Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding alone all the time.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding alone all the time.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-23, 01:57 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I used to enjoy group rides more. In my club, the art of riding in a group is often lost, at least on faster rides. Too many people ride at paces that suit them instead of sticking with the group.

When on tour, I much prefer to hit the road alone for up to two weeks. It's my escape from constant interaction with people. BITD I spent 3 months riding across the U.S> with 12 strangers. I would never do that again. At the end of the tour, I was so happy to get away from them and ride home solo.
In 1990 I toured for 6 weeks with 3 guys from my club. I had done a lot of day rides with them prior but after that trip 3 of us couldn't wait to get away from the other one.
None of us ever rode with him again.
Old 06-23-23, 06:12 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
Y'know, far be it from me to disparage or dismiss what others do* but fwiw I could never only ride alone. I definitely appreciate the times when I do ride alone, and I could never not ride alone some of the time... but group riding is the thing that actually got me excited about road cycling, and so I have to make it a part of my weekly diet. Mixing it up between solo and group rides, that's the shiznit.

*-- wait, who am I kidding? this is the internet! -- YOU'RE ALL DOING IT WRONG!!!
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 06-23-23, 11:43 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
1:43AM and ready to head out for a solo ride right now with me, myself and I.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 06-24-23, 06:08 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
1:43AM and ready to head out for a solo ride right now with me, myself and I.
Is that an early morning or late night ride for you?
Old 06-24-23, 08:39 AM
Jimriides
NotaNewbie

Bikes: Cannondale FSI - Cannondale R1000 - Firestone Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
All my Riding Friends have either Died or Moved away. It is both an Old thing and a California thing. I ride alone, every other day.
Old 06-24-23, 10:02 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Is that an early morning or late night ride for you?
Night rides begin before Midnight and can continue until after sunrise with Morning rides starting after Midnight to 1AM called a Midnight Madness Ride and after 1AM they are simply Morning Rides. Today's ride of 25.52 miles was a Morning Ride.
Old 06-24-23, 10:53 AM
Jimriides
NotaNewbie

Bikes: Cannondale FSI - Cannondale R1000 - Firestone Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Rides

I’m in Anaheim Ca. I have 3 rides I do often. Lincoln to Green River and Back on SART. Lincoln/St College to Irvine Park and Back. Those are morning rides. Lincoln/ St College to Disneyland, then Anaheim Stadium to catch both Fireworks shows. That is my Night Ride. All are great in their own way.
Old 06-27-23, 06:41 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
I much prefer riding alone. Riding with others typically involves:
1) People who forget things like water.
2) People who want to talk during the entire ride about all the things they've fixed or worse "political chat".
3) People with ADD who crash on a regular basis.

I'd generally rather work a full day than to ride with someone else #getoffmylawn.
Old 06-27-23, 09:08 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I ride alone 90% of the time, but I wish I had a riding buddy here who I could go on long rides with. I don't mind the solitude but sometimes it would be nice to have someone to ride with. I do ride on some group rides with the local cycling group but it's not quite the same.
Old 06-27-23, 09:31 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Since I ride solo the majority of the time, I use a right ear bud and either listen to pod casts or music. Depending on the ride type (brisk, recovery, etc) I select matching music tempo.

Old 06-27-23, 10:27 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
As for riding early, that doesn't mean you have to ride alone, necessarily. Here in the Twin Cities I know two groups that ride early in the summer. one begins around 4:40 AM, the other around 5:45 AM. Neither of these are official clubs, they are groups of friends who started something and the groups have grown by word of mouth. I'm sure this isn't the only place where this is happening.

As to riding alone versus riding in groups, I do both and wouldn't want to do 100% of either. They are different experiences, both of which I value.

