Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

One Man's Impression of Portland, Oregon

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

One Man's Impression of Portland, Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 08:13 PM
dijos
Walks with a limp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, That's seriously a great write-up.
This could be the beginning of a great series.
Old 09-12-07, 08:20 PM
delicious

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Without getting too long winded it sounds like (and you basically state this yourself) it's just not for you. I think it's ****ing awesome here - it's the most vibrant and beautiful city I've ever been too. And I'm not very weird at all.
Old 09-12-07, 09:07 PM
Mtbnomore

Bikes: Trek Domane, Soma Smoothie, Surly Big Dummy/Pacer/KM/Ogre, and a revolving collection of vintage stuff

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, Sacramento DOES suck.
Old 09-12-07, 09:48 PM
doofo
thomas masini lives

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
try longer than 4 days and then i might consider believing what you have to say
Old 09-12-07, 09:53 PM
Bicycle Repairm
It's Bicycle Repairman!

Bikes: 3 A.N.T. bikes, a 1977 Viscount, 1987 Trek 850, Schwinn Peloton Pro,1987 Trek 400 fixie, 2006 Bianchi Pista, Unknown vintage/make of fixie conversion, and a Bianchi B.a.S.S.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just up there last wknd, and basically agree with the writeup.
The lack of decent paying jobs would keep me from moving, since I DO like to eat/drink good coffee/have a roof over my head.
I was rather surprised by the poor turnout for the Bicycle Film Festival, especially in the "bike friendly" town of Portland.
I'd traveled all the way from Fort Worth, TX to goto that event, and the local turnout was disappointing, not just to myself, but to the organizer of the event.
Here in Ft. Worth, we had to fight for nearly 8 YEARS to get 60 miles of bike lanes put in that the city had gotten funding for in 1999.
Bikes are considered "toys" here, you WILL get harassed/buzzed here, it's just a matter of when.
Overall, I LOVED my visit to Portland, and will be back in Feb, to see if I like the winters.
Old 09-12-07, 10:01 PM
thatcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got super lost in portland. its cool though.
Old 09-12-07, 10:03 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ducks are in Eugene which is two hours away.

And Beavers suck.(runs)
Old 09-12-07, 10:44 PM
Suttree
some new kind of kick

Bikes: SOMA Rush, Miyata 912, Kogswell Mod. G, want a porteur bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was born in Portland--
I just can't take the rain and darkness--so
I'm down here in Cali breathing ****ty Sacramento air
flavored with forest fires.
Old 09-12-07, 10:54 PM
tkarwin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nobody ever needs a GAP.
Old 09-12-07, 11:02 PM
cutality
ponytron overdrive

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tkarwin
Nobody ever needs a GAP.
aside from that, downtown, lloyd center, and nw/23rd certainly seems like more than enough for anyone.
Old 09-12-07, 11:15 PM
PluperfectArson
沒有腳踏車的居民

Bikes: Mericier Kilo TT Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaiju-velo
I was born in Portland--
I just can't take the rain and darkness--so
I'm down here in Cali breathing ****ty Sacramento air
flavored with forest fires.
I am made fun of for carrying around an umbrella, when Oregonians are suppose to be known for not using them.

Truth is, I just do not like being wet.
Old 09-12-07, 11:24 PM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[*] Aside from some Asian influence and the ubiquitous West Coast Mexican worker class, there is zero ethnic presence, particularly European. From what I've seen, there's no Little Italy, there's no Jewish part of town, no Polish or Germans. There aren't even any black people (I've read that Portland's population is something like 6.5% African-American, making it the whitest major city in America). Everything is homogenously, dispassionately white. This also means the food suffers. For example, I betcha I could find a right-wing conservative faster than I could find a decent bagel in this city.
Like has been said, there is a Chinatown (read: Homelesstown), and there's a thriving black community in North Portland who could give a **** less about you enjoying your art/culture on Alberta / Mississippi because it was their street pre-gentrification era (think all black owned businesses, in contrast to how it is now). There's also a lot of Hispanics here but you're not going to see them if you stick in the Alberta/Hawthorne/NW 23rd/Downtown/"culture" areas, you'd have to go to Greshem or 82nd or the not so nice areas of town. And right wing conservatives... yeah, they're out here but Multnomah county as a whole (including Portland) pushes a would-be Red state to being Blue, and pretty vocally so. I strongly disagree about the food, you can find a lot of diverse places downtown if you look (Peruvian, Indian, Greek, Mediterranean, Thai, Mexican, Chinese, Lebanese). Bagels... I don't know, I'm not a bagel guy.

