Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

NYT article on riding in NYC

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-09, 10:08 PM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts

Experienced biker on how NY has changed over the years. >150 comments so far.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/ny...ty/08bike.html

(Dateline was 3/6. Sorry if a notice has already been posted here.)
Old 03-07-09, 11:01 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Great article. Sounds like getting around on bike in New York is much more of an ordeal than it is for me in the Mid West. I, too, like to stop at red lights, but not if I know they will never change for me.
Old 03-08-09, 03:20 AM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I agree with the author of the article that bicyclists have a PR problem, largely because of the behavior of many of our own. I try to make it a habit to stop for pedestrians, and, invariably, they're confused at first; it's obvious they're not used to bicyclists who give them the right of way. One pedestrian even laughed out loud and said, "What?! A courteous bicyclist? What are you trying to do, change my whole world view?" (I'm not making this up.) My non-cycling friends are all convinced that at least 80% of bicyclists regularly violate traffic laws. I'm pretty sure the true figure is much lower, but still, the number of bicyclists who leave a bad impression is large enough to ruin it for the rest of us. If we're going to insist that we have a right to use the roads, which we certainly do, we should at least have the maturity to obey traffic laws.
Old 03-08-09, 06:21 AM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great article. When I talk to non bikers and hear complaints about cyclists riding like maniacs, I ask them if they drive their cars like some NYC cabbies. Their answer is an emphatic 'NO!'. "Well, should we judge ALL drivers on those wild cab drivers?" Again, an emphatic "NO!!" is the answer.

So, I ask them to give bikers the same benefit of the doubt. Don't assume every cyclist is trying to mow you down or run a light.
Old 03-08-09, 10:49 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
(This is being discussed on Fifty Plus, too)

Wish he would say 'cyclist' instead of 'biker'.
Great article.

This reader comment jumped out at me as an example of highly-logical thinking:
"I don't stop at intersections, because it isn't safe to be sitting in one. Most (car) accidents happen at intersections, and I don't want to be sitting in a spot where that can happen and get crushed by a spinning car."
Old 03-08-09, 11:06 AM
crhilton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Excellent article. Definitely worth the read. Thanks for posting this.
Old 03-08-09, 11:31 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Great article, and it again shows that facilities for cyclists can make things better--take note you "anti-facility freaks."

The four suggestions are also right on... Bike friendly, it only makes sense.

Originally Posted by The Four Suggestions
NO. 1: How about we stop at major intersections? Especially where there are school crossing guards, or disabled people crossing, or a lot of people during the morning or evening rush. (I have the law with me on this one.) At minor intersections, on far-from-traffic intersections, let’s at least stop and go.

NO. 2: How about we ride with traffic as opposed to the wrong way on a one-way street? I know the idea of being told which way to go drives many bikers bonkers. That stuff is for cars, they say. I consider one-way streets anathema — they make for faster car traffic and more difficult crossings. But whenever I see something bad happen to a biker, it’s when the biker is riding the wrong way on a one-way street.

There will be caveats. Perhaps your wife is about to go into labor and you take her to the hospital on your bike; then, yes, sure, go the wrong way in the one-way bike lane. We can handle caveats. We are bikers.

NO. 3: How about we stay off the sidewalks? Why are bikers so incensed when the police hand out tickets for this? I’m only guessing, but each sidewalk biker must believe that he or she, out of all New York bikers, is the exception, the one careful biker, which is a very car way of thinking.

NO. 4: How about we signal? Again, I hear the laughter, but the bike gods gave us hands to ring bells and to signal turns. Think of the possible complications: Many of the bikers behind you are wearing headphones, and the family in the minivan has a Disney DVD playing so loudly that it’s rattling your 30-pound Kryptonite chain. Let them know what you are thinking so that you can go on breathing as well as thinking.
Old 03-08-09, 11:39 AM
NeezyDeezy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This article is balanced, and makes good points, but I wouldn't say it's good or well written. Do we really need more cliche references to Lance Armstrong or "supercool fixed gear frame" bikes?
Old 03-08-09, 02:47 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Great article, and it again shows that facilities for cyclists can make things better--take note you "anti-facility freaks."
Yup this article really proves that with the authors attitudes:

that all the other cyclist, except him, are bad,

that cyclist must have MUPs and when the city builds a MUP that creates conflict, then the conflict must be the cyclist fault,

All those stereotyped Lance Armstrong wannabes and "supercool fixed gear" cyclist all break the law, are bad cyclist, and give the normal cyclist 'like him' bad names; after all, motorist would love cyclist if only no one dressed in cycle specific clothing, did not ride fixed gear, just stayed in the bike lanes and just loved moving at 0-3 mph on MUPs.

Since the bike lanes Koch built were so great, why did so many NYC cyclist refuse to use them?

Why did the author need to stereotype other cyclist and then attack those stereotypes, rather than just making his four good points.
If this author really wanted to write a good article, he would have noted how many cyclist of all his stereotypes, obey the law, even some of those who are able to ride VC on the roads.

Gene even thinks the article proves that if a city just puts in bike lanes and MUPs, then cycling becomes heaven. Tell that to the bike lane users that were killed in Portland, they were all obeying the law.
Old 03-08-09, 02:59 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JanMM
(This is being discussed on Fifty Plus, too)

Wish he would say 'cyclist' instead of 'biker'.
Great article.