Sometimes less-mentioned virtues of group rides are that they take you on different routes. You learn routes or pieces of routes that you wouldn't have otherwise known. Riding alone, it's easy to get into a rut riding the same handful of routes over and over again, which can get boring. You can learn new routes in groups and then incorporate those into your solo repertoire.
Old 06-27-23, 01:31 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Originally Posted by boozergut
Riding with others typically involves...People who want to talk during the entire ride about all the things they've fixed or worse "political chat".
Jeez, I wish I could hook up with folks who want to have a "political chat" while riding! I would much rather have a knock-down drag-out Left vs Right political argument during a group ride than have to listen to yet another knucklehead talking about his new lawnmower, or how his [insert name of body part] hurts all the time, or the weather, or "Hey, How About Those Yankees?"

But I will agree that a silent group ride is better than any conversation regardless of subject matter. Save the chit-chat for the rest stop, or post-ride beers.
Old 06-27-23, 06:54 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I ride alone 99.9% of the time. In my case, I work at home and my schedule is a little all over the place, but also because of having worked alone at home for the last 20 years, I simply don't meet many new people, riders or not! But compounding that is, a) I'm naturally a bit of a loner, and b) at 63 the other riders in my age range in my locale are typically roadies, which I am not. I ride two different steel gravel bikes - geared and singlespeed - and ride almost entirely off-road on singletrack and fire roads, y'know, "underbiking". Pretty tough conditions here, actually. It's the kind of riding that gets me stoked and keeps me strong. The other folks who ride my style are typically much younger--30's maybe some 40's. When I do run into another geezer like me out there on a similar rig I always try and strike up a conversation!
Old 06-27-23, 08:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Would prefer to find some riding buddies, but being retired, it’s extremely difficult to meet other people with a pretty open schedule mid-week. To compound the issue, finding someone who rides around my pace (am always willing to ride a couple of MPH slower or maybe one or two faster on average), and isn’t afraid of doing some climbing. I am finding there are fewer people my age who are so dedicated. There are those so years my junior who are dedicated but they do centuries with insane climbing (one group last week climber 10,000’ over 100 miles). There needs to be an app or website like Match.com for cyclists where they can state their ability and find similar in their area. Any web developers out there?

Old 06-27-23, 08:46 PM
polyrhythmia

Bikes: Trek 5600 Carbon road bike, Giant Anyroad Comax gravel bike, Cruzbike QX100

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Ridden almost entirely alone for more than 40 years now. That said, I will often break my pace to ride for a time with someone I meet. I don't think I will be able to do a century without someone or a group to keep motivation like I did when I was young.
Old 06-28-23, 10:54 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Would prefer to find some riding buddies, but being retired, it’s extremely difficult to meet other people with a pretty open schedule mid-week. To compound the issue, finding someone who rides around my pace (am always willing to ride a couple of MPH slower or maybe one or two faster on average), and isn’t afraid of doing some climbing. I am finding there are fewer people my age who are so dedicated. There are those so years my junior who are dedicated but they do centuries with insane climbing (one group last week climber 10,000’ over 100 miles). There needs to be an app or website like Match.com for cyclists where they can state their ability and find similar in their area. Any web developers out there?
That's an advantage of doing club rides for so many years (34). I have met people who are happy to ride my pace and are also now retired. My Tuesday ride group is usually only 4 or 5 riders but we are comfortable with each other and have no problem shortening a ride or reducing climbing if one doesn't feel up to it. We also enjoy a coffee stop and chat on our short-ish 40 mile rides. If it's windy we have a route which is somewhat protected by the mountains where we stop for a slice of pizza.

On Saturday club rides if the Tuesday riders are there I know I will not be dropped. In fact, most of the Saturday club rides lately have been staying together.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-28-23, 08:41 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by rsbob
I'm surprised to read this. Seattle and western Washington are areas with many organized clubs and rides. I would have thought surely there is something in the area that would suit.

Here i the Twin Cities, there are a ton of group rides going out on weekday mornings, populated mostly by retirees.

