Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Collective volume of your packs or panniers?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-13, 07:02 AM
SmallFront

Bikes: Bullitt Milk Plus with Alfine 11s; Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know I mention my new bike all the time, but I have bought a cargo bike, and I'm trying to figure out how many litres of a bag I want for it for touring on my bike. I am currently considering two different bags from Red Oxx, as I have several of their bags as it stands. I have even had some bags custom made, but for this I would like to go with a bog standard one, as I think they are expensive enough as it is.

Anyway, the first I am considering is their "Big Oxx", which is 30x16x16", but it's slightly too long (27" would be a bit better) and perhaps slightly too tall for my liking. It comes in at 7,680CI, or just under 126L.

Red Oxx Big Oxx

And then there is the little brother. The "Sherpa Jr" which measures 27x15x15" which comes in at 6070 cubic inches, or 99.5 litres. The length of that is perfect, but I wouldn't mind if it was an inch wider.

Sherpa Jr.

They have some smaller bags too, or I could go with an Ortlieb duffel or something. But I figure that it will be easier to carry a single bag, and because of the shape of the cargo platform, I can make a lighterweight copy of the rain top I already have for the cargo platform. In that sense, I don't need the bag itself to be immersable.
I will be sewing myself a sort of "ride pack" which I will place on the back of the platform/below the handlebar, and that will contain my camera, snacks and so on (sort of a pseudo handlebar bag).

Oh, and it would be useful if you also mentioned if you did credit card touring or bring tent and so on.

Myself, I'm used to packing my rowing boat (think "kayak with oars"), but that is in several smaller bags, and as such I do have some really nice equipment that takes up some space, but not huge amounts. I have a down bag, a downmat 9 XL, and a small tent I intend to use (it is an old Hilleberg Akto). I figure I can even do without the sandpegs I have, since I won't be arriving by sea
Old 12-06-13, 07:15 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
In the hiking world, some good advice I've heard is to get the pack you need to carry your stuff, and to get your pack last if you're outfitting for a trip. Self-evident, yes, but everybody packs differently and my needs are necessarily different than yours. I was able to ride a self-contained 7000 km cross-US tour camping most nights with just two standard rear panniers and nothing on front or top of the rack other than a foam pad. Some manage with no panniers. Some absolutely require four panniers and a handlebar bag with a pile of stuff on top both racks, and/or a trailer.

I'm a retired engineer and I can't help but consider a pack-weight-to-payload ratio. In my case, my "net" load was less than 15 pounds, and it felt dumb to use four pounds of panniers and a one pound rack to carry that. When I'm hiking, I carry that load in a 9 oz silnylon rucksack. But the durability of the panniers turned out to be a good thing. Anyway, my point is to also consider the weight of your packs and racks, maybe in proportion to your payload. If you are buying a two pound pack to carry a two pound jacket, you might reconsider.
Old 12-06-13, 07:27 AM
SmallFront

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good points. I am not an ultralighter, I don't want to have to cook on an alcohol stove for instance, or have to search for twigs to make my dinner, I also refuse to sleep on a foam mat (I sleep on the side, mostly). I guess I could "make do" with quite a bit less (and lesser) gear, but I don't want things to be a chore. So I have struck a balance, although I figure that the 9cm thick downmat is perhaps overkill, and at some point I will get a lighter one which packs smaller.

But even if much of your post was about how light you and others are able to pack, it still gave me food for thought. I have set my mind on using my Bullitt cargo bike, though, so I might as well have bring along something comfortable, rather than something that will merely make it possible, if you see what I mean?

I will be (stealth) camping mostly, and I won't be using a tarp, although I will bring my bivvy bag (which takes up the space of a small melon/cantaloupe), besides the tent.

Edit:
As for racks and packs, those bags I linked to are the "packs and racks". My bike is one of these:

And the "cover" I was talking about I would make in a lighter version is one that goes from the front stem to the handlebar stem and is as wide as the cargo bay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Promo.jpg (108.9 KB, 92 views)
7J7C4257-copy.jpg (86.8 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by SmallFront; 12-06-13 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-06-13, 07:45 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
A little trick I use ...