[*] The anarcho-vegan-smoker-unemployed-coffee-stoner-crunchy-hipster-slacker vibe that permeates everything. Behind the terrifying militant leftist facade is the glaring lack of any edge, sarcasm, urgency, or attitude. Everyone does everything in their own sweet time, and they get all sensitive if you sting them a little.
Yeah, I guess I can't comment because you threw like 10 generalizations all into one super-generalizing stereotyped group. Maybe that's just my edgy Portland sarcasm? Actually, I think as a whole this city is too polite whereas you go out to Boston and everyone's a smartass.

[*] Smoking and coffee. Smoking and coffee. Smoking and coffee. And drugs. Then more coffee.
Yep, it's a recreational sport though I can't see why that's bad. I like to get in 3 or 4 cups a day downtown on/before/after the job.

[*] It's a totally down-and-out. There are no jobs, so unemployment and alcoholism are huge problems, and the homeless are everywhere, usually sleeping in the streets. After 8pm, the downtown side of the Burnside Bridge looks like a refugee camp.
There's plenty of jobs on craigslist and most of my friends looking for jobs don't have to go too far. But maybe you mean careers? I don't know. The homeless do permeate the Burnside bridge but also realize there is a strong homeless-advocate scene and there's a number of organizations near there that cater to the homeless, one of which I've volunteered to work at. It's not any worse than other big cities and in my eyes, better. I remember seeing more homeless in SF and Vancouver, BC, and they're going to try to get a lot more out of you than just pocket change.

[*] To the untrained eye, most neighborhoods look the same. All feature the following items: a straight, flat main street, many bars, many coffee shops, a vintage looking theater with a neon marquee, bohemian little independent shops, an ultra-contemporary mixed-used residential building, an organic grocery market, and a Jiffy Lube/Walgreens/insert-standalone-chain-business-here that signals the end of the quirky little neighborhood. Pick a community: Hawthorne, Belmont, Mississippi, Nob Hill, Alberta...they all follow this basic formula pretty closely.
That's a welcome critique I suppose.

[*] It's a haven for freaks and rejects. I'm definitely not weird enough to be here. Along with the guy-with-the-cat-on-his shoulder guy, the homeless-drunk-guy-getting-kicked-out-of-the-bar-complaining-that-he's-a-famous-movie-star guy, and the guy-with-one-big-dreadlock guy, we saw a "chick" hanging out at the GLBT radio station around the corner with a goatee that would put Chuck's to shame.
Very much so true but that's part of the personality of the city.

[*] I'm a huge sports fan, and aside from the Blazers (who just drafted Greg Oden, a plus), professional sports are of negligible importance. There's no baseball, no football, and no decent college teams (although the Ducks just put a hurtin' on Michigan).
There's Beavers for baseball (and they're champs), the Timbers for soccer (very loyal fanbase), and a velodrome for track racing. But yeah, we're way into the Blazers.

[*] Despite the community spirit, strangers here are a little icy. You're much more likely on the East Coast to get a friendly wave/nod from someone you don't know.
Yeah I don't know. I've had it go both ways.

[*] There are no chain stores, anywhere, unless you brave a trip to the suburbs. It's great to foster an independent spirit, but sometimes you need a motherf*ckin' GAP.
Sounds like you didn't make it to Lloyd Center, Mall 205, Gateway, or any of the other chain havens that aren't inside all the 'cool' neighborhoods like Alberta and Hawthorne. There's plenty of chains here and you don't need to go to the suburbs to find them.

[*] 2 active volcanoes within a 70 mile-radius of downtown. Get up a few floors in any building and you can see both Mount St. Helens and Mount Hood. I mean, they're beautiful and all, but it still makes me nervous that some kind of Dante's Peak scenario could play out sometime in the near future.
If St. Helens erupted again all we'd get would be some ash, happened in 1980 and it looked like snow from what I hear. If Mt. Hood erupted that'd be a hell of a lot worse, but hey, we can ski/snowboard there YEAR ROUND. There's only 2 other places in N. America that you can do that. So yes, if you wanted to go up in the middle of July to snowboard, you certainly could (and you'd find people from all skiing states up there with you).

