Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Jaywalkers

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-09, 12:23 AM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
I've seem the Air Zounds, if it wasn't for the fact that I don't have anywhere to affix it I've considered getting one. I'd be better off with a regular air horn tucked into one of my jersey pockets.
They can mount just about anywhere, not just a water bottle cage. They're light enough the bottle can mount with a single zip tie, the horn/button can mount on any roundish tube roughly the size of a handlebar. You can stick the whole thing on a fork leg if you want.

I actually added one to my commuter after fending off a pedestrian attack -- he lunged towards me in a tunnel, I saw him coming and steered into him. He had his arms straight out to shove me off the bike, a mistake on his part since my momentum knocked him back and let me get away. (This in a tunnel that had recently seen muggings and attempted muggings of cyclists, the I-90 bicycle tunnel in Seattle.) I was quite sore where his palms hit my shoulder and chest, I'm glad I didn't have to feel his wrists the next morning.

I decided I'd rather have some defense available other than my own momentum if it happened again, and I knew the AirZound was loud enough to be disorienting in small spaces. I haven't needed it for another mugging attempt, but it has attracted the attention of various distracted motorists and more than one jaywalker.

But, in general, I steer or brake to avoid jaywalkers. They may be breaking the law themselves, but that doesn't override the basic duty to avoid accidents on my part. If I hit a jaywalker who didn't jump out right in front of me, that's my fault too. Doesn't mean I like it, just part of sharing the road.
Old 12-30-09, 02:54 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jputnam
They can mount just about anywhere, not just a water bottle cage. They're light enough the bottle can mount with a single zip tie, the horn/button can mount on any roundish tube roughly the size of a handlebar. You can stick the whole thing on a fork leg if you want.

I actually added one to my commuter after fending off a pedestrian attack -- he lunged towards me in a tunnel, I saw him coming and steered into him. He had his arms straight out to shove me off the bike, a mistake on his part since my momentum knocked him back and let me get away. (This in a tunnel that had recently seen muggings and attempted muggings of cyclists, the I-90 bicycle tunnel in Seattle.) I was quite sore where his palms hit my shoulder and chest, I'm glad I didn't have to feel his wrists the next morning.

I decided I'd rather have some defense available other than my own momentum if it happened again, and I knew the AirZound was loud enough to be disorienting in small spaces. I haven't needed it for another mugging attempt, but it has attracted the attention of various distracted motorists and more than one jaywalker.

But, in general, I steer or brake to avoid jaywalkers. They may be breaking the law themselves, but that doesn't override the basic duty to avoid accidents on my part. If I hit a jaywalker who didn't jump out right in front of me, that's my fault too. Doesn't mean I like it, just part of sharing the road.
My front fork being a suspension fork is a larger diameter then my handlebars and sadly the because of both the size and geometry of my frame there other then the side of the top tube there isn't anywhere to attache the bottle. And even finding a spot to affix the bottle that still leaves me with nowhere to mount the horn itself. Hence carrying a regular/standard air horn in one of my jersey pockets is about the only way to go. :-(
Old 12-30-09, 03:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
jaywalkers are pretty annoying if for no other reason than I swear about half of the ones that walk out in front of me when I'm riding my bike look straight at me first. But pedestrians are a really good reason not to cower in the gutters, they tend to see an opening and fill it rather quickly.

