Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So much resistance to change

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So much resistance to change

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-23, 01:36 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
After going back through those 20 pages, I've got overload. Torture is all I can say. On the flip side, BF is getting some run and discussions. Maybe that's why these threads aren't closed earlier.
It's obvious that it's going to be a long winter. When spring comes around and people on here start getting out and riding their bikes things will get better.
Old 01-13-23, 02:04 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It soon became about disc brakes when a few people started slating them and even the entire industry. The first page was actually quite benign. A few people stated sensible reasons why they were staying with rim-braked bikes, without feeling a need to deride disc brakes and/or consumers for being taken in by the fashion.

Wolfchild stated that biking is now just a fashion industry and you actually agreed with him. Then a few posts later smd4 pops along to tell us that disc brakes are ugly, inelegant and have poor modulation. The responses are inevitable and then it becomes the usual rim vs disc brake trainwreck. 1989Pre came out with a few gems of ignorance - the lateral imbalance issue of disc brakes FFS.

If someone started a disc brake thread and then someone stated that rim brakes are outdated junk only for dinosaurs, you would rightly expect a similar backlash right? Except those threads don't appear to exist from what I've seen. Maybe I missed one?
SMH. "And then this kid came up and said my bike was ugly and we weren't even talking about him and then he said my hair looked like my mom cut it using a bowl and then he said my mom wears army boots. So I told him that his bike was ugly too that that his dad bought his suits off the rack. I had to say something, right?"
Old 01-13-23, 02:35 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
It soon became about disc brakes when a few people started slating them and even the entire industry. The first page was actually quite benign. A few people stated sensible reasons why they were staying with rim-braked bikes, without feeling a need to deride disc brakes and/or consumers for being taken in by the fashion.

Wolfchild stated that biking is now just a fashion industry and you actually agreed with him.
Not one time did I ever say that disc brakes are a fashion statement. My very first reply in the rim vs disc brakes thread was that I have two bikes with disc brakes and one with rim brakes.... and that the " The main advantage of disc brakes is that they prevent rims from wearing out when riding in wet and dirty conditions"... and what I said is absolutely true....As soon as I said that anther poster came along and blasted me for saying the truth and that's when the entire thread started going of the rails.
Old 01-13-23, 02:47 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Not one time did I ever say that disc brakes are a fashion statement.
This might be where one would get that idea...

......because cycling has become a fashion industry. If you don't follow the latest trends you will be looked down upon and not considered a serious cyclist.
The topic of the thread would lead the reader to conclude that disc brakes would be included in "latest trends".
Old 01-13-23, 03:02 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Not one time did I ever say that disc brakes are a fashion statement..
You might want to get that memory checked:

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Why would you replace a bike just because it has unfashionable brakes?
......because cycling has become a fashion industry. If you don't follow the latest trends you will be looked down upon and not considered a serious cyclist.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 01-13-23 at 03:14 PM.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-13-23, 03:10 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Eric F
This might be where one would get that idea...

The topic of the thread would lead the reader to conclude that disc brakes would be included in "latest trends".
My comments on cycling being like a fashion industry had nothing to do with brakes...but some people just love to take what I say out of context, twist it and make it look like I am he bad guy...That's just the way it is on internet forums.
Old 01-13-23, 03:11 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I largely agree, but Aja has aged very nicely.
Not as well as Royal Scam. Aja had too many Top 40 songs that were played to death back in the day. I prefer their lesser known songs.

Last edited by Lombard; 01-13-23 at 03:19 PM.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-13-23, 03:14 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You might want to get that memory checked:
I own two bikes with disc brakes, my comments about fashion don't even apply to the actual brakes.
Old 01-13-23, 03:17 PM
tomato coupe

... my comments about fashion don't even apply to the actual brakes.
Your statement was in direct response to another poster's question about why someone would replace their brakes.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-13-23, 03:20 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
... and homes people could afford.

Deal.
Along with the 18% mortgage rates from the 1970's? No thanks.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-13-23, 03:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
My comments on cycling being like a fashion industry had nothing to do with brakes...but some people just love to take what I say out of context, twist it and make it look like I am he bad guy...That's just the way it is on internet forums.
It's not out of context, or twisted. The subject of the thread was brakes, and the comment you quoted in your post was about brakes.
Old 01-13-23, 03:25 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Your statement was in direct response to another poster's question about why someone would replace their brakes.
My comment had nothing to do with the actual disc brakes...You can believe whatever you want.
Old 01-13-23, 03:28 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

After going back through those 20 pages, I've got overload. Torture is all I can say. On the flip side, BF is getting some run and discussions. Maybe that's why these threads aren't closed earlier.
Yep. Every post brings in ad revenue.
Old 01-13-23, 03:31 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
It's not out of context, or twisted. The subject of the thread was brakes, and the comment you quoted in your post was about brakes.
Clearly he was using someone else's label "fashionable brakes" to make a point about fashion, not to agree that disc brakes are nothing more.
Old 01-13-23, 04:07 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Kontact
Clearly he was using someone else's label "fashionable brakes" to make a point about fashion, not to agree that disc brakes are nothing more.
If he just wanted to make a point about fashion, there would have been no reason to quote the other poster asking a question about switching brakes. Poor reasoning, weak excuse.
Old 01-13-23, 04:28 PM
Kontact 

If he just wanted to make a point about fashion, there would have been no reason to quote the other poster asking a question about switching brakes. Poor reasoning, weak excuse.
It's either an excuse or poor reasoning. It can't be both.

But I knew exactly what he meant, so who is reasoning poorly?
Old 01-13-23, 04:30 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Kontact
It's either an excuse or poor reasoning. It can't be both.