From the TCBC (Twin Cities Bicycle Club) calendar, color coding is ride pace

Likes For MinnMan:
Old 06-28-23, 09:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I'm surprised to read this. Seattle and western Washington are areas with many organized clubs and rides. I would have thought surely there is something in the area that would suit.

Here i the Twin Cities, there are a ton of group rides going out on weekday mornings, populated mostly by retirees.

From the TCBC (Twin Cities Bicycle Club) calendar, color coding is ride pace

You are right about the clubs in the Seattle area. There is Cascade and the Redmond Cycling club to name the biggies. I live about 45 minutes outside of Seattle so getting to rides is doable, but finding ones that match my speed (18 on flats and distance of 50-30) is tough. There is a lot of great places to ride in the area, so maybe I should quit my whining and be happy with that.

Pics from today’s solo:

Lake Sammamish

Non-dirt

Dirt

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-30-23, 09:50 AM
JustaJoe

Bikes: 2022 Kona Dr. Dew, 2022 Specialized Vado

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
I was aching to ride with others, until I did - now I have 0 interest in it.* My rides are about clearing the head, getting exercise at my pace, exploring new routes, stopping to talk to dogs and maybe their owners, observing wildlife, and sometimes just stopping to stare off into space / chase a thought / watch an activity at the park (soccer, baseball, etc.).

The couple of groups I joined were very accommodating, but their objectives and styles were very different from mine. And one group turned out to be religious zealots (no offense, but praying before a rough section of trail ain't my thing).

*My lovely bride has recently started riding, couple of modest rides per week. I enjoy going at her pace, chatting, laughing. Strengthens our relationship or something.
Likes For JustaJoe:
Old 06-30-23, 10:01 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by JustaJoe
I was aching to ride with others, until I did - now I have 0 interest in it.* My rides are about clearing the head, getting exercise at my pace, exploring new routes, stopping to talk to dogs and maybe their owners, observing wildlife, and sometimes just stopping to stare off into space / chase a thought / watch an activity at the park (soccer, baseball, etc.).

The couple of groups I joined were very accommodating, but their objectives and styles were very different from mine. And one group turned out to be religious zealots (no offense, but praying before a rough section of trail ain't my thing).

*My lovely bride has recently started riding, couple of modest rides per week. I enjoy going at her pace, chatting, laughing. Strengthens our relationship or something.
More power to you - do it your way.

There is a local Sunday ride called "Bike Church", but the advert for it has a disclaimer "No actual religious worship will take place during this ride."
The bicycle ride itself is their sacrament.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 07-07-23, 06:57 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Originally Posted by JustaJoe
I was aching to ride with others, until I did - now I have 0 interest in it.* My rides are about clearing the head, getting exercise at my pace ...
Kudos to you for recognizing that having one's own agenda (e.g., getting your own desired workout, exercising at "my pace") is almost always antithetical to what makes a Group Ride work.
A Group Ride isn't just a bunch of cyclists going in the same direction in close proximity; to truly be a "group" every individual in that group needs to share a set of common goals...and one of those goals is "work together to make this group better than the sum of its individuals"
Having your own personal exercise agenda never works towards that goal.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 07-07-23, 11:09 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
I ride alone 100% of the time. I have only rode with a group a few times. I used to live an hour and a half north of here. My route crossed with a club ride at a place everyone has to stop they invited me to ride with them for the 3.5 miles our route ran together 10-20 bikers kitted out on modern road bikes and Grizzly Adams in cargo shorts and a tee shirt on a vintage steel road bike in the back half of the pack. Not really my thing. I tend to ride at a speed on the local trails that around half of the riders are slower than me and half are faster having someone to ride with once in a while would be nice
​​​
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 07-07-23, 09:37 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,533 Times in 3,032 Posts
I ride to get away from people. Very peaceful.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-07-23, 10:22 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I ride to get away from people. Very peaceful.
So did this guy...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 07-09-23, 08:54 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I ride alone 97% of the time just easier. However I often will go in NYC to ride among other humans which I like. I push harder if among others..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.