Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Discretion is the better part of valor (this time)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-23, 07:11 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts

I'm registered for the Fabulous Forth of July ride, which this year is actually being held tomorrow, the 1st.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42954651
But, I think I'm going to consider my registration fee as a donation. Earlier this week I was doing yard work and strained my lower back muscles, which has given me a case of sciatica. Still a little sore, but I think I could ride (oddly enough, it doesn't seem to bother me when I'm on the bike) but now we have another round of unhealthy air thanks to the Canadian wildfires, and the "feels like" temps tomorrow will be in the low 100s, provided the thunderstorms and hail don't cool things off. Last time I rode in that kind of heat I ended up laying under a tree in the shade for almost an hour, and I was only a few miles from the finish. My cardiologist was not happy with me when I told him.
I think a ride in Zwift in my air conditioned home with a fan on me sounds good.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-30-23, 07:22 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
If I listened to cardiologists, I would be intubated in a nursing home.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-30-23, 08:28 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 541 Posts
I think the smoke from the fires would be my reason to drop out. We had the same thing her in California back in 2019 and although it may not seem that bad while you're just going about your daily routine you can really feel it once you settle down and realize how clogged your lungs really are.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 06-30-23, 08:44 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
If I listened to cardiologists, I would be intubated in a nursing home.
My cardiologist loves the fact that I ride and encourages me to do so - within limits. Believe me, I didn't need a cardiologist to tell me to lay down under that tree that day. My heart rate was way up and wasn't recovering as it usually does.
If I didn't listen to my cardiologist, I would be resting eternally inside a wooden box.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-30-23, 09:19 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I'm registered for the Fabulous Forth of July ride, which this year is actually being held tomorrow, the 1st.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42954651
But, I think I'm going to consider my registration fee as a donation. Earlier this week I was doing yard work and strained my lower back muscles, which has given me a case of sciatica. Still a little sore, but I think I could ride (oddly enough, it doesn't seem to bother me when I'm on the bike) but now we have another round of unhealthy air thanks to the Canadian wildfires, and the "feels like" temps tomorrow will be in the low 100s, provided the thunderstorms and hail don't cool things off. Last time I rode in that kind of heat I ended up laying under a tree in the shade for almost an hour, and I was only a few miles from the finish. My cardiologist was not happy with me when I told him.
I think a ride in Zwift in my air conditioned home with a fan on me sounds good.
If your sciatica is caused by compression of your spine and pinched nerves then the bike position will cause the spine to stretch out thus lessening impact on any nerves. This is what my Chiropractor told me. There's something called "Williams Flexion" exercise that can help. Really simple. Lie on your back and pull both knees to your chest. Hold, relax and repeat.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 06-30-23, 09:51 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by bruce19
If your sciatica is caused by compression of your spine and pinched nerves then the bike position will cause the spine to stretch out thus lessening impact on any nerves. This is what my Chiropractor told me. There's something called "Williams Flexion" exercise that can help. Really simple. Lie on your back and pull both knees to your chest. Hold, relax and repeat.
Yes, I damaged a disc years ago. Not bad enough to require surgery, but now and then it acts up if I spend too much time bending over - like I did pulling weeds from the garden. I'll try that exercise. Right now I use an inversion table, and that helps, but hanging upside down can give me a headache at times.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-30-23, 01:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
I've read and my personal experience seems to confirm, that once you have experienced heat exhaustion you may be more inclined to suffer it in the future. I've lived in the South my entire life and until the tail end of my 60s heat was no more than the inconvenience of sweaty wet clothes. I've since had a couple of episodes when I was so overheated I had to get off the bike and felt as if I was close to throwing up or passing out. The heat's a bummer but we have to take it seriously. Until a couple of years ago we had a network of country stores where we could cool off and have a cold drink. Now the proprietors are aging out and liquid replenishment is getting hard to find.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-01-23, 06:04 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I think the smoke from the fires would be my reason to drop out. We had the same thing her in California back in 2019 and although it may not seem that bad while you're just going about your daily routine you can really feel it once you settle down and realize how clogged your lungs really are.
I was an active runner (and rider) when at UCLA in the 70s. My measure of the air quality was how much it hurt to breathe deep after a run. I sometimes wonder how much damage that did to my lungs.
Old 07-01-23, 08:32 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I've had a sore back for the past couple of months which has kept me off my bike until recently. I've had this happen before, my back will be sore when I get up in the morning, but after moving around it will feel fine. Eventually it will go away and hopefully not come back, at least for a long time. I'm pretty sure I strained it when I was working on a particular project, standing on top of a ladder reaching up trying to reach something. I didn't feel any pain then but later is when it kicked in.
Old 07-06-23, 08:24 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
But, I think I'm going to consider my registration fee as a donation. Earlier this week I was doing yard work and strained my lower back muscles, which has given me a case of sciatica. Still a little sore, but ...
Back in my early 20s, I might have decided to ride in such an event. But, not these days. Back in the day, I did forego a handful of events, when I found certain aches or problems that hadn't quite recovered. With back issues? I don't blame you for being cautious.

Discretion? It's wisdom, my friend. IOW: after all that time, you've 'arrived' at last.