Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can I shorten a 135mm skewer to 100mm?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-07, 06:21 PM
jerrymcdougal

Bikes: 86' Davidson Impulse, 83' Windsor Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I picked up some nice Dura-Ace skewers for cheap, however, there two rears.

Can I shorten one of them to use as a front? The reason I ask is they arent like normal skewers, they have a lip before the threads on the rod thats of greater diameter than the threaded section. I think this may pose a problem when I try to run the die over it to cut more threads.

Heres some pics:

Could I run a die for the greater dia. over it, and then a die for the smaller dia. after the first to cut down some of the material? I think if I just use the smaller die, I will break it when I reach that lip. (in red circle).

Any thoughts, advice, or techniques you may have?

Thanks!
Old 09-30-07, 08:48 AM
dck

Bikes: '62 Peugeot UO8, '63 Schwinn Superior, ;72 Peugeot PX-10, '74 Motobecane LeChampion, '74 Peugeot UO18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An easier way is to disassemble it and replace only the skewer. Most of these are interchangeable. Doesn't even need to be Dura-Ace
Old 09-30-07, 09:01 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Dura Ace rear skewers should be intended for 130 mm dropouts, not 135.

If the nut won't already turn down enough to fit the front dropouts I wouldn't do anything to extend the threading given the skewer's configuration. A broken front wheel skewer is a real bad thing to have happen and I'd be concerned that threading over the diameter difference would create a weak spot. Get the proper length skewer and sell the extra.
Old 09-30-07, 09:08 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Please don't do what you are planning to do. If you're really short of cash i'll send you a front QR, gratis.
Likes For operator:
Old 09-30-07, 12:19 PM
jerrymcdougal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, its not that Im super short on cash, and I do have an extra generic brand front QR. I just want a DA front skewer. The generic one is so crappy its just about as good as nothing.

If anyone wants to trade a rear DA for a front DA I would be more than happy to. They are NOS, so in great condition.

Oh, and Oops, they are 130mm don't know what I was thinking.

Thanks for the help/advice guys!

-Jerry
Old 09-30-07, 01:05 PM
operator
cab horn

A QR is a QR but I do understand the need for DA stamped on a component.
Old 09-30-07, 02:35 PM
BikingGrad80
that bike nut

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane Immortal Force 90' Trek 1400; 90' Trek 850; 06' Trek 520; 01 Iron Horse Victory

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Absolutely, If you show up for a race or group ride with a skewer that says tiagra or forte you would be a laughing stock . Might as well have shown up on a GMC Denali.

Last edited by BikingGrad80; 09-30-07 at 02:47 PM.
Likes For BikingGrad80:
Old 09-30-07, 04:20 PM
jerrymcdougal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, its not a NEED. The one thats on there now works ok, but its part plastic and made really crappily. The only thing it says anywhere is "open" and "close". So Tiagra or Forte would even be a step up from this junk.

Plus, I'm trying to build this bike up with mostly vintage DA parts. Thats the main reason. Its an 86' Davidson Impulse. I think it deserves a DA skewer. No?

Has anyone ever shortened a skewer successfully?

-Jerry
Old 09-30-07, 04:31 PM
operator
cab horn

I wasn't actually being sarcastic for once
Old 09-30-07, 05:32 PM
jerrymcdougal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, I sensed that. No worries. I was just explaining I have a reason to be a bit vain about wanting the DA stuff. So it all matches. haha.
Old 09-30-07, 05:53 PM
BikingGrad80
that bike nut

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane Immortal Force 90' Trek 1400; 90' Trek 850; 06' Trek 520; 01 Iron Horse Victory

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry for mocking your skewer vanity. Some skewers you can get the tab off by unscrewing a nut, but from the photo doesn't look like this one is one of them. Besides I wouldn't recommend messing with a skewer anyways, just too vital a part for what it cost. My best suggestion is either post a craigslist saying you want to trade or buy a new DA front and ebay the rear.
Likes For BikingGrad80:
Old 09-30-07, 05:58 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

I've shortened 135 mm skewers to 130 and 130 to 126 but I didn't have to extend the threads as there were enough to begin with. All I did was screw the nut on far enough and cut off the protruding part of the threaded rod for safety.
Old 09-30-07, 06:07 PM
DDYTDY

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think skewer threads are rolled (formed) and not cut. Thread rolling is similar to knurling. Forming the metal
makes a much stronger thread then cutting.
Likes For DDYTDY:
Old 09-30-07, 06:13 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by DDYTDY
I think skewer threads are rolled (formed) and not cut. Thread rolling is similar to knurling. Forming the metal
+1. Don't cut it.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 09-30-07, 06:55 PM
jerrymcdougal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
+1. Don't cut it.
Allright, you got me. I wont cut it. Does anyone have an extra front? (Ill post it in the for trade as well)
Old 09-30-07, 07:03 PM
vpiuva

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does this mean if I start a thread about needing a front flat lever Campy Record skewer one will appear?
Old 09-30-07, 07:06 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by vpiuva
Does this mean if I start a thread about needing a front flat lever Campy Record skewer one will appear?
Yes, but not necessarily at your place.
Old 09-30-07, 09:04 PM
jerrymcdougal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, a little creepy! I just (yesterday) traded some flat lever and curved lever Record skewers to a friend!
Old 10-01-07, 07:31 AM
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a front and rear. You want them?
Old 10-01-07, 10:33 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jerrymcdougal
Has anyone ever shortened a skewer successfully?
-Jerry
1st off, I'm not recommending shortening any skewers. A failure could be costly or even fatal.

