Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why I will never buy a TREK.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-24, 05:23 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

Likes For bruce19:
Old 04-11-24, 06:12 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,189 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19

Interesting to hold a grudge that doesn’t have anything to do with you.
Old 04-11-24, 06:32 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3154 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
Yeah, the way that went down really stained Trek in my eyes, too. I’m also in the “never Trek” camp. In all honesty, Trek was never on my Lust List, not even back in the ‘80s, so I never bought new, but admit to having owned a 970 second-hand in ‘91 or so, and I did recently rebuild an old, found, touring model for my 11 year old son,
Old 04-11-24, 06:40 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,610 Times in 3,788 Posts
I've had three vintage steel Treks including my great 1985 770. I currently have a Checkpoint gravel bike. I sleep well at night.

YMMV

Old 04-11-24, 06:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18431 Post(s)
Liked 15,586 Times in 7,340 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I've had three vintage steel Treks including my great 1985 770. I currently have a Checkpoint gravel bike. I sleep well at night.

YMMV
My 660 with Campy Nuovo drivetrain and Modolo brakes with aero levers from the 80s made me a serious rider.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-11-24, 06:56 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I bet the bottom falls out of Trek stock now.

Old 04-11-24, 07:02 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 523 Posts
O.p., this isn't about TREK at all, is it. Nope. It's yet another thinly disguised L.A. deserves to die, ragepost. Just saying, when VW deliberately set out to avoid emissions detection for 20 years (!),YOU were harmed. Directly. Are you as angry towards VW? If so, let's hear it. In the appropriate forum, of course.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 04-11-24, 07:07 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 1,660 Times in 784 Posts
Yeah, and I'll never eat a Subway sandwich.

Except the sweet chicken teriyaki. I like those. And the meatball. And maybe the steak and cheese.
Oh heck, I'll eat any of them. Just because their former spokesperson is in prison doesn't make the product bad.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-11-24, 07:33 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Are you as angry towards VW? If so, let's hear it..
If the whole Nazi origin thing didn't do it, a little extra smoke from the tail pipe won't either. Wife wants one of the new buses, I'm shopping bead curtains and water pipes...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 04-11-24, 07:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked 4,010 Times in 2,677 Posts
I dislike Trek for many reasons none of which have anything to do with L.A. or other team members. That is a silly reason to hate a company because someone who used their product did something semi-wrong. I say semi-wrong because most of the peloton at that point was involved with it so it was wrong but in that context it wasn't really frowned upon. L.A. might have been a jerk about it but that wasn't Trek that did the doping or the lying and even still that was a while ago.

If you are going to take strong moral stances then I would hope you are also boycotting other companies who actually themselves do serious wrong worth boycotting over. Trek may have their issues but boycotting based on some guy a while back that is old news and so snooze worthy these days is just beyond silly.

If you were saying I don't want to buy a Trek because they buy out and destroy local shops or their bikes are overpriced for what you get in some models or their quality has declined since they moved production out of the U.S. or you dislike the police bike thing (which is not unique to Trek) or maybe you don't like that the 520 swapped a lovely steel fork to a aluminum fork or maybe you are mad they got rid of the carbon belt carbon frame single speed/fixed gear bike or maybe it is their logo is so huge and they have increased tube sizes to accommodate a larger logo or something similarly kinda silly along those lines.

In terms of L.A. love him, hate him but in the end he is got a lot of people talking about cycling and got them interested and talking about him years and years later. If you truly dislike him, why still talk about him? He is not really relevant anymore but people like you and others keep him alive in that sense (obviously he is alive but people still talk about his old career)
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-11-24, 08:04 PM
kommisar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
I support your boycott. If you find any 990 zx in large or extra large I will gladly take them off your hands.
Likes For kommisar:
Old 04-11-24, 10:25 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I dislike Trek for many reasons none of which have anything to do with L.A. or other team members. That is a silly reason to hate a company because someone who used their product did something semi-wrong.
I don’t dislike Trek because Lance “used their product” (it cracks me up how you apologists craft mythologies by hiding the truth!), I dislike Trek because of how they did Lemond real dirty.
Old 04-11-24, 10:26 PM
marko_1111