Gather all you think you want to take with you into one spot, and have a good look at the heap.

Divide the heap into "rooms" ...

Pannier 1 contains my "closet" and my "bathroom" ... all the clothing and toiletries I want to take.

Pannier 2 contains my "bedroom" and "kitchen" ... my mat, pillows, sleeping bag, dishes and utensils.

My Carradice contains my "garage" ... tools, and maybe things like sandals for off the bicycle, rain jacket and some other outerwear.

My handlebar bag contains my "office" ... paperwork, camera, and other personal things.

Now take a look at what you've got in each pile, and in particular how much room it is taking up. If it helps, get a rough measurement.

Then go and have a look at panniers etc. and estimate if you think they will hold all the stuff you've got.
Old 12-06-13, 08:13 AM
SmallFront

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hadn't thought of dividing it in heaps, even though I do that when out rowing/camping. For some reason that didn't surface, I suspect because I was able to carry it all in a single bag.
Old 12-06-13, 08:15 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by SmallFront
Anyway, the first I am considering is their "Big Oxx", which is 30x16x16", but it's slightly too long (27" would be a bit better) and perhaps slightly too tall for my liking. It comes in at 7,680CI, or just under 126L.
Wow! That is a lot of space.

I go more toward the other extreme and tend to have less than 40 liters and depending on the trip might have as little as 20 liters. That is with camping and cooking gear. The smaller volume is for bivy/tarp camping. I am likely to be above 30 liters when taking the tent. Not a tour but, on my last backpacking trip I was carrying a bear canister, 4 days of food, fly fishing gear, extra cooking gear to fry fish, and still easily fit it all in a 45 liter pack.

Also, on the relatively rare occasions when I do take a tent I generally prefer to carry it outside of the bags. That way if it has to be put away wet the moisture doesn't get into other stuff. If it is rolled with the floor on the outside it doesn't seem to get any wetter even in an all day rain. So you may want to consider sizing the bags with that in mind.
Old 12-06-13, 09:47 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
If I'm going light (for me), I use two rear panniers totaling 40 L.
If I'm going to be gone longer or not sure what to expect of weather conditions or need to pack more food because not likely available, or want more room to bring back goodies, or aid the Mrs., (list goes on) I add two panniers in the front and I now have 65 liters.
Credit card touring varies but I often get by with my smallest one 15 L bag or even just a rear rack trunk bag.
Old 12-06-13, 09:55 AM
mobile_simon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rear Panniers: 40l
Front Panniers: 30l
Drybags x 2: 40l

and that is what i use for the long haul.
Old 12-06-13, 10:18 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Front bag: 6 litres
Rear saddlebag: 24 litres

I take a very compressible nylon backpack if I need any extra space and there is ample room to strap stuff to the saddlebag or use it's longflap extension
Old 12-06-13, 10:38 AM
SmallFront

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Wow! That is a lot of space.
Well, the floor of the platform is the size it is, regardless of the size of bag(s) I put on it.

I go more toward the other extreme and tend to have less than 40 liters and depending on the trip might have as little as 20 liters.
I don't really have an "end" on the bell curve. I often travel by plane to somewhere with only a 20L bag, and that includes a computer and camera.
I don't necessarily need to fill the bag, but since the bags I have mentioned comes with compression straps and rucksack straps, I like to be able to carry the thing, hopefully for a short distance.

That is with camping and cooking gear. The smaller volume is for bivy/tarp camping. I am likely to be above 30 liters when taking the tent. Not a tour but, on my last backpacking trip I was carrying a bear canister, 4 days of food, fly fishing gear, extra cooking gear to fry fish, and still easily fit it all in a 45 liter pack.
But I am not backpacking, where not only weight matters, but that it can fit into a small bag. I think I can afford a little more freedom and comfort than if I had to backpack. Oh, and I don't do tarp camping. I can't be bothered having to set up the tarp, if I'm honest.

