Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stupid question thread, I'll start...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stupid question thread, I'll start...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-12, 12:48 PM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
with the anodized finish removed the cranks are weaker also.

I have a link to a guy in Austria who re-anodized his stem after polishing.

follow the thread and see how he did it.

https://nyx.at/bikeboard/Board/showth...stral-Reloaded
Old 04-29-12, 01:40 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3910 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 2,245 Posts
Question = Will tubular rims/tires make my vintage roadie ride better? What's with the gluing?

Answer = Lose nearly a pound (or more) from your vintage wheelset and you will notice a difference. Gluing = be careful, be neat, read about it first.

Didn't realize it was a Stupid question until recently - upon becoming "a tubular newb", and quickly a believer. And this improvement with closeout Vittoria Rallys. Next wheelset will get fitted with more expensive tubes. Every acceleration feels a little bit easier, handling may be a tad lighter.
Old 04-29-12, 01:57 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3910 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 2,245 Posts
Originally Posted by puchfinnland
with the anodized finish removed the cranks are weaker also.
https://nyx.at/bikeboard/Board/showth...stral-Reloaded
Stupid question = would a Shimano 600 Arabesque crankset be anodized? How much weaker without anodizing?
Old 04-29-12, 02:08 PM
jebensch

Bikes: Bob Jackson Super Tourer, '83 Trek 700, Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10 SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by whatwolf
My stupid answer :

1. Invest in a $10 digital caliper. You'll find you use it all the time. You can also try a small metric ruler but a caliper is more versatile.
+1 I dropped $13 on Amazon for mine and it has since become indispensable.

My stupid question:

Record brake levers on a french handlebar (Philippe Professionale) - I thought the 23.8 clamp size of the lever fit everything? These wouldn't tighten down enough. I had to jimmy with elec tape. Am I wrong? Is there any part of the bike the French didn't make difficult?
Old 04-29-12, 02:27 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Jesse, the French didn't make bikes difficult, they just made them French! How large is the dia. of the Philippe bar? Why didn't you use a beverage can shim? It won't compress like electrical tape.

A good reason to change 27" rims to 700C is to get the 4 mm extra clearance for mounting fenders -- that's if you don't cause brake reach problems in the process. But the main one is to get a larger selection of tires. It's funny that the bicycle industry has, over time, adopted metric sizing and threading for most items, excepting the bottom bracket. The world would be a slightly more rational place if the Swiss BB had won out too -- go Motobécane!

I think that the reason a lot of frames were fully chromed is because plating is a "dip" process, and if you're going to dip part of the frame it's hardly more work to dip the whole thing. Bianchigirll is right that a lot of the painted chrome area is not polished well enough to be exposed; however, it's a visual thing. Chrome plating on a less polished area is likely to be equally corrosion-resistant as a polished area, or nearly so. What many people don't understand about plating is that the plated substrate generally (always with a really hard metal like chrome) must be polished to the final finish level before plating; there's no going back and bringing a dull or rough chrome finish to a higher gloss level. This polishing takes a lot of work, and adds expense, so manufacturers would only polish the areas where chrome finish would be exposed. In fact, rougher areas would provide a better substrate for paint, anyway. Much of the chrome on bikes was a 3-stage process: plate steel with copper first, then nickel, then chrome -- each metal providing good adhesion to the last, and a softer base for a harder plating. Sometimes only two metals are used, but chrome is not (to my knowledge) deposited directly on steel. There isn't a lot of chrome plating in modern manufacturing because it's environmentally unfriendly, and it's a toxic process for workers; so enjoy what's left of it -- it's both classic and vintage.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 04-29-12 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-29-12, 04:33 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by puchfinnland
A real stupid question- I really wonder if there is a real answer.

