Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting to Know You, Intimately

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Getting to Know You, Intimately

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-22, 12:19 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
... also, page 4 of the 'intimacy' thread.
Old 12-29-22, 12:22 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Depends which definition of "Fred" you're using--there's at least two, and they are distinct and somewhat contradictory.

There's Fred the bodger, who rides the hell out of old bikes and homebrew kit/equipment, and then there's Fred the lifestyle guy, with all of the latest and bestest.
Ah, 'Fred'.
This got me thinking about the origins of 'Fred 2' (your latter definition). Might well have been BSNYC, back in the day.
Old 12-29-22, 01:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Ah, 'Fred'.
This got me thinking about the origins of 'Fred 2' (your latter definition). Might well have been BSNYC, back in the day.
The bike of Fred Birchmore, possibly the original original Fred:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...world-1462409/
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-29-22, 01:24 PM
badger1

IIRC, there are some good reasons for that attribution. Will always be some question about it, but as good as any. Certainly captures the 'spirit' of Fred. Another, much more recent example, is the late, great Patrick Plaine.

Last edited by badger1; 12-29-22 at 02:00 PM.
Likes For badger1:
Old 12-29-22, 01:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Depends which definition of "Fred" you're using--there's at least two, and they are distinct and somewhat contradictory.

There's Fred the bodger, who rides the hell out of old bikes and homebrew kit/equipment, and then there's Fred the lifestyle guy, with all of the latest and bestest.
I prefer the Flintstone variety. Yaba daba dooooooo!

It appears, by looking at the definition, that ‘intimate’ is most commonly characterized as, “characterized by a close or warm personal relationship”. Sex ranks way down the list. Can’t say that I have a warm or personal relationship, other than a utilitarian, with my bikes. But then I am not a romantic. And to quote Jerry Seinfeld, “ Not that I have a problem with that.”

Last edited by rsbob; 12-29-22 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-29-22, 01:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by rsbob
I prefer the Flintstone variety. Yaba daba dooooooo!

It appears, by looking at the definition, that ‘intimate’ is most commonly characterized as, “characterized by a close or warm personal relationship”. Sex ranks way down the list. Can’t say that I have a warm or personal relationship, other than a utilitarian, with my bikes. But then I am not a romantic. And to quote Jerry Seinfeld, “ Not that I have a problem with that.”
"Intimate" is an interesting word, and I think the trend is increasingly towards using it as a euphemism for "sexual". Even in its nonsexual sense, I do think it's a very weird word choice as I think "intimacy" really has to be a two-way thing and a utilitarian object can't reciprocate.

There's another sense of the word "intimate" as an adjective as in "He has intimate knowledge of the details", but one wouldn't describe that person as being intimate with the details or the knowledge. There's no sense of a personal relationship in that usage. I don't think there's a sentence where "intimacy" can be used that way.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-29-22, 02:33 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...world-1462409/
Fred Birchmore's bike was a one-speed, 42-pound Reinhardt that he named Bucephalus, after Alexander the Great's horse.
An accomplished Fred naming a bike after a horse. Perhaps if Birchmore was on BF he would be middle of the road in this discussion.

Old 12-29-22, 03:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Chuck M
An accomplished Fred naming a bike after a horse. Perhaps if Birchmore was on BF he would be middle of the road in this discussion.

No, I don't think he'd want to be thought of as getting intimate with a horse.

Commence the Catherine the Great jokes.
Old 12-29-22, 03:16 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Do i dare admit that i have only one bike? I know her quite well, but we have not been intimate.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 12-29-22, 03:29 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Do i dare admit that i have only one bike? I know her quite well, but we have not been intimate.
Certainly true that polygamy is an accepted practice here on teh Biek Formz.

I too have only one bike. Well, technically two, but I claim that since each is permanently resident in one of two locations, I can weasel out of a charge of polygyny.

And I can go further: I can lay my hand on my heart -- or indeed anyone else's heart -- and say that I have not had intimate relations with either bike.
Old 12-29-22, 04:57 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I can wholly agree. I think N+1 is a great formula for collecting but truthfully I believe I do have too many bikes and not all of them ones I really want to ride. I have built some stuff that is great but I just don't ride it and while two of them are ones I love staring at a couple I just don't really need anymore. I would rather just get rid of some of it and build an upgraded version that I want to ride more. I have gotten to know some of the bikes but these days I am not riding them as much so figuring out a better solution would be ideal.

If I had the money I would probably sell my Langster and build up my ultimate dream fixed gear road bike out of titanium and possibly also get rid of the Cinelli Mash Work and build up a gravel bike with plenty of tire clearance that I could run single speed if I wanted and maybe also make it rack compatible and then maybe get rid of a couple road bikes and just run them all as a 1x gravel bike. I could probably figure out different wheels and swapping chainrings and cassettes and maybe do some magic numbering to not have to swap the chain each time? I don't know but I would like to have a smaller collection so it is easier to manage and find what I want to ride and ride them all more often.
This makes a lot of sense to me, and reflects my experience and perceptions to a large degree. I think that if my situation were different, I would buy a Gunnar Sport and just outfit it in whichever way I needed, because that bike (frame-set) can do it all. Your post is the kind of feedback I needed, and while most reasonable people would either donate or sell a few bikes, I think I will do my best this summer to give them their due attention and miles. Actually, my M80 is a great road bike, touring bike, cargo bike, daily shopper, and, if I rode in the dirt, even a mountain bike, so I could make-do with that.
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 12-29-22, 05:00 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Originally Posted by sjanzeir
it's like we've just met for the first time.
Yes. It's that "foreign" feeling that I find disconcerting.
Old 12-29-22, 05:06 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Well I have to say, I own 7 bikes and most of my riding is on two of them. That is not to say I don't know the others pretty well, but they don't get a lot of attention and at least two haven't been ridden in over two years.