Also, on the relatively rare occasions when I do take a tent I generally prefer to carry it outside of the bags. That way if it has to be put away wet the moisture doesn't get into other stuff. If it is rolled with the floor on the outside it doesn't seem to get any wetter even in an all day rain. So you may want to consider sizing the bags with that in mind.
True, and that is why I mentioned the rain cover that stretches from the front stem to the handlebar stem: Using that, I can pack a wet tent on top of the bag, yet out of the rain. And if the bag itself is big enough to also carry the tent and so on, I can do that so it won't be nicked or make it all easier to carry when that is needed or wanted.

The good thing about using a square bag is that I can actually use the space more efficiently, and if I choose to carry a lot of water, a solar panel or whatever at a given point, I can carry all of it inside the bag when that is needed. That is my thinking anyway: That I want as little as possible to strap to the outside, unless I want to in order for something to dry, or to have fruit and veg strapped there allowing them to "breathe". Well, that's the idea, anyway.

Originally Posted by robow
If I'm going light (for me), I use two rear panniers totaling 40 L.
If I'm going to be gone longer or not sure what to expect of weather conditions or need to pack more food because not likely available, or want more room to bring back goodies, or aid the Mrs., (list goes on) I add two panniers in the front and I now have 65 liters.
Credit card touring varies but I often get by with my smallest one 15 L bag or even just a rear rack trunk bag.

Originally Posted by mobile_simon
Rear Panniers: 40l
Front Panniers: 30l
Drybags x 2: 40l

and that is what i use for the long haul.
Thanks you two, too.

I might not be too far off if I go for the Sherpa Jr. as a middle ground of 99L. I can use that for shopping too (their bags are generally overbuilt, and superstrong), and since it's not a pannier, I can simply choose not to fill it completely, saving space for the distances where I simply want to carry more (food, water or some other things).

I have a couple of their "Aviator" bags in extra small (20L) I have had custom made with a few inner pockets and a shoulder strap, and for short trips I will obviously not need the big bag, but will do fine with one or two of the "Aviators".

Last edited by SmallFront; 12-06-13 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Typo: 90=>99
Old 12-06-13, 10:43 AM
SmallFront

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come to think of it, with a relatively bigger bag, I won't have to compress the sleeping bag or my clothes too much - Better for the bag and the clothing, and easier to pack.
Old 12-06-13, 03:16 PM
robow

For a short while I had a set (pair) of Axiom Champlains that were like 65L and they were too large for me. If I did fill them as needed then I didn't need a front set of panniers which sounds great, but it threw off the balance of my bike terribly. Jump out of the saddle when climbing and my front wheel could come completely off the ground. Hit the brakes too hard on a downhill and the rear end would get squirrelly. Adequate carrying capacity is important but make sure you have balance.

Last edited by robow; 12-06-13 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-06-13, 03:35 PM
SmallFront

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will have balance. The bike's loading platform, or "luggage shelf" looks like this (it is 46cm wide and 71cm long at the bottom):

I won't be using panniers, so regardless of how much I load it, use several smaller bags or one large bags, the balance will be the same. Although I do see your point.

Last edited by SmallFront; 12-06-13 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Added measurements of the platform
Old 12-06-13, 03:41 PM
robow

It's a good thing that rig has a carbon fiber handle bar or it could really weigh you down : ) That is a beast !
Old 12-06-13, 03:46 PM
SmallFront

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
It's a good thing that rig has a carbon fiber handle bar or it could really weigh you down : ) That is a beast !
LOL, I hadn't noticed the carbon. That particular one isn't mine. I don't have carbon on mine, nor that advertisement sign in the frame. And mine is a glorious white with a black Brooks saddle (Swift). I'm thinking of making it look a bit "zebra" (hiding the lacquered brand names etc with black paint or vinyl).

But I do enjoy it (mine) thoroughly.
Old 12-06-13, 03:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Touring on a Bullit Cargo bike ? what ever you think you need , there's plenty of space .

https://www.ortlieb.com/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=bigzip 140L !

