Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Headlamp solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 09:23 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
I'm looking for ideas that rotate around a headlamp fitting in with the bike's shape.

First thought was Revolights. Slam dunk! They're out of business, tho.

Then, maybe: Magnic Wega.

Hmph! Can't find any place to buy them.

Last edited by tcs; 06-16-23 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-19-23, 12:51 AM
Tawraste666

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Once again, thank you guys so much for your many suggestions. It is nice to see some truly 'novel' ideas coming out.
Hopefully a suitable, available and novel idea will rise to the surface.
To those who are critical of my request:
Yes, my bike is overkill for a daily 8 mile commute.
Yes, in the dark you can't see the aesthetic abomination that is 99% of bicycle lights these days.
Yes, I am being obsessive and a little pedantic.
However, trying to improve my bike brings me a lot of pleasure. It is not just a machine to be utilised, it is something with which I can nurture a sense of pride and enjoyment. Overall, it is a positive thing.
There is a huge amount of positivity here on this forum, and I think that this is something to be encouraged.
Thanks again for your ideas guys, please keep them coming.
Old 06-19-23, 08:27 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Tawraste666
Once again, thank you guys so much for your many suggestions. It is nice to see some truly 'novel' ideas coming out.
Hopefully a suitable, available and novel idea will rise to the surface.
To those who are critical of my request:
Yes, my bike is overkill for a daily 8 mile commute.
Yes, in the dark you can't see the aesthetic abomination that is 99% of bicycle lights these days.
Yes, I am being obsessive and a little pedantic.
However, trying to improve my bike brings me a lot of pleasure. It is not just a machine to be utilised, it is something with which I can nurture a sense of pride and enjoyment. Overall, it is a positive thing.
There is a huge amount of positivity here on this forum, and I think that this is something to be encouraged.
Thanks again for your ideas guys, please keep them coming.
You are fortunate that you can commute on a bike like that.

I did not commute to work on a bike but a lot of my co-workers did. In summer there were over a hundred bikes parked outside the building I worked in. Your bike would have lasted less than two weeks before it was stolen. I think the median age of the bikes was about a decade, nobody wanted to ride a nice new bike to work. I am retired, no longer commute. But when I do ride a bike to where I used to work, I use a 1990s mountain bike that I bought at a garage sale for $5. The uglier the better.
Old 06-19-23, 08:43 AM
Tawraste666

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
You are fortunate that you can commute on a bike like that.
Well that's true. But to be fair, I commute all year round and so do not own a car. Also, the bike had a massive 500 bucks off it in a January sale.
I think if you're going north of 5000 miles a year you should have a nice, and lighter bike.
Old 06-27-23, 09:06 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 1,083 Posts

I’m into round lights - not into the angular / darth vader look - so often go with two knog plug lights .... sorta kinda has the off road rally look ... possible option if you are into the round look

knog blinder is a better option - used blinder 400 on mrs t2p bike this past weekend
Old 06-28-23, 07:32 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by t2p

I’m into round lights - not into the angular / darth vader look - so often go with two knog plug lights .... sorta kinda has the off road rally look ... possible option if you are into the round look

knog blinder is a better option - used blinder 400 on mrs t2p bike this past weekend
But with that camo bar tape, nobody will see you <joking>.

You have a nice setup with the fork mount in the vehicle.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 06-29-23, 06:38 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 1,083 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
But with that camo bar tape, nobody will see you <joking>.

You have a nice setup with the fork mount in the vehicle.

this pic shows both bikes - bike on left has Knog Blinder 400 installed

thanks - had to use an adapter to mount thru axle fork to the carrier fork mounts - and also have another adapter to mount a lefty fork

removing the wheels can be considered a hassle - but the bikes are transported inside

double hassle when transporting the bike with the lefty because the front caliper also needs to be removed (and then reinstalled) when transporting the lefty bike with this fork mount carrier (later lefty forks featured a quick release caliper mount - but not on my bike)
Old 06-29-23, 08:03 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by t2p

this pic shows both bikes - bike on left has Knog Blinder 400 installed

thanks - had to use an adapter to mount thru axle fork to the carrier fork mounts - and also have another adapter to mount a lefty fork

removing the wheels can be considered a hassle - but the bikes are transported inside

double hassle when transporting the bike with the lefty because the front caliper also needs to be removed (and then reinstalled) when transporting the lefty bike with this fork mount carrier (later lefty forks featured a quick release caliper mount - but not on my bike)
I am sticking with quick release hubs and most of my bikes are rim brake.

When I bought my Lynskey, they offered conventional quick release or through axle, I went with quick release. Quite happy with that decision.
Old 06-29-23, 09:38 AM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
There are some mass-manufactured commuter-targeted bikes with front and rear lighting integrated into the top tube, but given the shop pic of your bike I imagine that might involve some undesirable compromises. It's a neat idea though. I don't have any experience working with carbon fiber - perhaps there are companies that would be willing to take your own individual design with a frame-integrated lighting system and manufacture a one-off for the right price?

In addition to price, another issue to consider in a carbon fiber frame would be heat dissipation since LEDs are somewhat heat-sensitive and carbon is not very conductive.
Old 06-29-23, 11:45 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I must be strange because I like the looks of the headlight/taillight/frame pump/underseat bag/bottle cages on my bike.
Old 06-29-23, 03:29 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I must be strange because I like the looks of the headlight/taillight/frame pump/underseat bag/bottle cages on my bike.
I think that is normal, but then I think I am normal too.
Old 06-29-23, 03:48 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
There have been a couple of kickstarter projects selling helmet lights.

Lumos Bike Helmet

https://www.amazon.com/LUMOS-Bicycle.../dp/B08WPXPPR3

Old 07-01-23, 09:22 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
My headlamp is on my helmet. You can get 500 lumens nowadays for a very good price.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 07-01-23, 09:28 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
There have been a couple of kickstarter projects selling helmet lights.

Lumos Bike Helmet

https://www.amazon.com/LUMOS-Bicycle.../dp/B08WPXPPR3

I wonder if this kickstarter originated from one of the surveys requested on BikeForums.
Old 07-02-23, 02:54 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 53 Posts
In my opinion, at least two-thirds of the ugliness of a headlight is its mount. The universal bar mount that comes with most lights is usually effective, but ugly. I use Trek's Blendr system on three of my bikes, and I quite like it. Some other stem manufacturers offer similar solutions.
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 07-02-23, 11:09 PM
Tawraste666

Originally Posted by UnCruel
In my opinion, at least two-thirds of the ugliness of a headlight is its mount. The universal bar mount that comes with most lights is usually effective, but ugly. I use Trek's Blendr system on three of my bikes, and I quite like it. Some other stem manufacturers offer similar solutions.
Absolutely spot on. I had not heard of the blendr system, but I like the idea. Thank you 👍
Old 07-03-23, 04:19 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by UnCruel
pretty much applies to all afterthought accessories.