Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Technical questions for the retro grouches on here

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Technical questions for the retro grouches on here

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-24, 06:10 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
the references to early steel bike conversion failures were made in support of the idea that disc brakes require stronger forks....which some people don't seem to accept
Ummm ... yah, not so.

People understand quite clearly that disc forks need to be stronger than rim-brake forks. The unsupported claim being made repeatedly is that because of this, disc forks are too heavy and have no "feel," no "liveliness," and have adverse effects on handling.

You went to a guy who builds steel bikes who knew you wanted a steel bike and he told you that if he built you a steel bike with a disc fork it wouldn't have the same feel as a steel rim-brake fork, which he knew was what you wanted. And all that is fine. And none of that is about anything but your personal preferences.

If my all-steel Raleigh needed a new fork, I would happily go with carbon and not worry about the "feel." You might be different, and that is fine. But let's not perpetuate this nonsense that disc-brake bikes have no "feel" or "cannot handle" or any of that.

"Ride what you like" is not synonymous with "Crap on what you don't like" or even "Explain to others why what you like is somehow 'better'," IMO.

Glad you have a bike you like.

Most of my bikes have rim brakes. Great bikes which serve my needs. So what?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-10-24, 06:33 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
I think people who have a problem with what @squirtdad reported would probably make better use of their time by taking the debate to the guy who actually made the statement in question--Dave Kirk.

But nah, much easier and more forum-like to just kill the messenger.

Last edited by smd4; 04-10-24 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-10-24, 07:11 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by smd4
I think people who have a problem with what @squirtdad reported would probably make better use of their time by taking the debate to the guy who actually made the statement in question--Dave Kirk.

But nah, much easier and more forum-like to just kill the messenger.
So sorry that once again, you either failed to read or failed to comprehend the content of a post ... and chose to find fault with it anyway.

Par for this particular course.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-10-24, 07:13 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Maelochs
So sorry that once again, you either failed to read or failed to comprehend the content of a post ... and chose to find fault with it anyway.

Par for this particular course.
Oh, I comprehend just fine. Again, if you dispute the claim @squirtdad made that he relates that his custom builder told him, take it up with the custom builder.

But you won't. Much easier to pick on a Forum member from the confines of your basement than going to the source. Surprised you don't make a legal "hearsay" objection.

Last edited by smd4; 04-10-24 at 07:18 AM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-10-24, 07:45 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4428 Post(s)
Liked 4,879 Times in 3,020 Posts
Dave Kirk’s own personal race bikes appear to feature disc brakes, so I guess fork design wasn’t a major compromise for handling. I think that was all anyone was questioning above.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-10-24, 09:59 AM
JeffAP60

Bikes: Trek DS1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I have been away from cycling for almost 2 decades, my new Trek has disc's, and I love them, I find they are an improvement in every way
(and I like retro things LOL)

Jeff
Old 04-10-24, 10:17 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 5,664 Times in 2,929 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffAP60
I have been away from cycling for almost 2 decades, my new Trek has disc's, and I love them, I find they are an improvement in every way
(and I like retro things LOL)

Jeff
Thank you Jeff for your analysis, even from a retro-perspective. I couldn’t agree more.

Old 04-10-24, 12:01 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,833 Times in 1,545 Posts
Ummm ... yah, not so.

People understand quite clearly that disc forks need to be stronger than rim-brake forks. The unsupported claim being made repeatedly is that because of this, disc forks are too heavy and have no "feel," no "liveliness," and have adverse effects on handling.

You went to a guy who builds steel bikes who knew you wanted a steel bike and he told you that if he built you a steel bike with a disc fork it wouldn't have the same feel as a steel rim-brake fork, which he knew was what you wanted. And all that is fine. And none of that is about anything but your personal preferences.

If my all-steel Raleigh needed a new fork, I would happily go with carbon and not worry about the "feel." You might be different, and that is fine. But let's not perpetuate this nonsense that disc-brake bikes have no "feel" or "cannot handle" or any of that.

"Ride what you like" is not synonymous with "Crap on what you don't like" or even "Explain to others why what you like is somehow 'better'," IMO.

Glad you have a bike you like.

