Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Tire Liner Puncture Pad

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-21, 03:24 PM
Tiagra77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi. I need a Bicycle Tire Liner Puncture Pad for an old Peugeot. However, I can't find for the size of my wheel (27 1/8). Does 27.5'' will do ? Thanks.
Old 10-11-21, 03:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
Tiagra77- OK you got me. In 45+ years of LBS working I had never heard of a puncture pad so I copied the name and googled it and find you're likely looking for a tire liner, a puncture resistant ribbon that is placed between the tire and the tube. Correct??

These liners have some size flexibility with the width being more important to get as close as possible (compared to the length). Too wide and the fit in the tire suffers and too narrow and you loose protection along the sides. The ends will overlap a bit so a tad more or less overlapping is not a big deal. So a liner made for a 650B/584 ISO or 27.5" tire might very well work if not too wide.

The shops I have worked in have generally found that liners (like Mr Tuffys) can be the cause of flats and if not installed straight and evenly can leave some portions of the contact patch uncovered. We strongly suggest deburring the liner's ends and maintaining full air pressure as any chafing/internal rubbing can cause the liner edges to abrade the tube and cause a flat. We have found vastly better overall performance with a tire with puncture protection molded into it's casing (like Bontrager Hard Case or Conti Gatorskin). Andy
Old 10-11-21, 03:54 PM
Tiagra77

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Andy. Sorry for the lost in translation, as english is my second language. That's how some chinese sellers call it however.
Likes For Tiagra77:
Old 10-11-21, 04:10 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Tire liners are made in 27"-compatible sizes. A liner marked "27.5" is likely to be far too wide for your tire: Sizes
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-11-21, 05:36 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
I have to use these on all my bikes. Here in Tucson, the thorns and Goat Heads are everywhere, literally.
Before I started using them there was a week when I got 6 flats. The fronts, not-so-bad but the rears are a PIA.
The "tire guard" or "thorn strips" I get from my local shop cost about $8 each and they have finished beveled soft edges. I dont see a way for one to cause a flat. I've never had a flat caused by one. I've actually never had a flat since I started using them but I have pulled thorns from the tire with no flat.
I have also seen several different kinds with one more like carbon fibre/ kevlar like cloth mesh.
The shop pulls them from a case and they are not packaged so I'm sorry I don't know their brand name. The ones I use on my 27" tires have blue edges and the ones for the wider tires have red edges.
One issue is that they add weight to the tire, although they are lighter than thorn resistant tubes that dont do any good around here.

I would try and find a REAL desert area bike shop that sells online and call them or write them a note.
Old 10-11-21, 05:48 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
And the one that goes between the tube and the rim is-
Rim Strip or Rim Tape.
Old 10-11-21, 06:40 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12777 Post(s)
Liked 7,694 Times in 4,083 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiagra77
Hi. I need a Bicycle Tire Liner Puncture Pad for an old Peugeot. However, I can't find for the size of my wheel (27 1/8). Does 27.5'' will do ? Thanks.
​​​​​​Just use a 700c Mr. Tuffy. They're plenty long enough to handle the slightly larger circumference of a 27" tire.

I'd go for the red one:
  • Red: 700c x 28-32mm / 27 x 1 1/8" / 27 x 1 1/4" (52g)
Old 10-11-21, 07:11 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The shops I have worked in have generally found that liners (like Mr Tuffys) can be the cause of flats and if not installed straight and evenly can leave some portions of the contact patch uncovered.
Andy, I've been using Mr. Tuffy liners for at least 10 years... to prevent flats on my "winter" bike from the studs themselves. I've never had a problem with the ends of the liners causing flats.
I *have* had trouble getting the strips to stay lined up during installation, so I use short strips of double-sided tape (rated for "outdoor" use) placed around the inside of the tire. These have worked well. I take the strips out between seasons mainly to check on how broken-down the studded tires are.
Cheers,
Steve

Two of the eight pieces of double-sided tape used to hold a tire liner in place during tire mounting. The red plastic comes off to expose the adhesive.
Old 10-12-21, 03:43 AM
Deetox

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sweeks
Andy, I've been using Mr. Tuffy liners for at least 10 years... to prevent flats on my "winter" bike from the studs themselves. I've never had a problem with the ends of the liners causing flats.
I *have* had trouble getting the strips to stay lined up during installation, so I use short strips of double-sided tape (rated for "outdoor" use) placed around the inside of the tire. These have worked well. I take the strips out between seasons mainly to check on how broken-down the studded tires are.
Cheers,
Steve
May I ask what brand of tape you're using?
Old 10-12-21, 04:24 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Originally Posted by Deetox
May I ask what brand of tape you're using?
Of course! It's 3M. It's rated for "outdoor" use, though I'm not sure that's essential. Once the strip is in place and the tire is inflated, the tape has done its job and could disappear. So probably any brand would work.
Old 10-12-21, 05:20 AM
Deetox

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sweeks
Of course! It's 3M. It's rated for "outdoor" use, though I'm not sure that's essential. Once the strip is in place and the tire is inflated, the tape has done its job and could disappear. So probably any brand would work.
Ah ok thanks. I do already have a couple other brands and haven't been too happy with them but sounds like they might be ok for this type of application.
Old 10-12-21, 06:06 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
A lot of folks use kapton tape in place of rim strips. It's very tough and very thin, making it ideal for this application.

I like the trick of double-sided tape inside the tire to keep the liner in place!
Old 10-12-21, 09:11 AM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
I just looked through eBay and found the kind I use. Rhinodillos
They may not list for 27" tires since they are semi-obsolete but the 700c is the same. It overlaps an inch or so, so it will be long enough. I have these same ones on 27" and 700c tires. The edges are gel-like and taper, I don't see how they could ever cause a flat. Once the inner tube is inflated, they lay down and perfectly conform to the tires shape with the edges blending into the sidewall with that bevel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30397226045...gAAOSwpFtcRg-1

Last edited by macstuff; 10-12-21 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-12-21, 01:15 PM
sweeks

Originally Posted by Deetox
I do already have a couple other brands and haven't been too happy with them but sounds like they might be ok for this type of application.
After a season of snow commuting, there's not much left of the tape, but the tire liner is right where it needs to be.