[*] You can't get lunch anywhere. It's a huge breakfast town, then things kinda shut down until 5pm. If you're hungry around noon, good luck. Maybe you could drive out to the suburbs to find a Wendy's.[/list]
Did you go downtown much? It's so permeated with lunch spots it's hard to decide which one to go to. Food carts everywhere, cheap Mexican food, Thai food, pizza, sushi, sandwiches, soup, everything.

Last edited by andre nickatina; 09-12-07 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-12-07, 11:30 PM
cutality
ponytron overdrive

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was going to start in on a detailed response, but i'd just like to say that i concur with andre.
Old 09-12-07, 11:32 PM
Shaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in total awe that one can so accurately depict a town in a matter of 4 days.

Btw... The concrete jungle starts to look more common the further out from the core you get.

There is a reason the term "Culture" has such multi-faceted adaptation in meaning
Old 09-12-07, 11:36 PM
newnoise

Bikes: Bridgestone Grand Velo Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm moving to Portland in about a week and am really excited. I'm going for school and from what I've seen thus far I'm excited about the whole art/music/bike scene. we'll see my impressions after living there for a bit.

by the way does anybody have a room they want to rent to me?
Old 09-12-07, 11:42 PM
tkarwin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newnoise
I'm moving to Portland in about a week and am really excited. I'm going for school and from what I've seen thus far I'm excited about the whole art/music/bike scene. we'll see my impressions after living there for a bit.

by the way does anybody have a room they want to rent to me?
What school will you be going to?
Old 09-12-07, 11:47 PM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An impression on my part: maybe it's just because I live here and so it catches my eye but I swear more people make these types of posts about Portland than any other city in regards to bike scenes, and I've seen opinions all across the board on BF. Is Portland really seen as some bike-mecca to out of towners?
Old 09-13-07, 12:00 AM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Portland's blowing up.

It's seen as a lot of things to a lot of people, and ****'s picking up speed. It's going to the be next 'it' place. Maybe the migration will create some jobs for the homeless?
Old 09-13-07, 12:05 AM
k_hedge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice review.
I'm actually moving to Portland next week..and I've never been.
I figure if i don't like it I'll head someplace else..just really need to get out of Southern California!!
Old 09-13-07, 12:14 AM
newnoise

Bikes: Bridgestone Grand Velo Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
right now PCC but eventually PNCA, yeah, I'm going to be another annoying art school hipster on a track bike.
Old 09-13-07, 12:17 AM
Suttree
some new kind of kick

Bikes: SOMA Rush, Miyata 912, Kogswell Mod. G, want a porteur bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by andre nickatina
An impression on my part: maybe it's just because I live here and so it catches my eye but I swear more people make these types of posts about Portland than any other city in regards to bike scenes, and I've seen opinions all across the board on BF. Is Portland really seen as some bike-mecca to out of towners?
When you think about how bike-unfriendly many towns are, yes, Portland
is a bike mecca in terms of how it is planned and the culture of the people
there and their general disposition towards bikes. Help keep it that way.
Old 09-13-07, 12:18 AM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by k_hedge
just really need to get out of Southern California!!
after spending my summer there... I hear you!

and after spending many summers in OR...
get ready for culture shock.
Old 09-13-07, 12:35 AM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaiju-velo
When you think about how bike-unfriendly many towns are, yes, Portland
is a bike mecca in terms of how it is planned and the culture of the people
there and their general disposition towards bikes. Help keep it that way.
The thing is, while there's a lot of bike-advocacy, there's still a lot of motorists that get pissed off at seeing bikers on the road. It's no picture-perfect utopia here, even if we are more bike-friendly than other places, and people need to get that idealistic notion out of their heads.
Old 09-13-07, 03:43 AM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EMT
I actually can't think of any place I would rather live in the States than Philly---applied for a job there recently in fact.
Wow....Its strange how people can have such
different views of the same place. I grew up right
outside of Philly but spent a huge part of my life
in the city. I think its an unliveable dump. It was cool
in the 80's but going into the 90's something changed
and its only gotten worse. The wage tax is ridiculous
to if you try to work there......the filth...mean, mean peeplz...
Old 09-13-07, 03:56 AM
fixedude
Fix Turns My Crank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tkarwin
Nobody ever needs a GAP.
true words! when i was in portland, the relative lack of major chain stores was a big PRO for the city. so was the tugboat brewery and powells!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.