Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Fatalities in Virginia

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Fatalities in Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-23, 03:30 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Fatalities in Virginia

“I’ve been riding for decades on the same roads around Richmond and it’s gotten progressively worse,” said Willett, who had ridden with Holland on the road where she was killed. “It’s just not as safe as it used to be.”

Virginia
Old 06-28-23, 08:25 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
It certainly doesn't help that auto manufacturers are making trucks and SUV's bigger and bigger every year, and everyone's staring at their phones while driving.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 06-30-23, 03:00 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Unhelmeted cyclists have remained the most common factor in fatal crashes; six of the nine cyclists who have died so far this year reportedly were not wearing helmets, Saunders said.
Notice they neglect to mention how many of those nine cyclists died from head injuries. But cudos to the reporter for not using the "a" word.
Likes For Korina:
Old 06-30-23, 04:36 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
It certainly doesn't help that auto manufacturers are making trucks and SUV's bigger and bigger every year, and everyone's staring at their phones while driving.
I’m hoping that the requirement to have lane change warning systems will help alert drivers that they are not paying attention, possibly helping save a few lives of cyclists riding on shoulders. That new technology is a good thing
Old 06-30-23, 05:07 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Notice they neglect to mention how many of those nine cyclists died from head injuries. But cudos to the reporter for not using the "a" word.
Also neglected to mention how many of the nine fatally injured cyclists suffered only head injuries or any indication, let alone evidence, that a helmet would have made a whit of difference in the outcome.

What is the "a" word?
Old 07-01-23, 06:07 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
I think a lot of these issues also has to do with simple population growth. The area I live was very unpopulated back in the mid-80's when I started riding, but now all roads seem to be packed. There has been a 30% population increase between 2000 and today.

However, as bad as it is here I can imagine larger cities. In the D.C. area, where my family is from, has grown even more. I'll never complain about my local traffic, because I know just how bad it can get from my occasional visits back home in Maryland.

EDIT: Yes, the issue of today's phones don't help, not just because people have phones, but because they are so capable that just saps people's attention.

Old 07-01-23, 01:21 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Also neglected to mention how many of the nine fatally injured cyclists suffered only head injuries or any indication, let alone evidence, that a helmet would have made a whit of difference in the outcome.

What is the "a" word?
"Accident". The reporter was responsible and used "crash".
Likes For Korina:
Old 07-02-23, 01:59 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 249 Posts
How many were hogging the lane?? That is the question. The writer moans about riding side-by-side.
I ride FRAP 100%, everywhere from sidewalks to double merge lane freeways and 2 lane lesser highways with 14 foot loads going by.
ZERO inconsideration from anybody, except other CYCLISTS. LOL. Most of those have Ebikes.
Quite the opposite actually, drivers are slowing and stopping if I want them to or not.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 07-02-23 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-02-23, 06:56 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I cannot drive 5 miles from my house and not see motorists weaving from one side of the lane to the other and often crossing over and on to the shoulder. This used to be people lighting a cigarette and zoning out, but now it is people whose attention is focused on their cell phone and not paying attention to what is happening around them. A careless motorist can kill a few bicyclists and not go to jail so not much incentive for people to go hands free with their phones even where it is illegal not to do so.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 07-07-23, 02:52 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
How many were hogging the lane?? That is the question. The writer moans about riding side-by-side.
I ride FRAP 100%, everywhere from sidewalks to double merge lane freeways and 2 lane lesser highways with 14 foot loads going by.
ZERO inconsideration from anybody, except other CYCLISTS. LOL. Most of those have Ebikes.
Quite the opposite actually, drivers are slowing and stopping if I want them to or not.
FRAP is subjective. While motorists' just want cyclists' out of the way. They(and law enforcement) never consider the rights of the cyclist. Because, 'Practicable' is not up to the motorist, or even law enforcement. Except to follow the rules of the road. Not where the driving public wants' you to ride.
Old 07-07-23, 03:01 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
“I’ve been riding for decades on the same roads around Richmond and it’s gotten progressively worse,” said Willett, who had ridden with Holland on the road where she was killed. “It’s just not as safe as it used to be.”

Virginia
Anecdotes are not data.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-08-23, 01:11 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
"Rainer emphasized the importance of looking out for one another on the open road."

Right. (Insert flying pig emoji here)
Old 07-11-23, 10:45 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,533 Times in 3,032 Posts
I have seen a sharp decline in road cycling the last few years in my area of the world. Too many distracted drivers even in the boonies.
Old 07-12-23, 09:03 PM
billew
meandering nomad

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Anecdotes are not data.
"Decades" An anecdote is "My helmet saved my life" one time. Decades of experience is data whether it was watched by second year student or not. I have observed the same thing over my decades of riding. I easily remember when people flipping out with road rage was very rare not to mention the cell phones adding to the distractions. The whole attitude of "everyone is in my way" instead of other people are going somewhere too. This self centered me me me crap is what has changed things.
Likes For billew:
Old 07-13-23, 11:00 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Anecdotes are not data.
Anecdotes can absolutely have scientific value and are often the impetus behind what becomes data/science.
Old 07-13-23, 11:08 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
OTOH, the quoted text doesn't even really qualify as an anecdote. It's an impression. That things aren't as good as they used to be. Doesn't matter what the topic is, someone will always opine that.
Old 07-13-23, 11:31 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Anecdotes can absolutely have scientific value and are often the impetus behind what becomes data/science.
Let me repeat and elaborate. Anecdotes are not data. They are untested, unconfirmed, unreplicated, and are subject to every conceivable form of bias and error.

Anecdotes make for fine conversation. To the extent that casual observation leads someone to form and test a hypothesis, sure, they have value. But they don't prove a point or contradict actual research.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-14-23, 01:42 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I have seen a sharp decline in road cycling the last few years in my area of the world. Too many distracted drivers even in the boonies.
I've driven around East Texas quite a bit. I've noticed that every rural goat trail has a 70mph speed limit, or higher. Roads that take every ounce of concentration in a SEDAN, much less some distracted driver in a dualie pickup pulling a trailer full of lumber. No thanks. I will not be cycling any of those roads.
Old 07-15-23, 01:54 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
There was a rapid jump in traffic accidents with the introduction of smartphones and social media. It is rare for me to see anyone using their phone hands free even though that is the law (never enforced by cops). I cannot drive 10 miles without seeing someone going outside their traffic lane and people do not even put the phone down when merging with traffic when entering a freeway and they tend to hold the phone with their left hand and it blocks the side mirror.

I spend more time now riding mountain bikes on trails where there is no auto traffic. I avoid completely the roads around my house as they are not safe for bicyclists with drivers going much too fast around curves and having no concept of total braking distance (time to get the foot on the brake and start apply it to slow the vehicle).

There are stupid cyclists of all ages that do not help. Earlier in the week I was traveling north on Hwy 1 which has the highest traffic volume of any two-lane highway in the United States and there was a bicyclist going along the edge of the fog line and he was wearing a dark gray and navy blue bike jersey. His outfit made him blend into his surroundings.
Old 07-15-23, 02:17 PM
bikelif3

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
If people earn their living from violence, they drive violently...