Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Goals and Accomplishments

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-22, 06:54 PM
Wheels4

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Cervelo and Santana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 14 Posts

Hello everyone,

My wife and I had a pretty good accomplishment today on the tandem. We were able to ride 17.4 miles(goal was 15 with her on the tandem). Doesnt sound like much, but it was a lot for us(and for my 10yr old son on his own road bike). We started riding the tandem early Jan of 2022(yes, the current month)... riding it 2-3 times a week, 4-6 miles each time. The next goal is to ride the shorter rides during the week, then 15-20 miles each weekend, moving forward. We are riding in a Cancer benefit ride in March, so I think we will be ready if we keep at it.

Background: My wife was diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast Cancer in June of 2021. She went thru Chemo, mastectomy, etc. We talked about different ways to get back into shape and cycling ended up being our final choice. So, I have been trying to get my wife into cycling slowly and not over doing it. I want to keep her thoughts positive. I tried on singles years and years ago, but made some mistakes(too much, too soon). I learned from those mistakes. Anyways, I am excited that she is enjoying something that I have been passoinate about since I was young.

So... all that being said... what goals have you set or accomplishments have you reached?
Old 01-30-22, 11:30 AM
motochick 

Bikes: '80 Medici Tourismo, '82 Merckx, '85 Peugeot PSN10, '86 Ironman, '89 Trek 520, '96 Steelman, '96 Torelli CX, '97 Friday Two'sDay, '02 CoMo Speedster, '09 Giant Reign, '10 Canfield, '13 Turner DHR, '16 Chase BMX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 51 Posts
What a great story! Congrats on not only reaching but going past your goals! I can tell you it really boosts your confidence to outdo your goal, even if just by a couple of miles. It makes me feel like I can do just about anything.

I found us a used tandem back in Nov to replace the one we had many years ago that was too small, it was uncomfortable to ride more than 25 miles. We put a new drivetrain on it and our first ride was 12/21. My first goal was 50 miles. I was sure that would take us months to complete, but we did it on our 4th ride (1/4) on the bike! Next goal was a 100k (62.14mi). I was hoping to reach this by the end of Jan. We did it on 1/19. Next goal is 75mi. I am not setting any date, it will happen when it happens. I hope to be able to do a century as I have never done one, we will see if that is feasible. I never used to set goals while bike riding, I can see the benefit in doing that now. Good luck on reaching your goals!
Likes For motochick:
Old 01-30-22, 04:26 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Wheels4, congratulations on your accomplishment and bravo to your wife!

My wife and I also started tandeming at the beginning of January, but 16 years ago. I somehow got convinced to do this https://deathride.com in 2005, and spent the first half of that year training for it, including 3 centuries, one being https://www.winecountrycentury.com. I kept thinking about how much my wife would enjoy the scenery of that ride. So instead of me redoing the death ride in 2006, we bought our first tandem and set a goal of doing the wine country century on it that May, which we did. We live in a hilly area, so my wife’s initial goal was just to be able to get up the closest short hill without running out of breath. That was when she was still in her 40s and actually in decent shape. But now she’s in her 60s and after 16 years and many thousands of miles as stoker, she breezily chats during that same climb without a thought of it being difficult.

Best wishes for setting and achieving all your goals.
Likes For reburns:
Old 01-30-22, 05:37 PM
Wheels4

Originally Posted by motochick
What a great story! Congrats on not only reaching but going past your goals! I can tell you it really boosts your confidence to outdo your goal, even if just by a couple of miles. It makes me feel like I can do just about anything.

I found us a used tandem back in Nov to replace the one we had many years ago that was too small, it was uncomfortable to ride more than 25 miles. We put a new drivetrain on it and our first ride was 12/21. My first goal was 50 miles. I was sure that would take us months to complete, but we did it on our 4th ride (1/4) on the bike! Next goal was a 100k (62.14mi). I was hoping to reach this by the end of Jan. We did it on 1/19. Next goal is 75mi. I am not setting any date, it will happen when it happens. I hope to be able to do a century as I have never done one, we will see if that is feasible. I never used to set goals while bike riding, I can see the benefit in doing that now. Good luck on reaching your goals!
Wow, congrats on reaching that mileage so quick!! good luck with the 75!!
Old 01-30-22, 05:42 PM
Wheels4

Originally Posted by reburns
Wheels4, congratulations on your accomplishment and bravo to your wife!

My wife and I also started tandeming at the beginning of January, but 16 years ago. I somehow got convinced to do this https://deathride.com in 2005, and spent the first half of that year training for it, including 3 centuries, one being https://www.winecountrycentury.com. I kept thinking about how much my wife would enjoy the scenery of that ride. So instead of me redoing the death ride in 2006, we bought our first tandem and set a goal of doing the wine country century on it that May, which we did. We live in a hilly area, so my wife’s initial goal was just to be able to get up the closest short hill without running out of breath. That was when she was still in her 40s and actually in decent shape. But now she’s in her 60s and after 16 years and many thousands of miles as stoker, she breezily chats during that same climb without a thought of it being difficult.

Best wishes for setting and achieving all your goals.
Thank you! I think the winecountry ride would be fun to do. Not too sure about the deathride though. Lol.
Old 01-30-22, 06:11 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
ya took my wife who had not ridden a bike since a young kid to get going. Her really end was a real issue. but we rode every ay and she got better fast. but she h=jsut had shoulder replacement surgery so she is off the bike for at least 2 months. she cant even ride her recumbent stationary bike yet.