Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Challenge: a Week Without Driving

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-23, 12:29 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts

October 2 - 8, one week, no driving. https://www.disabilityrightswa.org/p...ymobility/wwd/

Our local transportation advocacy group is going to get something going in our area, especially with our local government officials. How about you?
Old 06-26-23, 12:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
October 2 - 8, one week, no driving. https://www.disabilityrightswa.org/p...ymobility/wwd/

Our local transportation advocacy group is going to get something going in our area, especially with our local government officials. How about you?
Be careful here.

Roughly 20 years ago, I came home from overseas landing on July 4th. Given the timing, and wanting to celebrate I decided to declare independence from OPEC. The plan was to do it for a month, including commuting 6+ miles each way. That went so well, that I extended it through the summer, than until Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then until weather made miserable. That year we had a mile winter, and soon it was March, and having made it through winter, I saw no reason to stop. Ultimately it lasted 9 years until I retired.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 06-26-23, 01:25 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Good for you! (I've never owned a car; 95% of my transport needs are supplied by boots, bike, and bus pass. Hubby's econobox covers the rest.)

The rules of the challenge are basically that you can get around any way you want, including ride hail and rides from friends, but:

... make a note of how much you “owe” this person in their time, and if you felt obligated to support them in other ways (ie, doing all the dishes). You can use ride hail or taxis if they exist where you need to go, but again, think about how the cost could impact your decision to take this trip if this was regularly your only option.
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Be careful here.

Roughly 20 years ago, I came home from overseas landing on July 4th. Given the timing, and wanting to celebrate I decided to declare independence from OPEC. The plan was to do it for a month, including commuting 6+ miles each way. That went so well, that I extended it through the summer, than until Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then until weather made miserable. That year we had a mile winter, and soon it was March, and having made it through winter, I saw no reason to stop. Ultimately it lasted 9 years until I retired.
Likes For Korina:
Old 06-26-23, 01:55 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Yes, it it is easier to be car free, and bike about or walk about, than it is to try and wean yourself off a car while you have one. I lived almost exclusively in small towns, especially small college towns, and never needed a car.
Old 06-27-23, 05:23 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
It is also easier to be "car-free", when a spouse, partner, roommate or friend can be counted on to use their motor vehicle to cover whatever chores, shopping or transportation requirements that cannot be supplied conveniently by the "car-free" person's boots, bike, and bus pass.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 06-27-23, 08:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
My average mileage/year since 2016 is going to be right around 3,000, up from mid-2000s, thanks to the bikeable office being closed and me driving about 34 miles round trip to work. I have also had to do more shopping by car since my illness, but that is changing. Maybe I'll be able to go on your again by the week of 10/2. That would certainly be something to shoot for.
Old 06-27-23, 08:54 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I live in a small rural town about 20 miles from anywhere, so not able to go car free. There is zero public transportation and the nearest Uber is 30 miles away.
Old 06-27-23, 09:08 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
I usually go well over a month between filling my gas tank and many times it's still about 3/4 full. I do wonder if it's worth keeping, because of the other expenses, especially insurance.

Old 06-27-23, 09:23 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
It is also easier to be "car-free", when a spouse, partner, roommate or friend can be counted on to use their motor vehicle to cover whatever chores, shopping or transportation requirements that cannot be supplied conveniently by the "car-free" person's boots, bike, and bus pass.
I still think of them as “car free-er,” since they are pooling car use and making better use of their shopping habits etc. The inherent inefficiency of public transit makes it impractical, if not impossible, as an alternative to automobile use for shopping/chores etc.
Old 06-27-23, 09:35 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
It's time for me to start riding to work again. Winters can be a challenge but doable. Grocery shopping is also a challenge but again doable.
Old 06-27-23, 09:59 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Doable…..

Originally Posted by bikemig
It's time for me to start riding to work again. Winters can be a challenge but doable. Grocery shopping is also a challenge but again doable.
I found that bike shopping for groceries made me have a healthier diet as well. Bulky junk food gave way to vegetables and fruit. It is tricky and things like milk are heavy and ice cream is out if the question. Or is it? 🤣
Old 06-27-23, 10:46 AM
work4bike

That is true, but it's also still a good thing. I was car-free, while my wife had a car and of course I used it from time-to-time, so I never claimed to be "car-free". However, we were abnormal for the typical American family by only having one car for a household of two adults and 3 children. If more people did that, imagine the amount of fuel saved, as just one example. From the mid-80's to 2018 we were a one-car family.

BTW, all the kids are gone now, but we do have two cars, because I had to get an old pick-up truck to haul stuff; however, I hardly use that truck and I'm thinking of ways to rent a vehicle so I can dump the truck.

Old 06-27-23, 03:30 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

The challenge is for a week, and it's not supposed to be easy, it's supposed to make you think.
Likes For Korina:
Old 06-27-23, 03:30 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by work4bike
However, we were abnormal for the typical American family by only having one car for a household of two adults and 3 children. If more people did that, imagine the amount of fuel saved, as just one example. From the mid-80's to 2018 we were a one-car family.