I almost hit one a couple of years ago while driving my car. 20 or so people were jaywalking, and another 20 were on the sidewalk getting ready to jaywalk when they saw me and stopped. Since the road was clear, I proceeded, but one of the people that had already cleared my lane was spooked by me approaching, and tried to run back to the sidewalk. I think both of us saw our lives flash before us.
Old 12-30-09, 05:29 AM
plutonium83
Bike Commuter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the best advice in my opinion. When it comes down to reflex, I would probably swerve to avoid a jaywalker quicker than I could reach for a bell or horn. I'm sorry this happened to you Luddite, jaywalkers will probably be on your mind for a while now, especially across the previous stretch of road. I suspect that most jaywalkers do it by hearing for cars on both sides of the road without actually looking for a (relatively) quieter bike. At least be thankful nobody was hurt due to your quick reflexes on the brakes.
Old 12-30-09, 06:13 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plutonium83
This is the best advice in my opinion. When it comes down to reflex, I would probably swerve to avoid a jaywalker quicker than I could reach for a bell or horn. I'm sorry this happened to you Luddite, jaywalkers will probably be on your mind for a while now, especially across the previous stretch of road. I suspect that most jaywalkers do it by hearing for cars on both sides of the road without actually looking for a (relatively) quieter bike. At least be thankful nobody was hurt due to your quick reflexes on the brakes.
Agreed. You can get hurt too. Getting into an accident is not fun regardless of who's at fault. But that doesn't change the fact that we can complain about jaywalkers

A.
Old 12-30-09, 08:17 AM
Skivvy9r

Bikes: Trek Allant

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Luddite
A crackhead/drunk/semi-hobo guy dashed out in front of me (without warning) not in an intersection, completely and utterly jaywalking. .... Anyway, why do jaywalkers dash in front of us cyclists when they would never do that in front of a car in the same manner?
This question would be better asked on a Jaywalkers forum. Most of the folks here are cyclists.
Old 12-30-09, 08:21 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine
What a surprise. Another thread where Luddite complains about something. I'm shocked.

Maybe just realize that not everyone is paying attention to you and write it off as living in the vicinity of other people. You didn't hit him, you didn't go down, you both got to continue with your lives, he to using crack and you to *****ing about every little thing...
Another vote for a "Charity" sticky for whiners and complainers about every little thing to do their thing, unmolested by common sense.
See: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post10200994
Old 12-30-09, 08:25 AM
High Roller

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The essence of defensive cycling, stated very succinctly. Assume full ownership for your own safety, regardless of the bonehead moves made by others.

It usually takes two people making a mistake to result in a collision - don't be one of them (loosely translated from Robert Hurst's writings).

Jaywalkers aside, I'm happy to learn that there are a few people in other parts of the world who still practice the dying art of walking. Around here, it's just a necessary evil to get to where one's car is parked.

Last edited by High Roller; 12-30-09 at 08:46 AM.

Old 12-30-09, 08:45 AM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mikewille
Any rugby players on bikeforums? Maybe they'd have some good input to the
idea of crashing with a pedestrian while staying on the bike. Do bike cops
get trained in that kind of thing? Bike rugby could be fun... I'm not advocating
mowing down peds here, just learning how to deal with a collision
When I was about 12 or 13, we used to play a game in our neighborhood that we called "bike tag". The point of the game was to get whoever was "it" to have to touch the ground the ground. With any body part. Yes, that usually meant the feet, but it didn't have to be. Whoever forced "it" to touch the ground was then "it". He'd speed off and we'd be chasing him, trying to get him to stop or even ramming him so he'd have to touch the ground.

Other than that, no rules. At all.

I also played football in college - American football.

With those varied experiences in my past, I'd highly recommend NOT deliberately crashing into a pedestrian. An adult travelling any decent speed on a bike is going to be subjecting himself to the potential for some very, very serious injury by doing that. Never mind what you and your bike would potentially do to a pedestrian.

Look at it this way: the combined closing speed between two NFL players probably almost never exceeds 15 MPH. And they're wearing all kinds of padding, in great shape, and built like solid-muscle tanks. And they know how to take a hit like that. And sometimes they STILL get serious injuries.

Besides, if you do crash your bike could get damaged.
Old 12-30-09, 09:07 AM
High Roller

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by achoo
When I was about 12 or 13, we used to play a game in our neighborhood that we called "bike tag". The point of the game was to get whoever was "it" to have to touch the ground the ground. With any body part. Yes, that usually meant the feet, but it didn't have to be. Whoever forced "it" to touch the ground was then "it". He'd speed off and we'd be chasing him, trying to get him to stop or even ramming him so he'd have to touch the ground.