Bikes: several. all favorites.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
yeah ok so I own some Treks and even a Big Sur from 1997, but that doesn't really expose my bias. still, full disclosure

I remember how things were and I had a little insight being involved in a sportswear business breaking into cycling shortly after we won the bid for track and field at the Olympics that the US boycotted back in the day. had everyone out to the offices. heck we outfitted the 7-eleven team. again, had everyone out to the offices. at one point we were looking to buy into LeMonds brand when no one thought he'd recover from being shot. we didn't and he did more than recover

but you know LeMond was absolutely amazing and his rivalry with teammates and competing on the last day of the tour got my attention and added to my resolve with the sport, but I also very much enjoyed watching LA slay the field year after year

bottom line is I don't hate brands ridden by anybody who may or may not have tested positive over a substance anyone else on the street can buy pretty much over the counter. I don't hate the riders either. and this tired story ain't just about bullies and tattle-tales. I don't particularly care for how either of those guys behaved back then, but I'd prefer not to hold on to it

I will say I don't remember Greg being quite as much a passive victim as that video implies

I also own Apple devices and never felt harmed by MicroSoft
Old 04-11-24, 11:21 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
If a person boycotted every corp that cheated, their house would be empty
And their garage
Old 04-12-24, 04:12 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 825 Times in 415 Posts
I remember meeting Lemond back in the day, he had just won his second Tour, and he was a great guy. He was honest, open, and eager. He wasn’t “holier than thou” despite his fame, and his “Sports Illustrated” cover, he was an all around great guy. You could talk to him without being pushed away by his security detail, or being forced to make an appointment with his PR people.

In the late 90’s I was racing in Europe (though not especially well), and Lance was the new God of the sport. I and everyone else were huge fans, though there were plenty of rumors from the start. I was in France during the Festina Affair in 1998, when Lance was still recovering from cancer, so I wasn’t naive about what was going on in the sport, but even so, Lance was “The Man.”

Lance was a monster, and I gave him full credit, he wasn’t doing anything that anyone else at the top of the sport wasn’t doing as well. I followed his progress, and was a big fan.

However, I lean toward the OP’s opinion of Trek. The reason is that Trek were not naive, if they didn’t know what was going on the sport, they had no business being involved in it. As a business owner, I tend to see things from the side of companies and corporations, and am comfortable with the fierce competition and dog-eat-dog mentality, it give us the best toys for the best price.

But, there are lines which should not be crossed. Trek did not treat Lemond as they should have. Greg was an honest man, and he said as much as he thought he could get away with honestly, otherwise Lance would have sued him (as he sued others). But Trek took the side of the liar, their Golden Goose. Trek could have left Lemond alone, but Lance wanted him hurt, so Trek hurt him. Trek would have thrown Greg off a cliff if Lance had threatened to make a deal with Cannondale.

Others may see things differently, but the good thing about the free market system (such as it is), we are free to look at a company and its products, and decide for ourselves. My all-time favorite bike was my old Trek 660, but the Trek of those days was not the same company which was dealing with Lance.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-12-24, 04:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18431 Post(s)
Liked 15,586 Times in 7,340 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Yeah, and I'll never eat a Subway sandwich.

Except the sweet chicken teriyaki. I like those. And the meatball. And maybe the steak and cheese.
Oh heck, I'll eat any of them. Just because their former spokesperson is in prison doesn't make the product bad.
You’re right. It’s the product itself that is bad. Being from the land where the “sub” (It’s properly called a “hoagie”.) was invented, I consider SubWay an abomination.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-12-24, 05:01 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 405 Posts
Three Trek's in my garage right now, Emonda, Lexa and my sons MTB.

I line them all up, point them right at my Lemond. I think they fight each other when I turn the lights off.

Edit:

This whole butthurt thing about Greg losing his business... Greg let his personal ethics get in the way of business. Business is business - its a ruthless world based on money and profits first. Few businesses can survive based on personal feelings or ethics. Somewhere, somehow, someone is pissed off, butthurt, has their ethics violated by a business - in any sector of the business world.

