Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Upgrading older Kona hardtail

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-24, 01:50 AM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts

I picked up a 2004 Kona Caldera in very nice condition for 300.00, probably as much as one would be worth at best and even though the Deore rear shifter was not working properly and the Hayes Nine brakes had been unused for 5 years due to storage and basically needing an overhaul I decided to change out a few components. The Tioga knobby tires will be replaced with Schwalbe Billy Bonkers Performance as well as XT front derailleurs and shifters. I did not care for the early Hollow tech crankset so went with XT Hollow tech II.

The brakes will be Shimano M 6120 with 180 mm rotors in place of the 160mm. Due to older age I ordered a shorter 50mm riser stem along with a 115mm extension much as I would prefer a cleaner look. Hopefully once the bike is together it will be a nice rider for light trails and gravel. Might look into a good used air shock instead of the stock Manitou spring fork unless it works well enough.

I know many have put higher end components on a good basic frame as parts wear or they want better performance or to lighten the bike. I just like quality even though I will be easily paying more than I did for the bike. Nothing new there!

The Kona as purchased:

Likes For VintageRide:
Old 02-29-24, 03:31 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
For me, nothing says "unmolested" better than a dork disc. Can't wait to see what changes you make, and the final result!
Old 03-04-24, 05:16 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
good purchase
Old 03-08-24, 01:42 AM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
Will update in the near future with images, looks better now, had a Fizik Flight seat with titanium rails which took off a bit of weight, that stock seat actually was relatively heavy. Some of the items are coming from China so might be awhile arriving.
Old 03-08-24, 06:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageRide
Will update in the near future with images, looks better now, had a Fizik Flight seat with titanium rails which took off a bit of weight, that stock seat actually was relatively heavy. Some of the items are coming from China so might be awhile arriving.
It seemed like you had. cool build going and then "items from China" showed up so I am curious if you are building as you stated above or now doing something different? The original build idea was cool hopefully you stick to that.

Selle Italia makes the Flite saddle.