Other than that, no rules. At all.
Sounds like good training for urban bicycle commuting.

Old 12-30-09, 09:17 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What a surprise. Another thread where Luddite complains about something. I'm shocked.

Maybe just realize that not everyone is paying attention to you and write it off as living in the vicinity of other people. You didn't hit him, you didn't go down, you both got to continue with your lives, he to using crack and you to *****ing about every little thing...
Ugh
Old 12-30-09, 02:42 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Another vote for a "Charity" sticky for whiners and complainers about every little thing to do their thing, unmolested by common sense.
See: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post10200994
Amazing that you two spend so much effort just whining about what everyone else post.
Old 12-30-09, 03:00 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So basically, stop getting my bikes tuned/greased so they make tons of noise and jaywalkers can hear me coming? Ok, I wouldn't actually do that...

CB: aint worth it dude, trust me.
Old 12-30-09, 03:28 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know how you feel Luddite.

I've had a couple run-ins with jaywalkers. One particular guy made eye contact with me before crossing the street, and just walked in front of me anyways. As I dodged him, he yelled, "Gotcha good f*g bicyclist!"

Most just don't seem to be paying attention and just jump out.
Old 12-30-09, 03:39 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy crap, Mike...
Old 12-30-09, 03:42 PM
mikeybikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Luddite
Holy crap, Mike...
Its a rare exception, and the only story I've ever heard like it. I was also kinda in a rough neighborhood.
Old 12-30-09, 03:44 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
jaywalkers are pretty annoying if for no other reason than I swear about half of the ones that walk out in front of me when I'm riding my bike look straight at me first. But pedestrians are a really good reason not to cower in the gutters, they tend to see an opening and fill it rather quickly.

I almost hit one a couple of years ago while driving my car. 20 or so people were jaywalking, and another 20 were on the sidewalk getting ready to jaywalk when they saw me and stopped. Since the road was clear, I proceeded, but one of the people that had already cleared my lane was spooked by me approaching, and tried to run back to the sidewalk. I think both of us saw our lives flash before us.
Ah the squirrel syndrome. Why is it that those pesky little rodents do that? As it just about guarantees that they'll get hit?
Old 12-30-09, 03:51 PM
mikeybikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Ah the squirrel syndrome. Why is it that those pesky little rodents do that? As it just about guarantees that they'll get hit?
In the 'burb I grew up in, squirrels are fair game.
Old 12-30-09, 03:59 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeshoup
In the 'burb I grew up in, squirrels are fair game.
To quote Seinfield "it's only birds that we have a 'deal' with, squirrels are on their own." Or something like that. It was the episode where George hit a squirrel after having hit some birds and Krammer found the old talk show set decorations.
Old 12-30-09, 06:45 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeshoup
Its a rare exception, and the only story I've ever heard like it. I was also kinda in a rough neighborhood.
Crikey. Good reason to pedal harder eh?
Old 12-30-09, 07:07 PM
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique

Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
Ugh
A&S isn't the most whine-free place but I didn't realize how bad it could get until Whiny McWhinerson popped in...
Old 12-30-09, 07:12 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A&S isn't the most whine-free place but I didn't realize how bad it could get until Whiny McWhinerson popped in...
Wait, you, who incessantly snivels about everything in foo, posting idiotic threads about snivelly crap non stop are saying my thread, where I outline a near-crash and warn my fellow Vancouverites about a bad area for jaywalkers and to get other people's input on this problem is whining?

Le fail troll strikes out again. You're about the most snivelly whiney fail troll I've come across in my 10+ years on the Internets. How about ya go on a diet, get a job, get a life and mind your own damned business eh? I feel sorry for your girlfriend. Do you drug her food to make her stay with your greasy fat worthless ass?
Old 12-30-09, 07:22 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I am going to lock this thread and let an A&S mod handle this. Thanks. Mark.