Most of my bikes have rim brakes. Great bikes which serve my needs. So what?
hmmmm where to start

"People understand quite clearly that disc forks need to be stronger than rim-brake forks". Not everyone seems to gets this, but we can leave it as stipulated

"The unsupported claim being made repeatedly is that because of this, disc forks are too heavy and have no "feel," no "liveliness," and have adverse effects on handling"
Not at all the points I made. Never did I state all disc forks are too heavy with no feeling, liveliness, and adverse handling. What I stated was that per the builder I was working with, that a rim brake fork will have better feel, liveliness and handling as compared to the forks he builds for disc brakes in steel. again as noted I did not record his exact words, so handling could have been the least impacted of these...I was looking at the overall

"You went to a guy who builds steel bikes who knew you wanted a steel bike and he told you that if he built you a steel bike with a disc fork it wouldn't have the same feel as a steel rim-brake fork, which he knew was what you wanted. And all that is fine. And none of that is about anything but your personal preferences"
complete BS. How in the world do you know what I was thinking? I don't recall you being there for the conversation. I had a detailed conversation with the builder on all details. As this was a once in a life time build I explored all options which we looked at pros and cons/tradeoffs based on my vision for the bike. example my preference was for lugged construction, one trade off was maxing tires at 32....could have gone to 35 easily with filet construction. I did not go in thinking rim brakes...this was probably the area I was most flexible on, I had 2 discussion with the builder one in person after a Cino and the other via phone. He was happy to build either, but wanted best fit for me and my riding......which was rim brakes with the matching fork

Again never said that once.

Agree 100%, but never once did i do either of these in all the posts i have made on this subject , I said there is a trade off due to fork strength needs, I noted that maybe carbon is better able to engineers this than steel. I never once said rim breaks are better than disc. but your post sure feels to me like an overall general crap on post, especially with all the incorrect details and wild assumptions

Old 04-10-24, 12:17 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Dave Kirk’s own personal race bikes appear to feature disc brakes, so I guess fork design wasn’t a major compromise for handling. I think that was all anyone was questioning above.
LOL. no where did I ever say major. consistently noted better....how much better is hard to say..... I don't think Dave would let anything bad come out of his shop, he is very serious that way.

Based on Dave's posts and site

his current personal bike is Montana Road bike version of the Onesto Fillet frameset. The main aims with the bike are to have it be simple, light, efficient and fun. So Sram AXS 1X, Velo Orange rim brakes, Red Shift Stem, Cane Creek post, Rene Herse tires and my new Hunt 36 Wide Aero wheels. It is beautiful..... take a look

before that he was riding
he is riding a bike he built in 2017 with dura ace 9100 and rim brakes. (per his site)

Old 04-10-24, 12:37 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
Technically accurate, but I've never thought of a Buell as flickable.......
Ever ride one? And it is relative. It is relative to what it would be without the lighter rims. It also gave good braking with good heat dissipation, preventing brake fade.
Old 04-10-24, 12:43 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Ever ride one? And it is relative. It is relative to what it would be without the lighter rims. It also gave good braking with good heat dissipation, preventing brake fade.
Never ridden one, but I raced against one @ Sonoma Raceway.
Old 04-10-24, 01:08 PM
phughes

Never ridden one, but I raced against one @ Sonoma Raceway.
So you have no idea how they feel to ride. And once again, it is about how it would feel with standard disc brakes with a heavier rim, compared to the rim mounted brake rotor with a lighter rim.
Old 04-10-24, 01:34 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by squirtdad
LOL. no where did I ever say major. consistently noted better....how much better is hard to say..... I don't think Dave would let anything bad come out of his shop, he is very serious that way.

Based on Dave's posts and site

his current personal bike is Montana Road bike version of the Onesto Fillet frameset. The main aims with the bike are to have it be simple, light, efficient and fun. So Sram AXS 1X, Velo Orange rim brakes, Red Shift Stem, Cane Creek post, Rene Herse tires and my new Hunt 36 Wide Aero wheels. It is beautiful..... take a look https://www.instagram.com/p/CuiAsokS9OO/?img_index=1

before that he was riding
he is riding a bike he built in 2017 with dura ace 9100 and rim brakes. (per his site)
Sorry, I didn’t really mean that literally. I meant that the difference must be pretty minor, whatever that difference is. I expect it is very subjective as most handling traits are.