BTW, all the kids are gone now, but we do have two cars, because I had to get an old...
If more people owned only one vehicle, rather than multiple vehicles, but still used that vehicle to drive the same annual mileage there would be zero fuel saved, especially if the single vehicle had to fulfill multiple transportation roles for a family such as towing, hauling stuff, transporting family for trips, commuting,etc.
Old 06-27-23, 03:36 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Korina
The challenge is for a week, and it's not supposed to be easy, it's supposed to make you think.
I think this type of challenge is similar to previous one week boycots of gas stations to protest the price of gasoline. Innefective and unlikely to change anybody's behavior in the long run.
Old 06-27-23, 04:56 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
I guess I could just stay home for a week.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 06-27-23, 09:59 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Different interpretation..,

I think this type of challenge is similar to previous one week boycots of gas stations to protest the price of gasoline. Innefective and unlikely to change anybody's behavior in the long run.
It reminds me more of the Great American Smokeout. I think the point is to get folks to give thoughts about cycling/walking vs short car trips a fair shake. The destruction of neighborhoods/communities in recent decades makes this a much greater challenge than it would have been, say in the 1950s. But it is a good start.
Likes For Roughstuff:
Old 06-28-23, 04:57 AM
work4bike

If more people owned only one vehicle, rather than multiple vehicles, but still used that vehicle to drive the same annual mileage there would be zero fuel saved, especially if the single vehicle had to fulfill multiple transportation roles for a family such as towing, hauling stuff, transporting family for trips, commuting,etc.
That's true. I meant to imply that it would force many to seek an alternative form of transportation....but I guess that's just a pipe dream. People do love those steel boxes on wheels.
Old 06-28-23, 01:04 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Originally Posted by work4bike
That's true. I meant to imply that it would force many to seek an alternative form of transportation....but I guess that's just a pipe dream. People do love those steel boxes on wheels.
The key word in your post is "force." I don't think Americans---the rest of the world, either, but there are countries that insist---should be "forced" to do anything with regards to transportation. For a country the size of the US, our multi-modal transportation system is one reason why our economy provides many goods (and services, for that matter) at lower cost than just about any other place. Germany, France, and Italy spend close to twice as much as a % of their income on food than the US does. As a % of GDP, we spend less on energy than Europe as well.

I just wish people would realize that INDIVIDUALLY, they can use multimodal as well. Walking, biking, ride sharing, and busses make sense of in a lot of places. If consciousness raising was focused on health and wealth benefits, it would be far more effective.

Last edited by Roughstuff; 06-28-23 at 01:08 PM.
Likes For Roughstuff:
Old 06-28-23, 03:36 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

I have a bit of an issue with challenges like this and the implied virtue signalling. Everyone has his own unique situation, and circumstances. It might relate to geography, ie. distance and terrain, schedule, family responsibilities, health or physical condition, economic considerations, and so on. We arrange our lives as best we can based on that and that may or may not include going car free (even for a day).

As I posted earlier I went car free spanning 10 years, but it wasn't especially difficult. I'd been a lifelong recreational cyclist since I was 16, live in an area where the riding is pretty decent, owned my own business, so getting to work wet or sweaty wasn't an issue, have no children to ferry around, and where I live is not far off from what approximates a 15 minute city.

Over the years, people would congratulate me for how I take care of my health, or while car free for doing so. I always clarify that I don't ride for health, or out of some sense of social awareness. I RIDE BECAUSE I ENJOY RIDING and everything else is an unintended benefit. I say this because I feel that people should have maximum freedom to arrange their lives as nest suits them, without pressure to be "good". Hopefully they will, but it should come from within, not from a sense of obligation.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 06-28-23 at 03:43 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 06-28-23, 09:06 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

@FBinNY, did you notice that it's sponsored by Disability Rights Washington?
Old 06-28-23, 10:06 PM
FBinNY 

Yes, but I focused on the message rather than the messenger. And, since this is a cycling forum, I focused on that aspect.

FWIW I find the attempt to connect folks who can't afford cars and those physically unable to drive kind of forced.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 06-28-23, 11:00 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
If more people owned only one vehicle, rather than multiple vehicles, but still used that vehicle to drive the same annual mileage there would be zero fuel saved, especially if the single vehicle had to fulfill multiple transportation roles for a family such as towing, hauling stuff, transporting family for trips, commuting, etc.
In my experience it can play out in a variety of ways. Sometimes the same amount of trips are taken, just in one car instead of two. Sometimes fewer trips are taken, because coordinating various people's needs necessitates some shared trips and alternate means of transportation. Sometimes more trips are taken, in situations where one person has to get dropped off, then the car is driven back home and used for other errands, followed by another round trip to pick up the first person.

Even if the miles are a wash, though, there's no doubt that when we've been in this situation it has caused us to be *much* more conscious of our trips in terms of optimizing them as much as possible. Plus reducing the demand for production of another vehicle is a net positive.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 06-29-23, 11:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
Even if the miles are a wash, though, there's no doubt that when we've been in this situation it has caused us to be *much* more conscious of our trips in terms of optimizing them as much as possible. Plus reducing the demand for production of another vehicle is a net positive.
I think people who are quick to criticize things that are designed to make them think about their current habits feel threatened. In reality, there is nothing threatening because there is nothing mandatory. Don't want to participate? Don't. No one is making you. Or, as you suggest, it can make one more conscious of one's own habits and at least think about possible alternatives.

Thanks to a change in my work location and an illness from which I am still recovering, I have become much more car dependent. What I have done in response is to figure out how to combine trips, often during lunch. Just today I combined a trip to a nearby big box grocery store for some things and picked up a bag of mulch at a Home Depot located in the same shopping center. Those are errand that I would have normally made on a weekend via a totally separate car trip.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-29-23, 02:36 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Thanks, @indyfabz. I hope you recover completely. The challenge is also about getting drivers to think about how other people who, for whatever reason, don't drive, get around their community. What's good, what's bad, and how it can be improved. And if they discover that occasionally leaving the car at home isn't the horrifying nightmare they imagine, all the better!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.