Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Criterium Cannondale, any good?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-23, 06:54 PM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts

Looks like I can't resist one. Black and Gold with Dura Ace gearset, the main reason I want it. It would be my only Aluminum frame, not counting the boat bike
What does the C&V guru's think of the Canondale ?
Being Alumium maybe I could build a fancy gravel bike for the boat? Deore gearset?
Old 04-30-23, 07:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by brixxton
Looks like I can't resist one. Black and Gold with Dura Ace gearset, the main reason I want it. It would be my only Aluminum frame, not counting the boat bike
What does the C&V guru's think of the Canondale ?
Being Alumium maybe I could build a fancy gravel bike for the boat? Deore gearset?
Huh?
Why would you use a crit frame for a gravel bike? And what does a boat have to do with anything?

Cannondale bikes are all over the forum. Take that as an overall view of the brand.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-30-23, 07:58 PM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Bike Guru

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Huh?
Why would you use a crit frame for a gravel bike? And what does a boat have to do with anything?

Cannondale bikes are all over the forum. Take that as an overall view of the brand.

any way I pulled the trigger...
Thanks for the input and you really didn't help. I was looking for an opinon from the folks I normally bang heads with as I repect if somewhat grudgingly sometimes.
Why put quality gear on a huffy,?
Why turn a sprinter into a gravel?
Old 04-30-23, 08:27 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts

Thanks for the input and you really didn't help. I was looking for an opinon from the folks I normally bang heads with as I repect if somewhat grudgingly sometimes.
since it is now in your possession you can take as many hours as you need to ponder the tire clearance and brake clearance afforded by the Cannondale criterion model. Take that information and make a determination on whether you should enter this into Unbound soon.
You will get a lot of applause on the rollout but will possibly be contemplating why this was not the best idea at mile five

It is a fine frameset. Fast, stiff and responsive are all Words accurately described for this bike . If you are not familiar with criterium racing it might be worth a Google. I have owned two of these bikes over the years and including 1988 when they were current. Criterium racing is a little bit like track racing in that it requires something stiff, responsive, and the current fashionable trend towards big fluffy wide tires is not applicable (as much)
Throw on a set of brifters of your favorite flavor and the bike would still be competitive in your USCF category. (Just assuming that category is not pro 1/2)

It would also be perfect accompaniment on a seafaring vessel. As you pull into port you can rest easy knowing that you have aggressive pedal powered transportation To get you to the bar.

Your bike has been dragged through the parks been a little bit but the parts do appear to be pretty nice, So you can offset the purchase of that current Shimano GRX group set and 38C tires
Old 05-01-23, 03:26 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts

You only gave an hour on a sunday night to get opinions?

Interesting mix of parts. I kind of agree that tire clearance makes this an odd choice for a gravel bike. I used to know a guy who did cyclocross on '86ish Cannondale and even with the smallest 'cross tubulars he had very little tire clearance. Putting anything bigger than a x25 might be tricky

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-01-23, 03:44 AM
brixxton
resykler

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
You only gave an hour on a sunday night to get opinions?

Interesting mix of parts. I kind of agree that tire clearance makes this an odd choice for a gravel bike. I used to know a guy who did cyclocross on '86ish Cannondale and even with the smallest 'cross tubulars he had very little tire clearance. Putting anything bigger than a x25 might be tricky
I realized that for 1bill I would have regretted not picking it up especially being half campy and half Dura Ace , campy rims. Riding it down from Daly City its very quick but super twitchy ,the wind wasn't helping but I got a lot more than I was expecting. Now I need to figure out whiçh steed it's gonna replace.
Would anyone have passed on this? I know the bottoms falling out of the used bike market but I have to keep my stable in single digits.
You're right the Gravel idea, terrible.
Old 05-01-23, 06:08 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Great find! I have a '93 R600 2.8 and really enjoy the quick and lively ride. Mine is spaced 130mm and I've set it up with modern 9-speed gear and plan to update to 10-speed later this year.

As far as gravel is concerned, it's a no-go due to the lack of large tire clearance. Depending on the manufacturer, the largest I've known anyone to succeed in were 28mm wide tires. Most owners must resign themselves to 25mm widths and smaller (IIRC they came with 22-23mm tires).

Your Cannondale did come with an interesting assortment of high-end components. We C-Dale riders look forward to how you build it up to your own personal preferences.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 05-01-23, 06:16 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I raced a couple of these when they were new. They were perfect battle axes for crits, but other than that I did not like them. They are brutal on less than perfect roads, which is all the roads here in New England.
Old 05-01-23, 06:45 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,967 Posts
Ditto the above. It was a steal at $100. You will be lucky to get 25s on there.

That said, the components more than make up the price you paid.

