Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

criterium geometry?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

criterium geometry?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 08:56 AM
NoReg
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reminds me of how alloy spars collapse at dock. The spars rock back and forth with negligible but constant low load, and then one day they just collapse. The thing I read on that said one had to consider light and heavy loads intermitently. And apparently that is a comon testing proceedure, though above my pay grade.
Old 08-27-08, 11:34 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
It's not technically "fatigue" in the metallurgical sense since you never ever really stress a frame close enough to its yield-strength to do work-hardening anyway. I suspect what happens is that the tubing themselves are fine, but you end up with lugs and brass that ends up with microscopic cracks. I've cut apart old steel frames and have found a lot of corrosion in the lugged joint itself where there once was full-contact with brass.

So yeah, old steel frames do get softer from A LOT of empirical evidence. However, HOW that softness develops is arguable and certainly is not metal "fatigue". "Frame fatigue" is a more accurate way to describe it perhaps.
Ok, Danno, this begins to sound like the failure of solder joints after extensive thermal shock cycling. The beryllium copper leads are ductile enough that they will not be stressed, but the solder joint itself can easily be undergoing plastic stress cycles, fatiguing, and cracking after only 25 cycles, if the design is very badly wrong. The circuit has not failed, nor has the part or the wiring board, but the joining was not strong.

Road Fan
Old 09-01-08, 02:20 AM
Timmi

Bikes: Turconi, made by Vanni Losa, and a roster of ever-changing other bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Anybody own a vintage Cambio Rino? By any chance one imported from Italy BEFORE Joe Gardin started making them in Toronto and messing them all up?
Old 11-22-21, 01:23 AM
Timmi

Bikes: Turconi, made by Vanni Losa, and a roster of ever-changing other bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
why hasn't the Golden Gate Bridge fallen down or gone noodly yet? Its materials are really really similar to those in your Vicini-built frame and it's much older. Road Fan
oh boy oh boy, if you think that the golden gate bridge uses the same kind of steel as high-end bicycle tubing,
you've got a long and steep learning curve ahead - the slope of which is accentuated by your stance.
Old 11-22-21, 02:36 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmi
whatever.

I think there is a discussion forum regarding metallurgy on the internet somewhere... I'm sure...

my post was NOT for that audience... I know where I am, and I don't need a GPS for that!
Yes but facts are facts. They don't care if you call them "metallurgy" or not. They're still true. Your post was good advice but a legitimate quibble was raised: steel frames don't go soft in use.
Likes For guy153:
Old 11-22-21, 07:39 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I love the return of zombie threads!
Old 11-22-21, 07:41 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Half the people that were arguing in this thread are not here to defend themselves and the other half have blissfully forgotten about it in the last 13 years. So I'm closing it.

Materials wars are so 2008.
Likes For unterhausen: