Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Tips on extending cell phone battery life?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-23, 09:33 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 69 Posts

When using it for navigation I'm lucky to get 3 hours. I've tried a few different phones, dimming the screen, and the map is downloaded, the phone is a secondary and doesn't have data connection so no battery lost there. Seems using GPS absolutely kills the battery, wondering if theres's anything I can try? I'd prefer not to run a cable from a remote battery pack - nor have to run an external battery pack - to get 8(ish) hours life but I may not have other options.
Old 06-30-23, 10:12 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
All of my bikes are equipped with hub dynamos that feed into one or another USB charger, besides lights. The best of my chargers is the Lumi-Con Bike-Energy Harvester that keeps 7000mAh battery charged, so keeping my phone charged in navigation is not much of an issue. The Harvester battery can be even charged from AC. However, what may work on not for different people may much depends on details in how they typically operate. If I ever need to use a battery pack, such as with a rental bike, I do not really run any cables - the pack sandwiches in-between the phone and the handlebar mount.
Old 07-01-23, 07:42 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Try buying a Garmin, Wahoo or other GPS cyclometer. Some of their models aren't real expensive and they'll last for at least 8 hours if not more.

However it might be your map constantly loading to your phone as you follow the route. And that will eat up battery. So see if the app you use for your routing has an option to download the map for the area you cycle in.
Old 07-01-23, 08:06 AM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Try buying a Garmin, Wahoo or other GPS cyclometer. Some of their models aren't real expensive and they'll last for at least 8 hours if not more.

However it might be your map constantly loading to your phone as you follow the route. And that will eat up battery. So see if the app you use for your routing has an option to download the map for the area you cycle in.
They are spare phones. Maps are downloaded, it doesn't even have a sim card and mobile data and networking are turned off.

I have 2 Garmins, a 1030 and a 530. They're awesome for logging the ride but are horrendous for navigation. I'm tired of having to stop, pull out the phone, and figure out where I'm going. Phone navigation is excellent but a big battery drain. Would a Wahoo be any different than a Garmin?
Old 07-01-23, 08:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Don't you know where you are going? You don't have to follow a course if you know the way. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've started a course on my Edge 530 since I've gotten it over 3 years ago. And that includes riding in the unfamiliar areas of Colorado when I go to visit my son.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-01-23, 08:23 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Probably just need to get you a new old phone or have the battery replaced if it's cost effective. In some of my old phones the batteries tended to discharge faster & faster. I just got a new phone not too long ago and I rarely get below 70% on the battery. But some day in the future it will probably get to where the battery runs down in a day, too.

One thing I have done in the past was to carry a portable phone charging battery pack with me. I've got a couple of them, and sometimes I'd plug it in while riding to keep the phone battery charged.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-01-23, 08:25 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
It's a little more bulk and if you have your phone bar mounted in some way you may have to assess how it will work, but there are cases with external battery packs that are available.

Personally I like my Edge 530 and while it isn't great for navigation, it works for it if I need it to. I thought the 1030 was supposed to not be easier to use.

Old 07-01-23, 09:18 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
My phone has to be turned to a really bright screen to just barely be readable on a sunny day. If you can set the screen to time out quickly, like after 30 seconds and then only wake up the screen when you need it, that may help. My phone, I tap the bottom part of the screen four times to wake up the backlighting, but I do not know if that works on all phones.

Garmin GPS units on a bright day function fine with backlighting turned off, that is one reason they have better battery life. When the sun is low in the sky, early morning or evening, I need to use backlighting to read my Garmin, but I only use as much backlight as I need.

If you do not find a good solution, perhaps you can use your phone to navigate by splitting your trip up into segments. Finding some point that is not too far away on your phone navigation route, say an hour ride, then tell your Garmin to go to that point. Then use the phone to pick another spot that is another hour away, repeat. In urban areas, may need to use closer smaller segments due to the large number of road options. Sometimes on a bike tour if I did not like the route that my Garmin came up with, I do something like I described here.
Old 07-01-23, 03:30 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Make sure all unnecessary apps are not running & turn off BT if it is on. If the phone has a removable battery, look for an "extended" battery to install.

You're not going to get near the battery life as a modern bicycle computer imo, but if you do achieve the run time that you are seeking, I'd be surprised.
Old 07-01-23, 06:37 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
I have 2 Garmins, a 1030 and a 530. They're awesome for logging the ride but are horrendous for navigation.
You're doing something wrong. I plan my routes with RWGPS and import them into Garmin Connect. Then I load them into my 1030+. It lets me know when a turn is coming up and switches to map view to show me the turn.
If you're not pre-planning routes and just entering a destination, there are several options (shortest, fastest, least amount of climbing, etc) that you can select that the unit will use when calculating your route for you.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 07-01-23, 07:22 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
My Samsung A14 with everything running including BT sensors and a navigational app plus cycling app uses up about 10% battery/hour. If I only need navigation and I'm going to be away from the power grid or a vehicle for longer I will use my Garmin and keep the phone for emergency use. There are solutions to your problem, but they may cost you an upgrade. Good luck,
Old 07-01-23, 07:25 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
I’ve done multiple centuries with iPhones running MapMyRide and I’m slow AF.
Old 07-06-23, 08:38 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Don't you know where you are going? You don't have to follow a course if you know the way. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've started a course on my Edge 530 since I've gotten it over 3 years ago. And that includes riding in the unfamiliar areas of Colorado when I go to visit my son.
This is ridiculous.
Old 07-06-23, 10:36 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
First suggestion would be to learn how to use a Garmin. As noted, plan a route and follow it (more or less). Either a 530 or 1030 can re-route you if you miss a turn.

Second suggestion would be to use a newer phone. Older phones use a lot more battery to run a GPS than newer models, and older phones have older batteries that don't hold a charge as well as newer ones.

Third suggestion is to figure how to carry a cache battery and hook it to your phone. They are reasonably light and inexpensive, and you can get one that'll recharge your phone 2-3 time fairly easily.

If none of those seem reasonable, have you considered paper maps and a watch?
Old 07-06-23, 10:45 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
When using it for navigation I'm lucky to get 3 hours. I've tried a few different phones, dimming the screen, and the map is downloaded, the phone is a secondary and doesn't have data connection so no battery lost there. Seems using GPS absolutely kills the battery, wondering if theres's anything I can try? I'd prefer not to run a cable from a remote battery pack - nor have to run an external battery pack - to get 8(ish) hours life but I may not have other options.
Which OS?
Which app do you view the D/L maps on?
Are we talking about Turn-by-Turn navigation?