But, to answer your question, I have done it several times. The 1st couple I cut a section out of the middle and welded the shaft back together. I over filled the weld and blacksmithed it down to the proper diameter with heat, hammer and an anvil. Best done only if you are very confident in your welds.

Now I have a lathe, and turn a section down slightly to the proper diameter and cut new threads with a die. DDYTDY is right about rolled threads being stronger, but I've never had a problem.

The reason I have an excess of rear skewers is that I sometimes tap out rear axles to 6mm and just use a couple of socket head bolts and thick aluminum washers. Saves a useful amount of weight.

A front QR doesn't have to be at tight as a rear, yet they have the same dimensions. So, if strength is compromised slightly I figure I'm still OK. The only QR shaft failures I've ever seen have been the hole at the other end ovalizing from being overtightened.
Old 05-11-20, 11:05 PM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by MnHPVA Guy
The 1st couple I cut a section out of the middle and welded the shaft back together. I over filled the weld and blacksmithed it down to the proper diameter with heat, hammer and an anvil. Best done only if you are very confident in your welds.
Bringing back this dead thread, undead undead undead. I'd like to lengthen a 135mm bolt-on skewer to accommodate having two chain tensioners on the two rear-facing dropouts. Right now I have one chain tensioner on the drive side and still have had to reposition the wheel periodically. It's annoying. I had the thought to GTAW two skewers together and then hit the overfill a bunch of times with a hammer but I'm definitely nervous about staking my life on the result, especially on a rear wheel that has to take some drops and occasional jumps.

If I were to weld two skewers together, it seems like the best cut would be right in the middle of the skewer so the weld penetrates nicely and the area is easy to hit with a hammer. But I'm also wondering if there's just a better way to do this. I'd be certainly happy to pay someone to roll threads on an extra long bolt-on skewer for me, but I haven't been to find anyone to do that so far. And yeah, I'm aware that the risk:benefit is high but it doesn't bother me if that's pointed out to me because I still clearly need it.
Old 05-12-20, 12:14 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by ericoseveins
Bringing back this dead thread, undead undead undead. I'd like to lengthen a 135mm bolt-on skewer to accommodate having two chain tensioners on the two rear-facing dropouts. Right now I have one chain tensioner on the drive side and still have had to reposition the wheel periodically. It's annoying. I had the thought to GTAW two skewers together and then hit the overfill a bunch of times with a hammer but I'm definitely nervous about staking my life on the result, especially on a rear wheel that has to take some drops and occasional jumps.

If I were to weld two skewers together, it seems like the best cut would be right in the middle of the skewer so the weld penetrates nicely and the area is easy to hit with a hammer. But I'm also wondering if there's just a better way to do this. I'd be certainly happy to pay someone to roll threads on an extra long bolt-on skewer for me, but I haven't been to find anyone to do that so far. And yeah, I'm aware that the risk:benefit is high but it doesn't bother me if that's pointed out to me because I still clearly need it.
I would get a tandem skewer and remove the excess. I don’t trust my welding skills to keeping my wheel on. Drop outs are one thing, track ends would result in instant wheel ejection if the skewer fails, where a standard dropout the wheel would stay on if JRA and the skewer failed.
Old 05-12-20, 05:46 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by DDYTDY
Yes they are. I had considered threading a rear to fit 120 but only the cheapest ebay skewers are cut threads; all the good ones are rolled.
Old 05-12-20, 10:41 AM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
I would get a tandem skewer and remove the excess. I don’t trust my welding skills to keeping my wheel on. Drop outs are one thing, track ends would result in instant wheel ejection if the skewer fails, where a standard dropout the wheel would stay on if JRA and the skewer failed.
This wheel probably wouldn't eject because the hub is a Rohloff and there's a Monkeybone in the way, but I appreciate your point that it's just a dumb safety risk. Thanks for the tip on the tandem skewer. For wheel security I'd really like to use a bolt-on skewer and for whatever reason nobody seems to make bolt-on tandem length skewers. But thanks to your suggestion, I found the Surly trailer hitch skewer - looks like it might be long enough for the hub plus two chain tensioners
Old 05-12-20, 10:57 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by ericoseveins
This wheel probably wouldn't eject because the hub is a Rohloff and there's a Monkeybone in the way, but I appreciate your point that it's just a dumb safety risk. Thanks for the tip on the tandem skewer. For wheel security I'd really like to use a bolt-on skewer and for whatever reason nobody seems to make bolt-on tandem length skewers. But thanks to your suggestion, I found the Surly trailer hitch skewer - looks like it might be long enough for the hub plus two chain tensioners
Paul components also makes skewers in 140mm and 170mm lengths. Internal Cam, so they should hold well unless you are a beast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.