isolate the individual, causing the behavior to continue and the cycle repeats itself.

You may find that you know someone that displays this type of behavior. But pointing it out to them is virtually pointless as they don’t have the depth of personal development to consider that they may be wrong or that the confrontation is essentially meaningless and has no bearing on either party other than to serve the antisocial’s internal need to continue their antisocial behavior.

Thanks Tickle, I hope you have a nice weekend
Childish taunting? Really? That was embarrassing to read.

Please either provide statistics from reliable sources that support your claims or concede (if possible, gracefully) that TC1's arguments are at least valid. Or just stop.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-29-24, 05:38 AM
Midlifecyclist
Midlifecyclist

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Childish taunting? Really? That was embarrassing to read.

Please either provide statistics from reliable sources that support your claims or concede (if possible, gracefully) that TC1's arguments are at least valid. Or just stop.

Tickle’s arguments are 100% valid! I never said that they weren’t. Anyone’s arguments can be valid quoting resources that they find support those arguments. I’m guilty of the very same

I’ll wish you the same, safety on the road and happy holiday weekend!
Old 03-29-24, 08:24 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
My guess, which is also not a fact, but is like your mishmash of stats and identification of "average" cyclists and commuters is that one Danish cyclist riding 20 miles daily probably accounts for about the same daily person-miles as 10 to 20 "average" LA cyclists.

Got any stats on how many LA cyclists commute by bicycle 20 miles/day?
Originally Posted by TC1
As already explained, that [stats about LA cyclists and their mileage] and would be a completely meaningless number, even if it existed -- and it doesn't, because no one has ever tracked miles-cycled in the US with any useful degree of precision.
So what is your reference to an LA cyclist riding 24 miles/day equaling the person-miles of 20 Danish cyclists all about? Is it just meaningless rhetoric or what?
Old 03-31-24, 02:59 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
If only Toronto or more cities in North America had the bicycle infrastructure that Copenhagen has. I'd prefer their 'failed' bicycle system than our car-centric one. Riding 1.4km to get to work or school is much better than driving the same distance. And I knew someone who did that.
Old 04-02-24, 01:02 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
my consensus: bicyclists are safest among the Amish
Old 04-10-24, 06:35 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
...the failure of cyclists to adapt to conditions and do what's necessary to keep themselves safe.
Exactly! Whatever it takes to arrive alive.
Old 04-10-24, 07:22 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Exactly! Whatever it takes to arrive alive.
The problem is that there isn't consensus on how best to achieve that. Some cyclists believe they have to flout traffic statutes and cruise in the vehicle lane because supplied bike lanes are death traps. Some believe they aren't safe unless rocking four or more rear flashers, white, or blue colored rear flashers. Some think they have to have 3' long flotation noodles strapped to their rear racks to enforce the 3' passing distance. A&S provides a platform for the unhinged to share their pet 'Stayin' Alive' survival secrets and sometimes their reveals are not pretty.
Old 04-10-24, 07:31 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
The problem is that there isn't consensus on how best to achieve that. Some cyclists believe they have to flout traffic statutes and cruise in the vehicle lane because supplied bike lanes are death traps. Some believe they aren't safe unless rocking four or more rear flashers, white, or blue colored rear flashers. Some think they have to have 3' long flotation noodles strapped to their rear racks to enforce the 3' passing distance. A&S provides a platform for the unhinged to share their pet 'Stayin' Alive' survival secrets and sometimes their reveals are not pretty.
We all die alone. So safety decisions are ours alone, so long as we aren't putting other people in jeopardy. FYI, I use just ONE very bright rear flasher!
Old 04-11-24, 09:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Why do you say that cyclist are flouting the laws when they cruise in the vehicle lane? In my state and most other states I'm aware of, a cyclist is entitled to use the full lane.

