Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I don't know..

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I don't know..

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 06:28 AM
bigjim1

Bikes: 2 Raleigh Sprints. 1 Saracen tourer. dawes Galaxy, 1985 Harry Hall racer, 1991 Raleigh Special Products 853 Race bike. 1985 Raleigh Royal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know..

Just picked this up for a fiver [$10]. What is it? Has 5x2=10speed. Simplex gearing. Chrome stem & bars. 27" wheels. Panther written on frame. Assume something cheap & cheerful utility from the 60s/70s. Not made my mind up whether to break or use as "don't care if it gets stolen commuter]. Would be in good condition with a bit of TLC.
Thanks for any info. Jim

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23172121@N07/2600829035/
Old 06-23-08, 09:06 AM
ticwanos
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't say I've ever heard of a "Panther". My guess from looking at the pictures is it is hi-ten steel since it has cottered cranks, suicide brake levers and stem shifters (did I see that right?). It was NOT designed as a high speed racer. But it does have fenders, seat looks OK, everything looks to be in fair condition and would no doubt make a sturdy commuter with a minimal investment in replacement parts like tires, cables, brake pads, etc. and a bit of time cleaning it up. Personally, I would get it ride worthy and enjoy it for a while, and then pass it on. But then, according to my wife, I am obsessed with old bikes, and perhaps my opinion should be disregarded.
-- Leon Briggs
Old 06-23-08, 09:08 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^

IIRC Panther is a low end German maker of cycles.
Old 06-23-08, 10:19 AM
bigjim1

Bikes: 2 Raleigh Sprints. 1 Saracen tourer. dawes Galaxy, 1985 Harry Hall racer, 1991 Raleigh Special Products 853 Race bike. 1985 Raleigh Royal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ahhh.
German heh. My LBS does not recognise the make but says the Simplex gears with mallard hub are very good quality. But for $10 which inclded a track pump and lock plus 2 new cables fitted. Not a bad investment. Shame to strip it.

Jim
Old 06-23-08, 10:27 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by bigjim1
My LBS does not recognise the make but says the Simplex gears with mallard hub are very good quality.
Run, don't walk away from a shop that dare states anything of the kind in regards to plastic Simplex derailers and Mallard Helicomatic hubs. At least, run when they try to sell you "very good quality" vintage parts.

Gladly let them maintain both of the aforementioned components if they claim either is of such high caliber though. Would be amusing to see if they've ever experienced either component malfunctioning (Helicomatic freewheel pawls) or cracked (Simplex delrin rear derailers).

Talk about a shop rolling two magnificent mistakes into one sentence.

-Kurt

Old 06-23-08, 01:44 PM
bigjim1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not noticed any plastic on the gears. I do like the chrome handlebars though. Just a minute though those hubs and gears have lasted a long time. Got to be 30+ years. How bad can they be?

Jim
Old 06-23-08, 02:28 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by bigjim1
Not noticed any plastic on the gears. I do like the chrome handlebars though. Just a minute though those hubs and gears have lasted a long time. Got to be 30+ years. How bad can they be?

Jim
Plastic would be the black sections of the rear derailer. They may appear to be anodized aluminum at first glance. Some of these Simplex delrin mech's were better then others, but usually prone to failure after a while.

Mallard Helicomatic rear hubs utilized an very innovative spline-pattern freewheel removal system which was pretty good in itself, but the matching freewheels were known for the pawl ratcheting action to fail.

-Kurt