Dave Kirk seems like he knows what he’s doing with steel and puts a lot of thought into his bikes.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-10-24, 02:38 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

So you have no idea how they feel to ride. And once again, it is about how it would feel with standard disc brakes with a heavier rim, compared to the rim mounted brake rotor with a lighter rim.
Yep, you're right. After having ridden myriads of bikes on the dirt and street (weighing between 175# to 600+#) over 60 years, I have absolutely NO idea how a large bike like a Buell would handle compared to any other smaller, lighter bike. My bad. Please accept my apologies.
Old 04-10-24, 02:48 PM
phughes

Yep, you're right. After having ridden myriads of bikes on the dirt and street (weighing between 175# to 600+#) over 60 years, I have absolutely NO idea how a large bike like a Buell would handle compared to any other smaller, lighter bike. My bad. Please accept my apologies.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. The comparison is between the Buel with heavier wheels and the same Buel with lighter rims as allowed by using the rim mounted disc.

As for flick able bigbikes in general, of the most flickable I have owned was an old ZX1000R which stock was a pig. I had Performance Machine Chicane rims on it which made it very light feeling and flickable. I replaced it with an RC51, which wasn't really flickable, but was extremely solid and stable in corners.

As for bikes I've ridden, I used to help run a motorcycle dealership so I had my pick, and truly love small, lightweight bikes like the Honda RS125 and RS250. I've ridden pretty much everything. One of my favorites to ride though was a full race prepped CBR900 which had the most supple suspension I have ridden. Truly fun to ride and easy to power out of corners spinning the rear tire on corner exits bringing the front up.

I'm a bit more sedate now generally speaking, but I still enjoy the twisty roads here in SW Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Basically all I use are motorcycles all year long, even in snow. My car is only used to go to the airport or other business trips. Everything else is on a bike.
Likes For phughes:
Old 04-10-24, 03:10 PM
PromptCritical 

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. .
Thanks for the various insults. I'm done with this conversation as I generally refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Old 04-10-24, 03:14 PM
phughes

Thanks for the various insults. I'm done with this conversation as I generally refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Simply responded to your snark. You responded all hurt that I didn't recognize your great riding abilities, which I honestly do not doubt, but you obviously did not read what I wrote, in comparing the Buel to the Buel.

Have a good day.

Last edited by phughes; 04-11-24 at 11:47 AM.
Likes For phughes:
Old 04-11-24, 04:51 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
I don't get this thread.

The issue isn't which you like more or which prefer. The problem is bike industry getting rid of choices. This has to be the only hobby where people spend thousands and happy to have choices and options eliminated and happy to let bike industry spoon feed **** for problems that don't exist. This should be a hobby instead encourage and support any bike builder to build what they want. As someone said new frames and new groupsets, no choices. Alll boring bland same looking bikes.
Likes For zymphad:
Old 04-11-24, 06:18 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by zymphad
I don't get this thread.

The issue isn't which you like more or which prefer. The problem is bike industry getting rid of choices. This has to be the only hobby where people spend thousands and happy to have choices and options eliminated and happy to let bike industry spoon feed **** for problems that don't exist. This should be a hobby instead encourage and support any bike builder to build what they want. As someone said new frames and new groupsets, no choices. Alll boring bland same looking bikes.
So are you suggesting that there are less choices of bikes and components today than at any point in the past? That’s not what I’ve seen in the last 50 years. If I want to buy a bike today there are far more choices both in mainstream and niche markets.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-12-24, 05:10 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by zymphad
. This has to be the only hobby where people spend thousands and happy to have choices and options eliminated and happy to let bike industry spoon feed **** for problems that don't exist.
Try buying an affordable small sports car with a manual transmission.
Old 04-12-24, 05:18 AM
smd4

My son wants a 370z. They seem plentiful and affordable.

Oh! You mean something new? Yeah. Just like bikes, if you want cool stuff you have to buy old stuff.
Old 04-12-24, 05:27 AM
PeteHski

Yeah I was looking at the Ford website and was disappointed that they have deleted the Model T. They just don’t have any choice these days.
Old 04-12-24, 09:16 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by petehski
yeah i was looking at the ford website and was disappointed that they have deleted the model t. They just don’t have any choice these days.
ikr?
Old 04-12-24, 10:55 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Miata?
Old 04-12-24, 11:15 AM
squirtdad

or any car with a manual for that matter or being able to lock with a small key that you can take surfing or kayaking. Keeping my 2014 A4 6 speed as long as i can for those features

Likes For squirtdad:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.