I’d just ride it on decent road jaunts and enjoy.

please re-cable the brakes though...be sure the cable follows the bend of the bars and tape. Then wrap the bars.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 05-01-23, 07:16 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
I have an R300 and the clearance for the frames are about the same. I wanted to try gravel so I squeezed 30mm tires on mine, and that was with grinding the rear brake bridge to get it to clear and getting a longer reach caliper (to move it up a little) , plus I had to remove the FD because the cable would not clear the rear tire. I only did it because it's all I had and if I had to go back, I would not do it. Although I have put 500 miles of gravel riding on it, it constantly throws rocks, sticks, leaves, into the the front and rear brakes, many times making me stop and clear the obstruction. Mud? nope. it will clog bigtime. It's twitchy and it really makes you pay attention to where you are going to say the least. It is not an ideal, or even the slightest idea of a gravel bike. But, it has gotten me out and now I'm building a dropbar bike made for the off road but I cannot wait to get off of the R300 and get to some real gravel biking. I would have jumped all over that deal you got too for 100 bucks but I would move everything over to a more gravel friendly frameset. Surprisingly, I've only had one flat!

Last edited by Breadfan; 05-01-23 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-01-23, 07:25 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
Yes you did goof... lol, at least on your title.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 05-01-23, 07:37 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Nice score, but as others have said it might not be a good choice for conversion to a gravel bike.

If you do decide to use it as your "boat bike" and that boat will be used primarily in salt water, you might want to keep a close eye on the bike - both the components and the frame.

A saltwater environment - including ocean spray - can be somewhat unkind (AKA corrosive) to aluminum.
Old 05-01-23, 07:48 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
For a while now I have noticing a phenomenon showing up in other bicycle discussions and here it is as well. Questioners, like this one, have gotten more aggressive in how they respond to answers that are not what they want. Who would expect to be attacked for giving the correct answer about this very nice bike's lack of gravel DNA?
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 05-01-23, 09:40 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Cool. brixxton should be convinced that this Cannondale is not a Gravel Bike (and I will add that Aluminum bikes do not belong on boats). Therefore, he should send it my way in return for one of my Motobecanes which would make great gravel bikes
Old 05-01-23, 11:13 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I realized that for 1bill I would have regretted not picking it up especially being half campy and half Dura Ace , campy rims.
Would anyone have passed on this? .
I probably would , but the vast majority of CV'ers would not (only ecause im burned out on projects and just want to ride now -- but $100 is an awesome deal. If parted out, the crankset is worth more than that

Sell that and use the proceeds to purchase a correct Dura Ace 7400 crankset, bottom bracket (im hoping the Campagnolo crank is not jammed onto the stock bottom bracket with JIS spindle flats), and left side shifter and its good to go.

Perhaps you can drill a 3 hole Look pattern into the bottom of your topsiders to complete the boat bike ensemble properly while still pedaling in a sporty fashion

Shiver me timbers
Likes For DMC707:
Old 05-01-23, 11:54 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Awesome AWESOME bikes.

I’ve had two, a pristine Black lightning and a ratty SR500.
They take off like a scalded cat!

they don’t have clearance for more than a 25mm wide tire, you can sometimes find one that’ll go to 28mm

I love repurposing bikes (well anything) for fun and challenge, and I would toss a 650b wheel set on here for fatter tires on a tight geo bike. The tight clearance will HELP with getting brakes that reach.

wasn’t that the original purpose of the size, guys? To get race bikes onto the trail?

oh, but USE FENDERS, old Cannondale paint has a tendency to fall off the aluminum frame if you look at it wrong 😂

I ended up moving my two crits along because I like storage on a bike for a sweater and a sandwich, but I've been thinking about getting another beater canny crit. The Lightning just felt too precious to ride, would never be comfortable locking it anywhere... Beautiful bike, but just not for me.

That blue beater bike with a fork I replaced was ugly and anreal scream to hoon around. I never thought I'd miss it more than the Lightning, but there it is 😂
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 05-01-23, 12:10 PM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts

30mm Gravel. Pushing the limits.
Likes For Breadfan:
Old 05-01-23, 12:22 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
That bike was the beginning of the end for the bike design trend which saw super-short wheel base, extremely upright tube angles, brutally stiff frames forks and near-zero tire clearance.

No doubt, it looks cool, especially in black (red is better, ). No doubt it has good components. No doubt $100 was a great price.

When they first came out, I wanted to buy one.

Personally, I would not buy it at any price as a rider. As a gravel bike, if I understand that term correctly, it is the perfectly WRONG bike.