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-06-13 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-06-13, 04:28 PM
SmallFront

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Touring on a Bullit Cargo bike ? what ever you think you need , there's plenty of space .

https://www.ortlieb.com/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=bigzip 140L !
Hehe, that particular bag is one of the few that does not fit on the platform! It is too long at 92cm (the platform at the bottom is 71cm). However I can carry something shorter, but taller and get the same volume if need be
Old 12-06-13, 04:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

a couple 3 rack packs sideways. then or take up Sewing and DYI.
Old 12-06-13, 04:47 PM
SmallFront

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, I will be sewing. I have a really powerful sewing machine (no joke), and I will be sewing a lighter weight top cover and a bag to fit in the "M-frame" below the handlebar, so I can have easy access to most things people have in their handlebar bag.

I just feel that the bag itself, and my wish to be able to carry it on my back and my shoulder, as well as pull it from the ends in a luggage heap, would be quite a lot of work, and since I'm not a master seamstress (seamstrer?), I think I will be more satisfied buying something from a firm I have had good experiences with (their products are overbuilt and super tough). Besides, I will probably spend more time doing it than I could earn in that time span.

I will also sew some zip in sides for the top cover, so the entire cargo platform can be closed in when that is needed.

But when that time comes, I will post a few pics of the project and end-result.
Old 12-07-13, 06:47 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Back to the question of volumes, for a trip where I am camping and will see weather that will range from warm to freezing and wet to dry, but no plans or equipment for snow:

40 liters - Ortlieb Backrollers
25 liters - Ortlieb Frontrollers
31 liters - Small duffle that sits on top of the back panniers. Ortlieb, Medium but I do not remember model name of this duffle.
7 to 9 liters - Handlebar bag.

If I have recently bought food, the duffle may be nearly full but it often has only about 10 liters of stuff in it. I pack the panniers full, only the duffle varies significantly in volume over time.

If the weather will not be down to freezing, I obviously will need less sleeping bag temperature capacity, less clothing, etc. But, I generally do not go touring if the temperatures are warmer that this range.

I have only done one tour in mid summer where there was no chance of freezing and on that trip the duffle stayed home - only used four panniers and handlebar bag.

I however tour with someone that uses two really big rear panniers, no handlebar bag, no rack pack. But, he packs really light with minimal spares, minimal clothing options, etc. I am not sure but I am guessing his two panniers add up to only 55 liters. But on our last trip he needed a spare bolt from me, his first aid gear was inadequate, once his only pair of shoes got soaked he had no other option, etc. A couple weeks ago he bought another pair of panniers to put on the front.
Attached Images
20IMGP3534.jpg (55.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 12-07-13, 07:34 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
54 litres work for me-

Axiom Cartiers on the rear- 33 L
Axiom Mackenzies on the front- 20 L
small HB zipper bag- 1 L
ACA HB map window

https://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Cartier-.../dp/B004DAVC4Q
https://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Mackenzi.../dp/B004DAWWLS

All items packed up front are okay to get wet, so water resistance is not an issue there. Tent (without stuff sack) goes into one front bag along with rain/wind gear, helmet cover and rear rain covers. Kitchen items and food go into the other front bag.

Down sleeping bag, vest, and one sandal are in left rear bag with some extra space. Clothes, toiletries, pack towel, one sandal and extra space are in the other. Stove and spare fuel cannisters in left rear pocket. Tools and tubes in right rear pocket. Ditties in side pockets (head lamp, clothesline, ipod, lighter, etc.) Therma Rest pad is the only item on top of rear rack with tent poles rolled up inside.
Old 12-07-13, 08:02 AM
SmallFront

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hehe, why a single sandal in each bag?
Old 12-07-13, 08:39 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
I'm just an orderly type born under the sign of Libra, SmallFront. Every thing has to be balanced. I'm kind of like Adrian Monk, that detective on the funny TV cop show. And yes, the left sandal has to go into the left pannier!
Old 12-07-13, 09:43 AM
SmallFront

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL, excellent!
Old 12-07-13, 11:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

a Portage bag is used by canoeists, to carry their canoe overhead, a shoulder thwart is at the balance point,
and their gear on their back.

And its a drybag for obvious reasons.. I have one in my bike trailer,

I can wear the trailer on my back, when useful..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.