Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New riding hazard (for me anyway)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-09, 08:39 PM
FredOak
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Riding home Friday something flew right into the vent in the side of my helmet and started to sting me. Got the helmet off but it was gone. I've been stung by bees and wasps but this hurt! Got home, wife helped get the stinger out.
It continued to swell despite our best efforts. By day 2 my lymph gland behind my ear was swollen like a grape as was the top of my head and started breaking out in hives...went to MD and am on rapid dose steroid and antibiotic.
All the MD could say was I was stung by something new and am highly reactive to it.
Now I wish I knew what the hell it was...sheesh like cagers aren't bad enough.
Old 08-24-09, 09:23 PM
tennisplyr3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope that you'll bee alright!

(couldn't help myself!)

In all seriousness -- that really sucks...
Old 08-24-09, 10:08 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeez, that blows. My BF got tagged by something inside his thigh, he's kinda allergic. He has this huge welt days after getting stung.
Old 08-25-09, 07:44 AM
ilmooz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is 100% bug related yet you still managed an ill reference to cagers. How'd you do that?
Old 08-25-09, 07:59 AM
Wheels4

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Cervelo and Santana

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 14 Posts
i've gotten stung by bees and wasps... but, horse flies make me swell up like you mention. not fun at all...
Old 08-25-09, 08:21 AM
Berniebikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look at Uvex helmets. They have some mesh that prevents insects from coming in the holes, at least in the front. If you are that allergic consider keeping epi pens with you....might save your life as your sensitivity can change/worsen over time
Old 08-25-09, 08:36 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is EXACTLY why I stopped wearing loose shirts when I go riding. Was riding along, minding my own business, when I felt something hit my shirt around my neck. I didn't really give it much thought until about 5 minutes later when I started being stung in the arm pit! SOB!!! Gods Cursed Bee of shtinging! Yeah, the damn thing crawled into my shirt, around to my arm pit and proceeded to make the ultimate sacrifice. I had never been stung by a bee before, but I HAD been stung by wasps without going into Anaphylactic shock, still had some tense moments until I realized that I was going to be ok. Damn bees, why does your honey taste so good? I was born forgiving them.
Old 08-25-09, 12:59 PM
FredOak
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't want to get carried away with the story but 5 minute before the insect this idiot in a minivan decided to squeeze me out of the lane and then proceeded to turn right in 30 feet ahead, like those 2 seconds were so valuable...there that was my cager justification on a bug story!
Old 08-25-09, 01:14 PM
drjava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two weeks later, my yellow jacket attack is almost healed. It was on my ankle and actually kept me off the bike quite a while. Stupid bugs.
Old 08-25-09, 01:46 PM
larue

Bikes: Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A customer of mine came in the other day and set her Rudy Project helmet down and I noticed that it also had a mesh liner and my first thought was "genius, that would keep the bees out." Perhaps you should look for one of these when you need to replace your current helmet.
Old 08-25-09, 02:19 PM
DX Rider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's just scary.

Early this year while commuting home I had a yellow jacket sting me between the shoulder blades after crawling down the neck of my shirt.
Old 08-25-09, 03:35 PM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It still could have been just a bee. I was stung by bees under the helmet just as you had described three times before I had any reaction to it. The fourth time, the whole side of my face swelled up. Couldn't open my eye, and my mouth was sore.....A shot in the butt, a six week round of steriods (which I suspect lead to a case of shingles), and a script for an epipen. Now, I don't ride or travel without the epipen. It was a pain to remember it all the time until I had to use it once.....Now, I NEVER forget it. Even though the time that I used it, the injection site for the epipen ended up being more painfull than the beesting.
Old 08-25-09, 05:21 PM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Breathegood
It still could have been just a bee. I was stung by bees under the helmet just as you had described three times before I had any reaction to it. The fourth time, the whole side of my face swelled up. Couldn't open my eye, and my mouth was sore.....A shot in the butt, a six week round of steriods (which I suspect lead to a case of shingles), and a script for an epipen. Now, I don't ride or travel without the epipen. It was a pain to remember it all the time until I had to use it once.....Now, I NEVER forget it. Even though the time that I used it, the injection site for the epipen ended up being more painfull than the beesting.
Oh yeah man, people can gain allergies to bee stings, the first one is most times a free-bee (oh the pun, the pun!)
Old 08-25-09, 05:25 PM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not as horrible, but getting a fly in your ear, trying to dig it out but still hearing it buzzing
Old 08-25-09, 07:31 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're allergic to a bee sting, are you allergic to a wasp sting (the bastards that don't leave the stinger torn off in you?)

I've been stung several times, probably 5 or more, never shown any sign of an allergy.
Old 08-25-09, 07:48 PM
Pezzle
Bad Newbie

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 4.0 [beautiful cobalt blue]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been stung over 10 times in my life... I kind of lost count. Never had anything more than a dime sized welt and some redness. :| I can't imagine how scary it must be to be so allergic.
Old 08-26-09, 06:30 AM
pubb
pedaling furiously

Bikes: 08 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WNY is awful close to here. And just last night on the news, there were reports that wasps, yellowjackets & 'bald-faced hornets' (as opposed to hairy-faced hornets?) are having a real resurgence because of the amount of warm weather & rain we've had.

Bees (bumble & honey) however are still in danger.
Old 08-26-09, 07:01 AM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonahhobbes
Not as horrible, but getting a fly in your ear, trying to dig it out but still hearing it buzzing
I had a mosquito fly in my ear once when I was a kid. Took like 30 minutes to convince my folks that there might actually be something in my ear. Finally they helped me rinse my ear out with peroxide and out floats this drowned mosquito.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 08-26-09, 10:54 AM
MikeR
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ya know, horse back riding helmets have screened vents but cycling helmets don't. I've always wondered why. I'd by one with screens.