Otherwise I generally agree with the sentiment that there is no consensus among us on what makes us safe.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-14-24, 07:36 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Can ridding a bicycle make you a better driver?.
Without a doubt being a motorcyclist and MSF Instructor has made me a better driver and cyclist.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 04-14-24, 07:38 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
We all die alone. So safety decisions are ours alone, so long as we aren't putting other people in jeopardy. FYI, I use just ONE very bright rear flasher!
I switched to a Garmin light/radar about 2 yrs ago. I'd rather ride without a helmet than without my Garmin radar.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 04-14-24, 11:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

While I like my Garmin Varia and use if for every ride, I still don't really know why I need to know that something is coming up behind me. The things behind me have to avoid me until they safely complete a pass. I won't know in time if they intend to harm me to get out of the way. I also tend to know cars are coming up behind me just prior to the Varia notification because I can hear their tires on the pavement or what ever that noise is coming from that they make.
Old 04-14-24, 11:43 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Iride01
I also tend to know cars are coming up behind me just prior to the Varia notification because I can hear their tires on the pavement or what ever that noise is coming from that they make.
Hearing is key! Cycling the Ozarks and Ouachita Mountains there were lots of chicken trucks and log trucks. I could hear them for 30-60 seconds before I ever saw them with my eyes. Not sure how radar would pick them up sooner than my hearing. 30 seconds is a long time to find a spot to pull over onto a grassy berm so we had no conflict (me dying in other words).

On a busy highway my ears cannot detect a car coming up behind me as cars in the opposing lane mask the sounds behind me with their road noise. I wonder if the radar knows the difference between cars moving away or cars approaching me from behind. One thing for sure, My $25 helmet mirror knows the difference. Like you said, I'd ride without my helmet before i ride without that mirror.
Old 04-14-24, 12:17 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I don't use a mirror either. Even with a mirror I don't know how at the last minute I'm going to know that the car intends me harm in time to avoid it. And as I said previously, all traffic behind me is obligated to yield to me until they can pass safely. If that car coming up behind me doesn't see me, then again, how will I know until it's too late? Personally, I'd rather wake up in the ER without having had the scare.

If I didn't have a helmet on when I crashed awhile back, I'd be dead. And that didn't involve any cars or traffic passing me. I was just happily riding about 23mph according to my GPS when it happened.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-14-24 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-14-24, 04:24 PM
MikeDeason

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Interesting read.

I have convinced myself that the less you look the part of a hardcore cyclist, the more comfortable you feel jumping onto a deserted or near-deserted sidewalk when the bike lane suddenly vanishes or becomes too narrow.

The newly installed and much-protested segregated bike lanes here make me feel much more secure on my commute and when going for a family ride to High Park from my house.

https://www.change.org/p/re-evaluati...t-in-etobicoke
Old 04-14-24, 10:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
While I like my Garmin Varia and use if for every ride, I still don't really know why I need to know that something is coming up behind me. The things behind me have to avoid me until they safely complete a pass. I won't know in time if they intend to harm me to get out of the way. I also tend to know cars are coming up behind me just prior to the Varia notification because I can hear their tires on the pavement or what ever that noise is coming from that they make.
if hearing isn't that great due to health/handicap/environment reasons, a radar can be helpful by its alert to determine how to react with the upcoming sewer grate, pothole, oncoming runner, & curbside road debris. repetitive rubber necking may bring about other issues & squinting at a mirror may not be for everyone.
IMO The biggest drawback to a radar with light is the battery runtime life. If configured at the highest settings it could operate for no less than eight hours, then it'd be hard to not have one... IDK of any rechargeable 350 lumens rear tail light that can meet that runtime criteria.
Old 04-15-24, 08:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

If, if, if.... there is always a if! <grin>
Old 04-15-24, 09:12 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
As someone for whom 3mm or so once was the difference between annoyance and grievous or fatal injury, I'm a big believer in the importance of luck.

If we live to talk about it, that's a good thing.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-15-24, 10:25 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
if a law exists, it'll change perspective. If no law backs the language, it's just blabbery.
Old 04-15-24, 10:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Troul
if a law exists, it'll change perspective. If no law backs the language, it's just blabbery.
So this is blabbery! <grin>
Originally Posted by Troul
if hearing isn't that great due to health/handicap/environment reasons, a radar can be helpful by its alert to determine how to react with the upcoming sewer grate, pothole, oncoming runner, & curbside road debris. repetitive rubber necking may bring about other issues & squinting at a mirror may not be for everyone.
IMO The biggest drawback to a radar with light is the battery runtime life. If configured at the highest settings it could operate for no less than eight hours, then it'd be hard to not have one... IDK of any rechargeable 350 lumens rear tail light that can meet that runtime criteria.

Or does a law exist specifically dealing with whatever this is talking about?

I like your term blabbery. I admit I do a lot of it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.