Greg - great guy? Probably. And I say probably because we only really know his public persona. A great business man? Nope.

Anyone with half a brain the business world would flat out know that calling out your parent company and its biggest profit center won't go well - ever.

Last edited by Jughed; 04-12-24 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-12-24, 05:19 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4428 Post(s)
Liked 4,880 Times in 3,021 Posts
Bike brands tend to conjure up an image and for me the Trek image is brash and arrogant. Lance fitted in very well there 😂

Having said that I would still buy a Trek bike, but they have never been my top choice.
Old 04-12-24, 05:27 AM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
The bikes just don't pull me in. If I am going the big corpo bike route I would ride something else.
The pre 2k treks are neat, and I like bontrager components and matrix rims.
Old 04-12-24, 05:35 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4428 Post(s)
Liked 4,880 Times in 3,021 Posts
Originally Posted by slow rollin
The bikes just don't pull me in. If I am going the big corpo bike route I would ride something else.
The pre 2k treks are neat, and I like bontrager components and matrix rims.
I like Bontrager wheels, but I just can’t imagine them fitted to anything other than a Trek. It shouldn’t matter but it kind of does to me.
Old 04-12-24, 06:47 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 275 Posts
I often pinch non-Trek bikes that come with Bontrager saddles, tyres, bar.

I pull those all off and save them for Trek bikes I pinch that are missing those.

Helps in the reselling when a Trek bike is all Bontrager.

I love Trek but not as much as fishing buyers to resell to that love Trek even more.
Attached Images
Likes For soyabean:
Old 04-12-24, 07:02 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I also disliked Trek for buying up MTB pioneers Keith Bontrager and Gary Fisher, acquisitions that really signaled the end of an era in the sport. That happens, though, and I doubt Keith or Gary resent it either. Yet, someone has to be the “evil corporation,” the Lord Business protagonist in the economic story of development, and Trek were it. Following that, Trek were at the epicenter of the death of the indie bike shop, as they first required dealers to carry their accessories if they wanted their bikes, then came the concept stores, then the company stores, and now we’re in the final stage where Trek and Specialized are running around buying up the last local, multi-store dealers. In the ‘80s and ‘90‘s, bike shops were dreamy, fascinating places where you could find an eclectic mix of small builder parts and frames, “shop’s choice” built bikes, and rare imported bits.

I miss the old days in a lot of ways, though there are some interesting things happening now, too. Regardless of how I cut it, though, Trek always seem to be doing the wrong thing. Giving credit where due, Trek have been very strong on the paint/color/graphics game in recent years, and those new Madones are pretty wicked looking pieces of kit!
Old 04-12-24, 07:10 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
People always have lists of companies they will/won't do business with for whatever reason. A person can spend their money as they choose. If you're going to boycott Trek, might as well do it to Nike also. The Swoosh makes most any other company look like an angel.
Old 04-12-24, 07:10 AM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I can't see myself ever buying a Trek either - I'm sure they're perfectly good bikes and no worse than many others - they just not exciting, and I'm not wild about their role in homogenizing the bike industry by contributing to the killing off of the small bike shop - they're the Walmart of cycling.
While not a major decider, the Armstrong connection doesn't help - I don't really care about his shenanigans anymore - he wasn't the only doper, he was just the best at it. However, he put Trek on the map and they repaid the favor by rolling over and becoming his *****. So, when LA decided that he didn't like Lemond anymore, Trek's response was "What can we do, Boss?"... and Lemond Cycles disappeared. Screw that, and, for this and many other reasons, screw Trek.

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-12-24 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Do not change the spelling of words to evade the forum censor
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 04-12-24, 07:16 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Interesting to hold a grudge that doesn’t have anything to do with you.
And, this is what's wrong with America. It didn't happen directly to me so I guess I won't hold corporate America responsible for their bad acts towards others. I'll just go along supporting them and enabling them to act badly toward my fellow citizens and humans. And when corporate America does something to damage you should we all say "Too bad. It didn't happen to me. You're on your own." ?
Likes For bruce19:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.