Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which Ti Bike Did You Buy and Why? Happy or Not?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which Ti Bike Did You Buy and Why? Happy or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-22, 02:49 PM
WouterO

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Potenza, Van Nicholas Rowtag Ekar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A few months ago I bought this titanium Van Nicholas Rowtag (I am in NL). I had it built by a LBS out of components I specifically wanted - Campagnolo Ekar 38x9-42T, Fulcrum Rapid Red 3 wheels, Brooks Cambium saddle etc. I bought the Ti bike primarily for bikepacking and offroad days. After my carbon bike spectacularly broke into 3 pieces earlier in 2021 during an easy summer ride, I decided that the new bikepacking bike would not be carbon. This Ti bike will withstand everything I encounter while cycling offroad and bikepacking while it's still about 10 kg.

After about 1000 kilometers on the Ti bicycle I still couldn´t be happier. It's a buttersmooth ride, but that's probably more because of the nice 40mm tyres than because of the frame material. Ekar has all the range I need, it's simple and the clockwork-like shifting brings a smile on my face everytime I push that button or move that lever. This bike is not a fast racing machine, but I have another bike for that.

And yes, I did already replace the bottlecage with a pair of nice brushed metal ones.
Likes For WouterO:
Old 01-09-22, 03:37 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
This was a fun read. I’ve never been in the market for a Ti bike due to cost, but I fell in love with No.22 bikes a while ago and figured that’s what I’d get if I hit the lotto or something. Love their finishes. Surprised more folks here don’t have one from them - would love to hear thoughts from actual owners.
I don't own a No.22 nor have I tried one. That was the brand I was going to purchase but I ruled them out based on some mixed reviews. I have seen excellent reviews of theirs and some not so great. If I remember correctly, it was about the bike seeming too flexible for a high-end road bike. This was at least five or six months ago that I read those couple of reviews.

My criteria for the Ti bike was: American made, good reviews, the ability to have no paint or decals on the bike and I could purchase the bike through my local bike shop. I considered going direct with Mosaic, but I feel an obligation to my LBS who have always been very good to me. If I am going to ask them to maintain the bike, I felt obligated to allow them to make a little money off the purchase of the bike too. That's just me-- no judgement to others who may buy direct.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 02-16-22, 03:08 PM
whatshubdoc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by big john
I bought a used Seven in 2012. It's quite stiff, similar to a CAAD 5 I used to have. It's a great bike except for the bone jarring ride on bad roads. It's partially painted and it hasn't flaked but it will chip if I bang it into something. It's hard to get paint to stick to titanium, I hear.
wow this is beautiful.

What model is it, and what is the closest "production" model you can compare it to?
Likes For whatshubdoc:
Old 02-16-22, 04:10 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Litespeed Ultimate disk with custom wheels I built myself. Acquired 1 week ago. Happy so far, but there hasn't been enough time to develop an informed opinion.

Likes For mihlbach:
Old 02-16-22, 04:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
Update from above post -

After those pics, I built it up with a mixed groupset of Campy triple with Sachs New Success Ergos and RD, and it was nice, but I decided I didn't want the triple, so I bought a few bits I needed to complete a Dura Ace 7410 groupset (last of the 8 speed DA, same year as the frame, 1995), and built it up that way. That build was completed on the 22nd of January and I've already got 270 miles on it.

I bought it, and built it this way because I have wanted a Litespeed Ultimate built up like this since that frame was built 27 years ago. And now I finally have it. It does not disappoint.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-16-22, 07:17 PM
big john

Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,046 Times in 4,477 Posts
Originally Posted by whatshubdoc
wow this is beautiful.

What model is it, and what is the closest "production" model you can compare it to?
It's an Axiom Race model, custom made for someone else (I bought it used) It has Campagnolo Chorus parts and those are Cole wheels. I don't know how you could compare it to other bikes except to say it rides a lot like a CAAD5 Cannondale I used to have but it fits better. I've had it ten years this spring and I've put over 50K miles on it.
Old 03-01-22, 04:41 PM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It's an Axiom Race model, custom made for someone else (I bought it used) It has Campagnolo Chorus parts and those are Cole wheels. I don't know how you could compare it to other bikes except to say it rides a lot like a CAAD5 Cannondale I used to have but it fits better. I've had it ten years this spring and I've put over 50K miles on it.
When I was going through the process of ordering my Seven through the Ride Studio in Lexington I demoed a bike that was set up for my fit parameters, but the frame was built for someone else. It was also very stiff--too stiff for my liking. Turns out it was designed for someone 60 lbs heavier than I. My own frame (pictured higher up this thread) built to my specified stiffness, wight, and riding style rides way better for me and is very comfortable. That highlights the risk of buying a used custom frame and the fact that not every Ti frame has the same ride characteristics.

