Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Need Help with Trek Boone Build

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-17, 04:48 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts

I'm in the process building-up a used Trek Boone disc frameset and could use some help. Bike shops near me don't stock the Boone, so I'm dependent on the on my all-knowing-Interweb-friends (like you) for help.

My question is in regards to the routing of the cable for the rear derailleur (non-Di2).

Is there supposed to be some kind of cable stop or rubber grommet that fits in the hole in the chain-stay cable hole? (See attached pictured)

The hole is much larger than the derailleur cable housing (4mm Shimano cable) and it seems odd to me that there wouldn't be some kind of fitting for the hole so that the cable (and water, mud, etc.) wouldn't just fall into the frame. There are fittings on the downtube for where the derailleur cables enter the frame. I'm wondering if the person I bought the bike from forgot this part when he sold it to me(?)

Can any of you with a Trek Boone enlighten me (or take a picture like the one I posted) as to where the rear derailleur cable housing should end?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BooneChainstayHole.jpg (94.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 03-05-17, 05:31 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
In answering my own question, I found a Boone that was posted on eBay today that has a picture of the detail I'm looking for. As I suspected, there is some kind of plastic grommet that goes in the chain stay hole... that I don't have Ahh... the joys of buying used...

Now the question becomes, "Where do I get that little part?!?!?!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BooneChainstayHoleGrommit.jpg (94.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 03-06-17, 05:13 PM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't see your original post but it seems you have answered your first question already. I would think that any Trek dealer could get that part or you may even contact Trek directly. There is a Trek shop near where I am for work this week I can stop by and ask. On another note, someone took such a detailed pic with a flat tire, strange?!