But I knew exactly what he meant, so who is reasoning poorly?
His excuse is weak. Your reasoning is poor. They exist simultaneously.
Old 01-13-23, 05:16 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Why then, is there so much negativity towards people who are satisfied with not having the latest/greatest? Why all the negative comments towards riders who want to keep their rim brakes? It shouldn't matter. Look at the amount of posts on this thread and the rim brake thread. There's the evidence. Now we have the 14k bike thread. A more costly version of this thread. Let's see where it goes.
I don't see what you're seeing. Just shake it off and move on.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-13-23, 05:25 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
As I see it, the comments are more directed at the equipment, not the user. But some here are so invested in their "retro" identity that they think any criticism of older gear is a personal insult to them.
I don't disagree with what I understand your point to be - people shouldn't take criticisms of equipment personally. But the point is, why criticize "retro" equipment at all? It's fine, it works well and nobody should care.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-13-23, 05:38 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
But the point is, why criticize "retro" equipment at all? It's fine, it works well and nobody should care.
Hell if I know. Because it's human nature to be critical? Because basic utility isn't everyone's measure of desirability?

The fact is, nobody should care if other people like or dislike the things they like or dislike, but there are people here whose job in life is to be continually offended by others' preferences.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-14-23, 02:19 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I see the same kind of thing. But I wonder if the introduction to older music is more likely coming from the music streaming apps. My 13 year old daughter listens to a vast range of music simply because of Spotify. She listens to all kinds of stuff from auto-generated playlists etc. I think it's awesome.
Probably a little of both. I have definitely had students tell me their father or mother plays it all the time, but never considered auto playlists on streaming services. It's cool that they get exposed to the good stuff one way or another.
Old 01-14-23, 06:59 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Probably a little of both. I have definitely had students tell me their father or mother plays it all the time, but never considered auto playlists on streaming services. It's cool that they get exposed to the good stuff one way or another.
Definitely all good. Music streaming has opened up a whole new world for me too over the past few years. It's so much easier to surf different genres and follow their related links and playlists etc. I've discovered some amazing material that I never would have found previously.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-14-23, 07:09 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Not one time did I ever say that disc brakes are a fashion statement. My very first reply in the rim vs disc brakes thread was that I have two bikes with disc brakes and one with rim brakes.... and that the " The main advantage of disc brakes is that they prevent rims from wearing out when riding in wet and dirty conditions"... and what I said is absolutely true....As soon as I said that anther poster came along and blasted me for saying the truth and that's when the entire thread started going of the rails.
You actually said it was their ONLY advantage. The other poster pointed out other advantages.

Oh and that is not when the thread started going off the rails. That began when you stated that cycling has become a fashion industry.

Last edited by PeteHski; 01-14-23 at 07:17 AM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-14-23, 08:01 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Oh and that is not when the thread started going off the rails. That began when you stated that cycling has become a fashion industry.
This thread started being “off the rails” with the first post.

It wasn’t even a train.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 01-14-23, 11:30 AM
Kontact 

If cycling isn't driven by fashion, it sure isn't driven by science or sound engineering:

There is no data that stiff frames are actually more efficient - but more flexible ones have some data showing they are.

Ceramic bearings, normally only valued for high rpm/temperature applications are considered valuable to cyclists. Meanwhile clutched drivetrains have noticeable drag.

Big road tires are supposed to have less rolling resistance. But that only happens when they are inflated well above what anyone would ride them at. The lowest rolling resistance tire to date remains a skin wall 23c.

Bicycle companies keep building stuff that will almost automatically corrode. Alloy nipples in carbon rims crumble from galvanic corrosion, only to be replaced by bronze nipples that fall apart from the ammonia in tubeless sealant.

Campagnolo EPS will destroy its battery if you just let the bike sit without a magnet wrapped around the seat tube. Shimano batteries will fail if you recharge them from the wrong USB - and there was nothing in the manual about that. Warranty applies to neither situation.

Some 1x chainrings will allow the chain to the be put on wrong, and if you ride it like that once the teeth stop retaining the chain.

Some disc caliber flat mounts are a single flat section rather than two raised posts - which makes it impossible to face them for the flat underside of the caliper if they need facing.

One of the biggest watt savings - much larger than special bearings - is helmet strap that doesn't dangle under your chin. Have helmet straps changed?

Bikes have never been more prone to creaks originating in the BB, bars, stem, steerer, seat post, dropouts or cranks.

Some press fit BB designs have no reasonable way to remove worn bearings other than relying on the tight fit of those bearings to allow the inner race to yank out the other race. But you replace cartridge bearings when they have play.

In the age of disc brakes, the imperfect run-out problem of trispoke wheels became a non issue. Yet carbon rim makers are still selling expensive wheels with less aerodynamic and more easily damaged steel spokes.

Current Ultegra Di2 has no front derailleur limit screws and relies on an automatic process to make the first adjustment shift from small to large chainring. When that happens the chain is likely to fall off the large ring to the outside and right down onto the raised, matte contours of the crank - destroying the finish before the crank has ever been ridden.

Dura Ace hydraulic levers will leak if they are clamped to the handlebar at a normal torque.

There is no standard for carbon rail shape, so supposed 7x9 saddles and seatposts are often incompatible.

One of the biggest fitting brands is based on the junk science of KOPS equally peak power/efficiency. As if gravity has anything to do with pedaling. No one has ever been able to replicate this data, yet it is sold as the pinnacle fitting product.

And my personal favorite - there is no relationship between sit bone width and the outer width of the saddle.

Last edited by Kontact; 01-14-23 at 11:34 AM.
Likes For Kontact:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.