how did come that the chainwheel is on the right side of the bike? and not the other side?
If the chain were on the left side, the freewheel (or single sprocket in the days before freewheels existed) would have to be left-hand threaded. Yes I know the left pedal already is, and the right fixed cup often is, but reducing the number of non-standard threaded parts when there was no compelling engineering reason to use them was probably sensible. Note that with freehubs you wouldn't need left-hand threads to put the drive train on the left side. Or was that a stupid answer owing to forgetting something?
Old 04-29-12, 04:53 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Stupid question = would a Shimano 600 Arabesque crankset be anodized? How much weaker without anodizing?
I think that they were, though I don't have one here to look at. Anodizing may harden the finish somewhat (this is claimed for rims, or was back in the day), but as far as improving the strength overall of something like a crankset, that is more massive in section than a rim; I seriously doubt that it adds anything.
Old 04-29-12, 08:43 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Along the lines of the axle nut problem, how do you keep the axle nuts tight? Or is that even a problem? Every time I remove a wheel the outside axle nuts will be slightly loose. I always snug them back up to not loose before I put the wheel back on.
You put the cone wrench on the cone and the other wrench on the axle nut, and turn them in opposite directions, toward each other, until they're nice and tight.

Old 04-29-12, 10:12 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by Grim
Spacing was due to more gears. The actual space between the gears stayed close to the same the freewheel just got wider.
I think 7 speed speed is when it went 126 then with the introduction of 8 speed it went to 130. Mountain bikes went to 135 because as the gear cluster got wider some of the hubs were more narrow to fit the gears. The more narrow the hub the weaker the wheel becomes to side loading. Thats when Shimano started a Mountain bike line of parts different from the road bike line.
4- and 5-speed freewheels used 120mm spacing. 6-speed arrived around the early '70s and used 126 mm (actually 126.5). Then around the late '70s 7-speed freewheels that used 126 mm spacing started coming out. The cogs were the same thickness, but spacing between the cogs (and between the smallest cog and the dropout) had decreased. This required a narrower chain that used a "bent" or chamfered inner link.

8-speed freewheels in 130 mm spacing, a technical disaster, followed. Problems were the extreme dishing of the rear wheel and the distance between the drive side bearing and the dropout, leading to bent axles. The cassette hub solved the axle problem by moving the drive side bearing to the outside and the left flange to the inside.
Old 04-29-12, 10:46 PM
flash2070

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
My stupid question: 1. How do you tell if your hubs are Super Record? Is it as obvious as the word "Super Record" being on the hub? My Raleigh Pro and my Tommasini are I believe all Super Record, but the hubs only say Campagnolo Record.
2. How do you put a back wheel on the bike. I always suffer extreme frustration when trying to put the back wheel on. :-) Sorry for the stupid questions. Am I allowed a few more?

Flash
Old 04-30-12, 03:24 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,301 Times in 868 Posts
Maybe the tight hub bearings were from the axle rotating while the axle nuts were tightened, that is if it doesn't have a quick-release. Oiled nut threads helps here.

The freehub axle should have been fully removed for a couple of reasons:

Firstly, the drive-side cone may have caused tightness because it rotated with the hubshell and bearings, away from it's locknut. It now would need to be secured tightly against it's locknut to prevent this happening again since you've adjusted it.

Another reason to remove the axle is to check for a cracked ball or bearing cup, both of which are likely when a bearing goes tight like that. The forces were very high!

"I thought the 23.8 clamp size of the lever fit everything? These wouldn't tighten down enough. I had to jimmy with elec tape. Am I wrong? Is there any part of the bike the French didn't make difficult?"

Your bars are smaller diameter not because they are French.
Most steel handlebars are 22.2mm diameter, as on a non-road bike.
The brake levers on road bikes with 22.2mm steel bars will have special clamp bands, usually with stamped size markings.
Tightening levers onto non-metal shims often causes frequent loosening.
Cloth tape would hold up longer than electrical tape though.

