Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

can i use vernier caliper to check my chain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 09:12 PM
mostlybent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I read a few posts about checking with ruler and Park tool chain checker, but I have a 12" vernier caliper and was wondering if there is a good way to check for chain wear.

I've never checked for wear in my entire 40 years of riding. Presently have three bikes one is a recumbent with a super long chain.

The only time i changed chains was about every two years, but clock 2000KM per year on my odometer often. I think i should pay more attention.
Old 04-29-08, 09:49 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by mostlybent
I read a few posts about checking with ruler and Park tool chain checker, but I have a 12" vernier caliper and was wondering if there is a good way to check for chain wear.

I've never checked for wear in my entire 40 years of riding. Presently have three bikes one is a recumbent with a super long chain.

The only time i changed chains was about every two years, but clock 2000KM per year on my odometer often. I think i should pay more attention.
I'd assume you can use the caliper to measure pin-to-pin and determine the stretch using the typical criteria. A good 12" ruler or tape measure is sufficient. Your chain replacement schedule works for you, but perhaps if you measure, you may find you can extend chain life beyond two years.