David
Likes For David in Maine:
Old 03-01-22, 05:05 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Ok, it may look like a "Road Bike", but it is actually an older Litespeed MTB.

The frame was $100... and I think the entire build came to less than $400.

A few nice things about it. But, also a few aspects that are sub optimal. For example it has a little wider Q-Factor than I would have liked. And, some of the scrounging for parts left me with a "unique" build.
Old 03-01-22, 05:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Ok, it may look like a "Road Bike", but it is actually an older Litespeed MTB.

The frame was $100... and I think the entire build came to less than $400.

A few nice things about it. But, also a few aspects that are sub optimal. For example it has a little wider Q-Factor than I would have liked. And, some of the scrounging for parts left me with a "unique" build.
My first thought on seeing the pic, even before reading your post, was that the angles are WAY slack.

Old 03-03-22, 11:26 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
fwiw I don't own any Ti bikes (yet, he says wishfully) but my wife had this wonderful Ti all-road/gravel bike built by Carl Strong ~4 years ago:

(sorry for the unrevealing pic, it's the only one I have handy)
She loves the bike, and doing business with Carl is an absolute joy...so much so that the missus is currently in the process of ordering/designing another Ti bike with Carl. (The new one will be a road bike with disc brakes and S&S couplers.)
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 03-03-22, 10:03 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
fwiw I don't own any Ti bikes (yet, he says wishfully) but my wife had this wonderful Ti all-road/gravel bike built by Carl Strong ~4 years ago:

She loves the bike, and doing business with Carl is an absolute joy...so much so that the missus is currently in the process of ordering/designing another Ti bike with Carl. (The new one will be a road bike with disc brakes and S&S couplers.)
And this is why I prefer dogs.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 03-03-22, 10:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.

I would love to own another Titanium, am shy about the risk for a flexy frame, but love the look of a polished frame. Would never get a painted frame, I’m told only Serotta did a decent job with paint on Ti., Trek obviously had no clue.
I have a painted TiCycles. Paint is doing just fine except where I've abused it and even there no flaking. Bike is stiff. No, not the stiffest bike out there, but compared to any thin tubed steel bike you'd ever want to ride, very stiff. I think ti is less tolerant of shoddy paint jobs but it isn't an issue for someone who knows what he's doing.

Oops. Answered a year old post. Well, answer still stands.
Old 03-10-22, 10:52 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts

1996 Litespeed Classic, brought forward 25 years.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 03-11-22, 02:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by bamboobike4

1996 Litespeed Classic, brought forward 25 years.
I gather the fork is new, hence the threadless headset on a '96? While I was still waiting for my '95 Ultimate to show up from the Ebay seller, I was looking into that, just in case the fork was toast. Luckily, it wasn't! If I fell into a pile of cash and wanted to rebuild it with all modern bits, I might try that, though.

Old 03-11-22, 02:45 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
I bought an Airborne because I found one in my size. I was not particularly happy with it because despite what they tell you, the bike is nearly the same weight as a steel bike. And most of them have oversized tubing. Now they are making them with smaller tubing and I think that they would ride a great deal better. But remember that even the best titanium alloys are a little brittle and if you run head-on into something you may break a tube.

I think that a custom "race" model of Waterford steel is probably a better buy. Note: All of my steel bikes were lugged and brazed and not welded so take that opinion with a grain of salt.
Old 03-11-22, 03:03 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3145 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross

Interesting. I remember Strong from way back, but didn’t realize they were still around. Cool!
Old 03-11-22, 04:38 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I gather the fork is new, hence the threadless headset on a '96? While I was still waiting for my '95 Ultimate to show up from the Ebay seller, I was looking into that, just in case the fork was toast. Luckily, it wasn't! If I fell into a pile of cash and wanted to rebuild it with all modern bits, I might try that, though.
It was such a dull ride with Campy 9 (triple), fairly heavy wheels, and the stock Kestrel EMS fork. It was no better than most of my steel bikes, and worse than a couple.