Last edited by dddd; 04-30-12 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-30-12, 04:43 AM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As good a place as any:

I couldn't find geometry nor weight nor diameter specs on CAD2 road. I'm curious if Cannondale just reverted to pre 3.0 frame, albeit with double butting or is the post 2.8 (circa 1998) frames really anything different than those classic 1984-1988 frames?

why do i keep seeing threaded headsets on new, albeit cheap, bikes? Seems to me threadless would be cheaper overall
Old 04-30-12, 05:46 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 912 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
Great idea, a thread for short sharp and stupid questions.

My question, I have an all chrome frame mostly painted now will heavy duty paint stripper damage discolor or leave marks on the chrome after stripping?
Yes, if you go too heavy and/or leave it on too long. If you use something like aircraft stripper, go easy and use multiple applications. It can leave milky or smoky marks. Same with Rustoleum's rust remover. Leave it on too long, and it discolors. Same with some degreasers on alloy rims. Been there, done all that.
Old 04-30-12, 05:48 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Originally Posted by flash2070
My stupid question: 1. How do you tell if your hubs are Super Record? Is it as obvious as the word "Super Record" being on the hub? My Raleigh Pro and my Tommasini are I believe all Super Record, but the hubs only say Campagnolo Record.
I believe that the only thing that distinguishes SR hubs from Record is the titanium axles -- I've never seen any, but expect that they'd be a gray color rather than blackened steel. Hub shells are exactly the same as Record AFAIK. Meaning, when they're on the bike, with axles completely non-visible, nobody can tell that you spent the extra money, nor that they might break under you! They weren't very popular, because of this. Unless you're on the 160# side of things, you might consider an "upgrade" to steel.
Old 04-30-12, 06:07 AM
auchencrow

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dwellman
As good a place as any:

I couldn't find geometry nor weight nor diameter specs on CAD2 road. I'm curious if Cannondale just reverted to pre 3.0 frame, albeit with double butting or is the post 2.8 (circa 1998) frames really anything different than those classic 1984-1988 frames?

why do i keep seeing threaded headsets on new, albeit cheap, bikes? Seems to me threadless would be cheaper overall
I can't answer your C'dale question but from what I see, the choice of threaded/non-threaded headset corresponds to the style of the bike: The retro/cruiser styles stick with the threaded design because a threadless headset would just look ridiculous.
Old 04-30-12, 06:12 AM
auchencrow

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Another stupid question:
I've observed that grease will often leave a brownish stain on the paint around the perimeter of the bb cups and headset race... Will synthetic grease do the same thing over time?
Old 04-30-12, 07:29 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2949 Post(s)
Liked 2,970 Times in 1,515 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Question = Will tubular rims/tires make my vintage roadie ride better? What's with the gluing?

Answer = Lose nearly a pound (or more) from your vintage wheelset and you will notice a difference. Gluing = be careful, be neat, read about it first.

Didn't realize it was a Stupid question until recently - upon becoming "a tubular newb", and quickly a believer. And this improvement with closeout Vittoria Rallys. Next wheelset will get fitted with more expensive tubes. Every acceleration feels a little bit easier, handling may be a tad lighter.
What kind of rim/hubs are you using? IMHO unless you are using a classic box section rim on a 36 or 32 hole hub you strictly getting performance benifits and not ride comfort.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-30-12, 07:44 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by WickedThump
Bent axel fits the symptoms. The cones might be side specific and you have them switched? Perhaps a bad ball you missed?
If the hub was OK before you took it apart, don't chuck it as it's an assembly issue.
ax·el   /ˈæksəl/ Show Spelled[ak-suhl] Show IPA
noun Figure Skating .
a jump performed by a skater leaping from the front outer edge of one skate into the air to make 1 1 / 2 rotations of the body and landing on the back outer edge of the other skate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-30-12, 01:58 PM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I answered my own question. . once I got to my big screen, use a proper PDF reader.