P.S. - Is that a humongous dent in the drive side chain stay? Ah, yes, now I remember. Thanks to Chr0m0ly for reminding me. So tight, there isn't even clearance for the crank arms to spin.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 05-01-23 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-01-23, 12:57 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
That bike was the beginning of the end for the bike design trend which saw super-short wheel base, extremely upright tube angles, brutally stiff frames forks and near-zero tire clearance.

No doubt, it looks cool, especially in black. No doubt it has good components. No doubt $100 was a great price.

Personally, I would not buy it at any price as a rider. As a gravel bike, if I understand that correctly, it is the perfectly WRONG bike.

P.S. - Is that a humongous dent in the drive side chain stay?
Those are for clearence, the "dents" are put in on purpose to clear the crank arm. All the 80's and early 90s cannondales have them. They were put in before alignment and tempering, so not even a stress riser. Those chain stays are like an inch in diameter. The two in my post both have them if you zoom in 👍
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 05-01-23, 01:16 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
brixxton
I agree with the others, part it out and use the funds to fund a frame that is actually capable for gravel. If it's going to be a 'boat bike', I'd recommend something like a 70s Raleigh Supercourse made with straight gauge (i.e. thick) Reynolds 531 tubing. They're ubiquitous and have plenty of room for tire clearance with 700c wheels. The thick tubing will stand up to years of punishment of rust if things go poorly on the boat. And you won't cry if it rusts through after 10 years or so, there's a million of them. I'd still give it a good once-over with frame-protection on both the inside and outside of the bike.

Yeah it won't be lightweight...but this is a gravel-boatbike (bicycle manufacturers, get cracking. You've a new niche to fill.) You don't want thin tubing near all that saltwater.
Old 05-01-23, 02:56 PM
brixxton
resykler

is this special ?

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Great find! I have a '93 R600 2.8 and really enjoy the quick and lively ride. Mine is spaced 130mm and I've set it up with modern 9-speed gear and plan to update to 10-speed later this year.

As far as gravel is concerned, it's a no-go due to the lack of large tire clearance. Depending on the manufacturer, the largest I've known anyone to succeed in were 28mm wide tires. Most owners must resign themselves to 25mm widths and smaller (IIRC they came with 22-23mm tires).

Your Cannondale did come with an interesting assortment of high-end components. We C-Dale riders look forward to how you build it up to your own personal preferences.
Is this proprietary to the year/model I can't find any similar, cheers
It's definitely a keeper and with my Super Sport Schwinn and Reparto Corse Bianchi i feel lucky.
i need help. there is a sweet Bianchi, 600 Arabesque, Brooks saddle on S.F. CList for
$100 or offers. Please pick it up before I do!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20230501_134515.jpg (1.08 MB, 140 views)
Old 05-01-23, 03:08 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
I believe your bike was purchased as a frame and built to the buyers specs. Hence no R600 or R###
Old 05-02-23, 06:06 AM
TireLever-07

Bikes: 2009 Masi, 2014 Specialized Crossroads 1975 Schwinn Unicycle

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks like a smaller diameter wheel. On the back of the subject bike. cheers
Old 05-02-23, 06:40 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by TireLever-07
Looks like a smaller diameter wheel. On the back of the subject bike. cheers
I believe the rims are the same, but the brand of tires (and thus the size) is different. Mismatched tires goes well with the rest of the build.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 05-02-23, 07:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
For a while now I have noticing a phenomenon showing up in other bicycle discussions and here it is as well. Questioners, like this one, have gotten more aggressive in how they respond to answers that are not what they want. Who would expect to be attacked for giving the correct answer about this very nice bike's lack of gravel DNA?

A "I am thinking about buying this crit bike with an infamously stiff and limited clearance rear triangle."
B "Why would you want to use a crit bike on gravel?"
A "Why WOULDNT I do that?!?!"

I have noticed this narrative often plays out with someone who wants to try out gravel, doesnt want to spend money on a new bike(reasonable), and wants to repurpose a bike for frame they already have since its easier/cheaper.
It really seems to be seen in the c&v forum too, since repurposing/upcycling/saving is a natural mentality within the forum, and many are borderline hoarders so they have plenty of frames, wheels, etc.

Everyone is different in terms of comfort and stability tolerance, and everyone rides on surfaces that vary widely. With that said, I just dont understand why anyone would want to ride general gravel using anything smaller than a 32. And really, that would be for situations where the gravel is a brief connector to paved, or it is dry smooth hardpack.
Anything where gravel is the predominant surface for the ride and it isnt just a hardpack limestone path or dry smooth hardpack, I would want at least a 38mm tire. I use 43 now because why not- it isnt goofy wide and it allows for plenty of size to help ensure the tire doesnt dig into the loose surface, and gives me some build in comfort for the rough surfaces.

On a similar note, I wouldnt want to try downhill skiing for the first time with cross country skis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.