I guess you could say I am intimate with 2 of my bikes, friends with 3 of them and have drifted apart from the remaining 2.
Old 12-29-22, 06:47 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
This makes a lot of sense to me, and reflects my experience and perceptions to a large degree. I think that if my situation were different, I would buy a Gunnar Sport and just outfit it in whichever way I needed, because that bike (frame-set) can do it all. Your post is the kind of feedback I needed, and while most reasonable people would either donate or sell a few bikes, I think I will do my best this summer to give them their due attention and miles. Actually, my M80 is a great road bike, touring bike, cargo bike, daily shopper, and, if I rode in the dirt, even a mountain bike, so I could make-do with that.
I've had a Sport since 2006 but it is now my back-up bike. It has rack eyelets, long-ish wheelbase, low BB, and fairly slack geometry. I actually rode it Tuesday. It's more forgiving on the rough surfaces than my Seven.

Haven't ridden it up to the snow in years but I could possibly do that this weekend.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-30-22, 10:13 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
"Intimate" is an interesting word, and I think the trend is increasingly towards using it as a euphemism for "sexual". Even in its nonsexual sense, I do think it's a very weird word choice as I think "intimacy" really has to be a two-way thing and a utilitarian object can't reciprocate..
That's why I nominated this for "ickiest thread title of the year".

The only other logical conclusion involves a hypothetical scenario in which someone forgot to replace the saddle on the seat post before embarking for a ride.

But why the "getting to know you ..." part? Every time I read that, I have to reach for the eye-wash.
Old 12-30-22, 10:27 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
That's why I nominated this for "ickiest thread title of the year".

The only other logical conclusion involves a hypothetical scenario in which someone forgot to replace the saddle on the seat post before embarking for a ride.
Well you sure have taken "icky" to a whole new level here, haven't you?
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-30-22, 10:30 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Lombard
Well you sure have taken "icky" to a whole new level here, haven't you?
You are getting to know me. ;-)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-30-22, 10:35 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Just to be clear:

;-) == "winkie of absolution"

== "creepy winkie"
Old 12-30-22, 10:47 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I try to keep the numbers down, though I do a lot of different riding, so I still have 4 bikes: Fat, FS MTB, Gravel/Road, and utility/errand.

If I lived somewhere with a much shorter winter, I’d probably lose the Fat bike.

I’m the same way with music. I have one electric guitar, one steel string acoustic, one classical. One electric bass, one standup.

I know some musicians who will have multiple electrics or acoustics, but I’d rather just work with one.

Maybe if I was a pro, I’d have backup instruments or bikes.
Old 12-30-22, 03:06 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
You are getting to know me. ;-)
Sorry, but I really don't want to know you THAT well.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-30-22, 04:26 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I have tried to stay busy in the winter in these last seven years, and have built a bike during each one. I know some riders or collectors advocate that one should buy, or build, yet another bike, no matter the present number, but what I have learnt is that, in the attempt to keep them all in a "rotation" and active, I have distanced myself from them, in that I do not get to really "know" any of them. Has anyone else discovered this phenomenon? What did you do about it? I am considering choosing one bike per summer and really establishing a relationship with it.
Agreed but I have different bikes for different purposes. For example my fast road bike is twitchy and harsh and I honestly don't like riding clipless all that much but I can't keep up with the fast groups without it. Group rides only.
My original gravel hybrid is my winter beater for roads and 12 month light trail use but I ride it in the city or as commuter or running errands.
My single speed gravel bike is for rainy days so I don't have to maintain the drivetrain or clean it. I also use it for commuting and errand running 12 mo a year.
My fat bike is great in the snow but doubles as my mountain bike as well and I use it 12 mo a year. My original mountain bike I traded it for my nice fat bike. I like the big tires and no suspension better, no maintenance, more grip, better climbing. Plus I don't like technical trails or drops.
My Italy bike stays there. I ride it a month or so per year when I'm out there so I got a cheaper one on purpose.

All have been upgraded w/ better components as things worse out or in some cases I just wanted something better like GPS mounts, water bottles, flat/spare equipment, going tubless, some have carbon wheels or better groupset. Over time this is the joy of owning them as you slowly build them into what you prefer.
Likes For Attilio:
Old 12-30-22, 05:13 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Yes, I have tried to assign "slots" for each bike. The Technium is the lightest and largest, so handles the long-distance duties. The Moser is its backup. The Grubb is for 40 miles and shorter, as is the Manufrance. The Barnard I have just built, so I'm not sure what distances it will occupy, but I have a fixed gear wheelset for it, too. The M80 is my winter utility ride and my summer tourer. The Rudge is basically summer utility with some short jaunts thrown in. I think part of my problem is that where I live, I only have a 90-day window, June 15 to Sept 15 to ride. Maybe I can expand that a bit.
Old 01-02-23, 10:09 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
That's an interesting cell phone holder he used.