Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for v-brakes please!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 12:04 AM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My daily commuter came with Shimano Acera M422 v-brakes as standard, and after 2000 miles of (almost) daily commuting, the brake bushings have developed quite a lot of play and the M422's will need to be changed.

Keeping in the same cost range of the above brakes, which brand/type would you recommend for my commuting needs?
Old 10-19-12, 01:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
US made , so, cost more , but Paul's V brake has their own bushing sleeve,
so the fit is more precise, to resolve the slop issue.
and the design includes O rings, to keep the grease cleaner.. and so rotating easily..

+ the return spring force is individually adjustable..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-19-12 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10-19-12, 01:35 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've always had good luck with Avid V-Brakes. I rode them for several years of daily commuting in all sorts of weather, and never had a problem with them. They are available all across Europe, and should be in the same price range as the Shimano you are replacing.
Old 10-19-12, 02:28 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I prefer Avid linear pull brakes to Shimano's V brake based on my experience with both as a rider and wrench... Avid brakes just seem to keep on going although the braking performance between comparable models in their respective lines is very similar.

The Avid SD7 is one of the best regarded linear pull brakes on the market... they are priced $50.00 - $75.00 depending on where you are buying while you can get XT brakes for around $50.00 and the XT is a marked upgrade from the Acera.

Cane Creek direct curve brakes are a newer noodle-less design with a very light action and we use the 5 series on tandems... they offer some massive stopping power and run $80.00 for the 3 series and $150.00 for the 5 series (set).

If you are riding every day the Avid SD5 or SD7 would be good choices...

Paul's Motolites are the bomb... but they are pricier than any other linear pull brake.
Old 10-19-12, 02:37 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Shimano M590 Deore are nice brakes, and very cheap, so fit your criteria for price range, you can pick them up from about 13€ a pair if you look around.

Much as I liked Avid in use, I always found that they had corrosion issues with the fitting after any exposure to water.

As for Paul's, if the budget was unlimited, then yes, they are the ones to get, but quality comes at a price.
Old 10-19-12, 03:33 AM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Paul's v-brakes look amazing, but are way off my current budget, and although I do believe in quality over the long run they might be an overkill for daily city commuting without steep hills.

The only Avid I managed to find in the Greek market are the Digit 3's and the M590's are also out of stock at local retailers, so I'll have to check online from European outlets.
Old 10-19-12, 04:20 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Telly
Paul's v-brakes look amazing, but are way off my current budget, and although I do believe in quality over the long run they might be an overkill for daily city commuting without steep hills.

The only Avid I managed to find in the Greek market are the Digit 3's and the M590's are also out of stock at local retailers, so I'll have to check online from European outlets.
German webshops are usually the cheapest in the EU. ebay.de is good too.
Old 10-19-12, 04:25 AM
dexmax
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using V-brakes since in came out and have found Deore and LX brakes to be very good.
The XTs costs about twice as much but looks better.