No, the frames differ a bit in geometry (slacker angles, shorter top tubes. . . higher bb, ect), but they weigh about the same (3.4-ish lbs)
Old 04-30-12, 02:31 PM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
I think that they were, though I don't have one here to look at. Anodizing may harden the finish somewhat (this is claimed for rims, or was back in the day), but as far as improving the strength overall of something like a crankset, that is more massive in section than a rim; I seriously doubt that it adds anything.

in the 80's my Torker BMX came standard with shimano 600 cranks- I vividly remember the BMX ACTION magazine test on the bike- they said that the 600's were wimpy and that they managed to bend them.
I bought the bike and wimpy me did just that - they bent, now a 13 year old kid can bend a new set of 600's, now 30 some years later strip that hard coat off and get a fully grown man on them-

please report your findings, why not try to re-anodize them? its pretty easy to do and think of all the other stuff you can anodize then!
Old 04-30-12, 03:08 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Why don't bicycles have some sort of adjustable steering stop.....so your front brake cable stop on your sidepull brake caliper does not ever slam against your down tube and sometimes end up beating it up. I'm sure someone thought of this, but I bet a few liability experts got int the way......like always
And why are those tiny crimp-on metal cable end caps $0.25 each at PBS??? Why don't they sell them in boxes of a hundred instead, for much less each?
Where did all the clear brake cable casings go that were so comon in the 80's?? Who the heck is hoarding all that stuff??! Porkchop BMX can't possibly have all the supplies of it left in the world!

Chombi
Old 04-30-12, 03:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7370 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,460 Posts
Is there a way to gracefully stop using the leg-swing-over maneuver when wearing clipless pedals? I tried it yesterday and nearly fell. I kept my left foot on the pedal and swung my right leg over the bike and onto the left side of the bike. Right before I stopped, the twist of my body in relation to the bike caused my left foot to unclip. Oops.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-30-12, 03:34 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
This might be a stupid answer because I can't vet it, but I read somewhere that it's a carryover equestrian thing: The way a right-handed person typically mounts a horse.
The typical person, right handed or not, would mount his noble steed from the left (non drive side) of the horse. Here's a good reason why from Answer.com:

"It is traditional to mount and dismount a horse from the left side the reasoning behind this goes back to when people carried swords, the swords mostly hung on the left hip they couldn't mount a right side because the sword got in the way so became traditional to mount from the left."

I'm sure you can mount a horse from the right, I've never met one but I found it interesting it does have history. And I always mount my bike from the left side, left over lessons from "Old Glue"

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 04-30-12, 06:34 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Originally Posted by ScottRyder
The typical person, right handed or not, would mount his noble steed from the left (non drive side) of the horse. Here's a good reason why from Answer.com:

"It is traditional to mount and dismount a horse from the left side the reasoning behind this goes back to when people carried swords, the swords mostly hung on the left hip they couldn't mount a right side because the sword got in the way so became traditional to mount from the left."

I'm sure you can mount a horse from the right, I've never met one but I found it interesting it does have history. And I always mount my bike from the left side, left over lessons from "Old Glue"

Scott
There's a lot of this swashbuckling stuff that runs our "handed" lives. When in Ireland I learned that in castles the spiral stairs all went in one direction (counter-clockwise going up?) so that right-handed defenders working from top down would have the advantage over righties approaching from below. And of course, why the English drive on the left -- to facilitate swordplay between righties en passant.
Old 04-30-12, 06:59 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Is there a way to gracefully stop using the leg-swing-over maneuver when wearing clipless pedals? I tried it yesterday and nearly fell. I kept my left foot on the pedal and swung my right leg over the bike and onto the left side of the bike. Right before I stopped, the twist of my body in relation to the bike caused my left foot to unclip. Oops.
Not sure I can help you there, Tom -- I have always found that an unstable dismounting manoeuvre myself, too. As a tandem captain I got in the habit of dismounting my end by putting my left foot down at the moment of stopping, then unclipping my right foot and swinging my right leg forward up over my handlebars to come to parade rest on the left side of the bike. This avoids fouling your right leg in the stoker's handlebars or, much worse, kicking her in the face with a steel cleat. I've taken to dismounting single bikes the same way for consistency. But no, I can't dismount gracefully while the bike, single or tandem, is still moving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.