Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Choosing an internal gear hub - Shimano, Sturmey-Archer? 3, 5, 7, 8?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-21, 02:39 PM
mc510

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I "upgraded" from a Sturmey-Archer AW3 to a Shimano Nexus 8, and I'm kind of dissatisfied because of the very noticeable friction drag of the Shimano (compared to the SA). I still like IG hubs though, and next up is to replace my wife's ancient SA AW3 bike ... but what to get that won't have noticeable drag? Is a five speed Shimano Nexus substantially better (i.e., less friction) than the eight speed? What are the contemporary Sturmey Archer hubs like; is the three speed still pretty much free of drag? What's the five speed like?
Old 10-10-21, 11:29 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
I have 4 IGHs and ZERO defaileurs. I order of least drag > SA RD3, SA XL-RD5w, Rohloff14 and Nexus 7i with roller brake. The 3 speed is on a 1973 CCM at 42 lbs, I have done 4 centuries with it, very EASILY, as described in my Fifty+ thread.
The SA 5w has 3 more GIs than the Nexus 7. The 7 is newer to me, so I'm still trying to loosen the bearings up. It spins only 20 secs, less than the Rohloff a bit, while SA hubs will spin over 3 minutes. The 5w has had very finicky shifting reliability, yet some years it was perfect all year. WTH. I've taken it apart a dozen times. Both my SA hubs have oil inside and grease on the bearing runs. I expect the new SA RX models have better shifting like the all Shimano ones.

Your 8 speed has an extra end gear over the SA 5. Mine has been 46 to 117 GIs most of the miles, which got me up over 45 mph several times. This year I tried it and the Nexus at 34 to 84/ 86 GIs, so better at hills that way, but way slower on the highway.
Dan Burkhart says his SA 8 goes very well. It has the same GIs as Shimano.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-12-21 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-10-21, 01:22 PM
mc510

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, sounds like we may be happier with the Sturmey Archer than with the Shimano Nexus.

Curiously, the SA hubs are very inexpensive (~$140 for a five speed hub with shifter!) and yet they seem to not be offered as standard equipment by any bike mfg that I've been able to find. It even looks like bikes with Nexus hubs are less available than several years ago when I bought mine ... at least judging by what's sold at my local independent and chain bike/sports stores. I may be looking at a very limited range of choices, or having to build up a custom rear wheel.
Old 10-16-21, 10:06 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
Maybe you should also loosen up the bearings, like I did mine on the brake side. The chain and chain side is still stiff as a board. Weirdly, the rim wiggles differently when in a different gear. The SA 5w is the same all the time.

So I put on my fast cogs, 44/ 17T > 44.4 to 108.6 GIs and went to the two medium steep hills on the highway today for a last ride of the season here. Only 57 miles RT.
It's far better than it was, at least. It coasts far better. But it would only do 38 mph on both hills. It just does NOT feel like a toboggan going downhill like the SA 3 and 5w. With them I could feel it instantly with only inches of slope.
My Rohloff14 has done 43 mph on both hills. I did have a bigger tailwind though.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-17-21 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-16-21, 11:45 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
I'd wager that any & all IGH hubs have some degree of a break-in period. My Rohloff was tight AF for the first 500 miles to the point of wondering why the entire world had lied to me. I even did a pre-emptive oil change for the purpose of determining there was oil in it. At 3500 miles it's as smooth as butter & every bit as good if not better than any derailleur system I have owned.

My experience with Nexus 7's are similar. I can't see any reason why an 8 speed would break the trend.

I'd wait & reserve judgement until some miles have accumulated.