I tried it with SRAM Red (20) and modern wheels, Bontrager RXL/TLR, and at the top of a Cat 3 climb, I was feeling better about it, then the shift to the big ring revealed the horrible Red FD. Disgusted, I set it aside. In the meantime, I felt the ride was still a little dull. I actually called Lynskey, and the guy there said to try a better fork. I found this one NOS, added the threadless headset.

When a carbon frame failed in its 5th year, it was the last chance for this frame. Modernizing the steering led to a modernized cockpit, and the parts from the carbon frame came over, for the most part. The weight, fork, and crankset makes up about half the boost, and I credit the wheels for the rest.

Since the pic, I’ve swapped in DA9000 calipers, ran the stem to the top of the steerer, and added lights and a bag. I’m still under 16.5, ready to ride, so this round looks good.

I had it at two swap meets in the last 2 months, no takers for F/F/HS at $500, so it runs the roads this year.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 03-12-22, 04:26 PM
Nicke71

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 11 Posts
I purchased a Seven Axiom SL. I wanted to get something special for myself for my 50th Birthday and settled on a custom Ti framed bike. I placed the order last August and picked up the bike last week. It’s the third Ti framed bike I’ve ever owned and I am very happy with it so far.
Old 03-13-22, 09:05 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Interesting. I remember Strong from way back, but didn’t realize they were still around. Cool!
Yeah, he's been at it since the mid-1990s at least, and is still busy enough to have an 18-month wait list. Stopped building in steel a year or two ago, so he's exclusively titanium these days...although if you're interested in bespoke custom carbon frames, Carl is also the man behind the Pursuit Cycles brand.

I know, I sound like a shill! But his bikes are badass, and he's an incredible professional, really comforting to do business with.
Old 03-16-22, 04:07 PM
tony2v

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
I have two Moots road bikes, a 2006 Compact and a 2018 custom Vamoots RSL. I got the RSL for my 60th birthday.

2006 Moots Compact

2018 Custom Vamoots RSL
Likes For tony2v:
Old 03-16-22, 08:20 PM
dpd3672

Bikes: 02 Cervelo P2K, 07 Cervelo P2SL, 07 Cervelo Soloist, 09 Cervelo RS, 96 Quintana Roo Kilo, 80 Chicago Schwinn Letour, 12 Motobecane Nemesis, 97 Kona AA, 97 Cannondale f700

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts

Colnago Monotitan

Lemond Victoire Carbon/Titanium "Spine" bike.

I've got a couple, although one is only HALF titanium (and half carbon). Mostly chose them because I love Colnagos and Lemonds, so wanted a representative example of them in my collection. It also was a bit of luck, as I found deals for good condition bikes at decent prices in my size.

I always wanted to try titanium, but was patient enough for the right deal to come along.

FWIW, I don't notice a profound difference in the steel versions of the same bike, although they do ride wonderfully...they're a bit lighter in weight, but at my level of competence, 1 kilo either way doesn't substantially change the experience.
Old 03-17-22, 06:14 PM
Nicke71

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 11 Posts
Here it is

Likes For Nicke71:
Old 06-02-22, 10:40 AM
pavinzky

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

Very nice build! I'm considering this R300 Ti frame very soon for Endurance rides. How does it handle? Is it flexy when powering out saddle efforts? Thanks for your input.
Old 06-03-22, 06:26 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by pavinzky
Hi,

Very nice build! I'm considering this R300 Ti frame very soon for Endurance rides. How does it handle? Is it flexy when powering out saddle efforts? Thanks for your input.
If you are referring to the Lynskey R300 I have one. I'm around 153 pounds and the frame is not flexy when I get out of the saddle.
Old 06-05-22, 05:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by genejockey
Update from above post -

After those pics, I built it up with a mixed groupset of Campy triple with Sachs New Success Ergos and RD, and it was nice, but I decided I didn't want the triple, so I bought a few bits I needed to complete a Dura Ace 7410 groupset (last of the 8 speed DA, same year as the frame, 1995), and built it up that way. That build was completed on the 22nd of January and I've already got 270 miles on it.

I bought it, and built it this way because I have wanted a Litespeed Ultimate built up like this since that frame was built 27 years ago. And now I finally have it. It does not disappoint.

Update to update: I lived more or less happily with the 7410 groupset on the Ultimate for 5 months. It was my favorite bike, I think I took it for at least 6 long Sunday rides in a row. But ultimately (haha) the 39x25 low gear just wasn't low enough for any real climbing.

SO, I stripped that off and replaced it with R8000 Ultegra. Now I have 39x32 low. That's MUCH better!!! And yes, I AM happy with it!

Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.