Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Good route Hunt Valley MD to Washington DC?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-15, 07:10 PM
motorapido

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour, tricked out with modern components. Shimano Alfine 11 internal gear hub. Dynamo hub. Titanium racks and bottle cages. Mercier Kilo Wide Tire dropbar singlespeed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

I am seeking a good route from Hunt Valley MD into Washington, DC -- Georgetown. I live in Harrisburg, PA. I can easily ride to York PA and pick up the Heritage rail trail that goes to Hunt Valley, MD. I have never ridden from there to Washington and would like suggestions on a good road route. Scenic does not matter. I am seeking a convenient, safe route. I have ridden the C&O/Great Allegheny Passage from DC to Pittsburgh four times and my next tour, instead of renting a car to drive my bike from Harrisburg to DC, I would like to ride the whole way. Google Maps shows me some bike suggestions, but I am turning to the pros for good suggestions. I will cross-post in the touring forum, although I know this is bad etiquette.
Old 08-21-15, 01:45 PM
derath

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bear in mind I'm sitting on the beach at the moment on my phone so this may not be perfect. But you should be able to follow along. I have used this route myself to get to dc in the past. Also you have the added benefit of almost passing right by my house if you need a place to stop for a snack or bottle refill 😀

From hunt valley I would take Shawan rd west. It will turn into tufton ave and end at worthington. Turn right and take that to reisterstown. Pick up 140 west and then south on rt 91. Right on rt 32 and left onto klees mill (big hill). Right on 26. Left on rt 27. Take that all the way to Gaithersburg. Cross 270 and take 118 to 28 to 112 basically working your way to the c&o canal. Which is a nice easy way into Georgetown.

Last edited by derath; 08-21-15 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-22-15, 01:16 PM
motorapido

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour, tricked out with modern components. Shimano Alfine 11 internal gear hub. Dynamo hub. Titanium racks and bottle cages. Mercier Kilo Wide Tire dropbar singlespeed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Thanks so much for this advice

Originally Posted by derath
Bear in mind I'm sitting on the beach at the moment on my phone so this may not be perfect. But you should be able to follow along. I have used this route myself to get to dc in the past. Also you have the added benefit of almost passing right by my house if you need a place to stop for a snack or bottle refill 

From hunt valley I would take Shawan rd west. It will turn into tufton ave and end at worthington. Turn right and take that to reisterstown. Pick up 140 west and then south on rt 91. Right on rt 32 and left onto klees mill (big hill). Right on 26. Left on rt 27. Take that all the way to Gaithersburg. Cross 270 and take 118 to 28 to 112 basically working your way to the c&o canal. Which is a nice easy way into Georgetown.
I really appreciate this. I fantasize of the day that the York Heritage trail somehow gets extended with either dedicated bike path or at least roads with very well marked and controlled bike lanes to DC. If you know the area northwest of York, I bicycle all the time from Harrisburg to Gifford Pinchot state park to camp overnight. I had been thinking of going through Dover and into York and then picking up the Heritage trail to Hunt Valley. Now I have a good connector idea to get me to the C&O. I really appreciate this.

Ultimately, I intend some day to ride from Harrisburg down to the C&O, then to Cumberland MD and on the GAP to Pittsburgh, and then a road route back to Harrisburg. I'm soon doing my fifth GAP/C&O tour and I need some variety and a much bigger tour for next season.

I just did the Erie Canal trail Buffalo to Albany, with a side trip into Ontario, and loved it. I tour solo and without a partner who knows good routes, it is very helpful to have good advice from route veterans on good, safe bicycle routes to follow.

Thanks again.