Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM Rival/Force--accidental upshift MYTH!!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

SRAM Rival/Force--accidental upshift MYTH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 10:26 PM
theshoemaker
Jacko nose historian

Bikes: 2006 52cm Trek 2200, Specialized Rockhopper (gets infrequent use unfortunately)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
... it seems that an inadvertent upshift is still very possible -- just not entirely certain.
Yeah. You're gonna have slip ups. Why bother?
Old 07-26-07, 10:30 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ExMachina
Maybe slamming into an upshift and getting instead a downshift is some sort of a recentering, Yin-Yang, balancing of the humours? After all, I think the shifters are manufactured in the Far East.
I have my shifters angled for maximum fung-shui.
Old 07-26-07, 10:33 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What?? Who!?? I want these hords of disgruntled people with first-hand SRAM disillusionment to speak up!! They've certainly not done so yet on these forums--I've looked. All I ever seem to find are second-hand accounts of how so-and-so tried SRAM and couldn't stand it or my buddy Fred used the new SRAM group and then his dog died.

Sheesh!

[EDIT: Slovid's first-hand opinion is graciously noted!]
So much for the civil discussion we were having.

I was merely stating that I've heard this complaint more than a few times from people who've ridden SRAM. Obviously you've heard of it too or you wouldn't have started this thread.

I'm not about to go out and buy a SRAM groupset and install it on one of my bikes just to have a conversation with you about this...sorry. If I ever ride a bike equipped with it I'll be sure and post an honest evaluation of it though.

Last edited by SDRider; 07-26-07 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-26-07, 10:36 PM
donrhummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jschen
By the way, another way I'd be much more willing to put SRAM on my bike would be if they made a cyclocomputer like the Shimano Flight Deck so that I would know at all times exactly what gear I was in. Then I would never seek a downshift that wasn't there.
+1 This makes so much sense I have no idea why they don't have a flight deck on there? Heck, you could even make it mechanical so it doesn't require batteries -- it would be just like the numbers on those handheld counters.

Old 07-27-07, 02:20 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Short and sweet: in their current design, the SRAM shifters do **NOT **doom you to suffering an unwanted up-shift, when you are trying (in vein) to downshift off of the largest cog.

The notion of an unstoppable upshift is a myth.
After reading this thread yesterday, I had to test this out last night (I installed Force on my bike about 2 weeks ago). Unfortunately, I experienced the unstoppable upshift. I tried it several times, pushing a little harder each time to see if I could find the "different type of second click" as you had referred to. It didn't happen for me. I was pushing the lever quite firmly too. I'm pretty sure it's set up properly - the mechanic who installed the group is very experienced with SRAM Force and Rival.

I seem to recall reading about this "quirk" in a product review by Lennard Zinn. I'm going to reread the article again to refresh my memory.

If this thread hadn't made me curious, it might have been a while until I discovered it on my own. When I'm in the lower gears, I tend to glance often at my cassette to see where I'm at.

My take on it is this: if this "quirk" does exist (it does for me), it's such a minor thing that I wouldn't worry about it. When I'm in my largest cog, I always make a mental note of it (I tend to tell myself "I can't go any lower than this") so a misshift is not likely. And every brand shifter has a downside - with Campy, some people have a hard time using the thumb lever when in the drops. For Shimano, the cabling isn't as clean as Campy or SRAM. I love the single paddle, I love the clean cabling and I'm very happy with SRAM Force, quirkiness notwithstanding.
Old 07-27-07, 02:40 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
And you know this how???

My point in all this was that there's a lot of noise to signal regarding the SRAM shifters, and most (all?) of the noise is coming from people who have spent either no, or very little time with them.

Having *personally* used BOTH systems, I can tell you that there is no more "danger" inherent in the SRAM system than any other indexed shifting system.
You clearly haven't read any of my posts in this thread. I told you how I know. That means you probably won't read this one, either, because you don't want to hear it.

I have *personally* used BOTH systems, JUST LIKE YOU! (If I put more asterisks around the word "personally" will that make it even more emphatic?)

With Shimano, there is ZERO chance of an accidental upshift when trying to downshift from the big cog. The Shimano shifter won't let you push it when it's out of travel. With SRAM, there IS a chance of an accidental upshift. How? (1) If the SRAM is like yours (which they don't all appear to be), a person could shift in the normal manner, pushing the lever to the normal downshift point, and get an upshift, or (2) if the SRAM is like so many others, the same thing happens regardless of how far you push the lever.