This reader comment jumped out at me as an example of highly-logical thinking:
"I don't stop at intersections, because it isn't safe to be sitting in one. Most (car) accidents happen at intersections, and I don't want to be sitting in a spot where that can happen and get crushed by a spinning car."
i agree with this comment. although, for me, i go through intersections so that i have a buffer before the light changes. i can have some room to ride before the next wave of motorist barrel towards me. if i stopped at every light, i would always be mingled with automobiles.
Old 03-08-09, 03:21 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI

that cyclist must have MUPs and when the city builds a MUP that creates conflict, then the conflict must be the cyclist fault,

All those stereotyped Lance Armstrong wannabes and "supercool fixed gear" cyclist all break the law, are bad cyclist, and give the normal cyclist 'like him' bad names; after all, motorist would love cyclist if only no one dressed in cycle specific clothing, did not ride fixed gear, just stayed in the bike lanes and just loved moving at 0-3 mph on MUPs.

Since the bike lanes Koch built were so great, why did so many NYC cyclist refuse to use them?

Why did the author need to stereotype other cyclist and then attack those stereotypes, rather than just making his four good points.
If this author really wanted to write a good article, he would have noted how many cyclist of all his stereotypes, obey the law, even some of those who are able to ride VC on the roads.

Gene even thinks the article proves that if a city just puts in bike lanes and MUPs, then cycling becomes heaven. Tell that to the bike lane users that were killed in Portland, they were all obeying the law.
Well said. I stopped reading the article at "Next comes another species of biker, which I call the Really Cool Biker". I'm sick of curmudgeonly articles on cycling that insist or imply there's One Right Way to ride a bike and dress while on it. This kind of stuff is counterproductive and downright Freddish. I'm all for mocking the all-too-hip (err, "Really Cool"?) crowd but not to make myself feel better about how and what I ride. Also I really don't get is how wearing lycra and being fit translates to "Lance Armstrong wannabe" and how that's somehow bad. Being rude is bad, yes, but wearing comfortable bike clothing?

Also, I'm sick of reading pieces on bike riding that don't address that traffic laws and signaling are made for a world of mostly cars and as an afterthought, pedestrians. Oh and bikes. The Idaho Doctrine (as I call it) is so much more sensible than treating bikes as cars (in summary: for bikes, red ligts == stop sign, stop sign == yield). Is that mentioned after "Really Cool Biker".

Edit: I felt guilty and ended up reading the rest. Why not just write about the four points? Those were pretty reasonable.
Old 03-08-09, 06:22 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NeezyDeezy
This article is balanced, and makes good points, but I wouldn't say it's good or well written. Do we really need more cliche references to Lance Armstrong or "supercool fixed gear frame" bikes?
Yes, that's how people communicate in this country. I thought it was well written. I love a sarcastic tone.
Old 03-08-09, 06:25 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oboeguy
I'm sick of curmudgeonly articles on cycling that insist or imply there's One Right Way to ride a bike...
When it comes to the law there is one correct way to ride a bike. Stop at the red light. Don't hit pedestrians in crosswalks. Don't ride on the sidewalk. And if you do hit a pedestrian while dodging them in a place you're allowed to coincide it'll be your problem for your negligent use of your bicycle.

As for dress, I do dress up like a pudgy lance frequently but I don't get offended if someone calls me a "lance." It's true: I look ridiculous.
Old 03-08-09, 06:27 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Edit: I felt guilty and ended up reading the rest. Why not just write about the four points? Those were pretty reasonable.
I would guess that the NYT requested XXX words and the author obliged. The back story was helpful in my opinion. It added reason for his 4 rules in a very vivid way.
Old 03-08-09, 07:53 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by crhilton
As for dress, I do dress up like a pudgy lance frequently but I don't get offended if someone calls me a "lance." It's true: I look ridiculous.
Any pictures?
Old 03-08-09, 07:57 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crhilton
When it comes to the law there is one correct way to ride a bike. Stop at the red light. Don't hit pedestrians in crosswalks. Don't ride on the sidewalk. And if you do hit a pedestrian while dodging them in a place you're allowed to coincide it'll be your problem for your negligent use of your bicycle.

<shrug/> There's more than one way to ride a bike within the limits of the law.

You might look ridiculous in Lyrcra but not everyone does.
Old 03-08-09, 10:45 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Saw this article posted in the Northeast Forum and started a thread in A & S with it. Now I see it in here.ooops

It's a good article. Very accurate from my experiences of riding in NYC over the years. In the late 80's so many friends thought I was absolutely insane to ride in NY. And they were right in some ways. But it was a sub-culture that has now become way more mainstream. To the point where many of those same people who would never have ridden now ride regularly.

Anyone who claims bike lanes and infrastructure do not increase ridership has not experienced the dynamic shift in NYC over the past 2 decades. It's amazing and now the momentum is on the side of bikers.
Old 03-09-09, 09:10 AM
genec
genec

Ah yes. typical sarcasm from someone who no doubt is in one of the "superior cyclist" groups.

He mentioned specific stereotypes as those cyclists were riding in a selfish manner... as many motorists drive.

Never mind the mention of the light jumping and pedestrian splitting that the stereotyped cyclists do. But sure, let's talk about the less than 1 tenth of 1% of the population that does ride in strict VC manner.

No, Gene does not think bike lanes make for cycling heaven. He does think that well designed bike accommodations make for cycling heaven. And increase cycling ridership.

Show me anything else that has increased cycling modal share... period. Vehicular Cycling doesn't do it. But then you stereotypes like your 1% exclusivity don't you?
Old 03-09-09, 09:15 AM
genec
genec

Well said. I stopped reading the article at "Next comes another species of biker, which I call the Really Cool Biker". I'm sick of curmudgeonly articles on cycling that insist or imply there's One Right Way to ride a bike and dress while on it. This kind of stuff is counterproductive and downright Freddish. I'm all for mocking the all-too-hip (err, "Really Cool"?) crowd but not to make myself feel better about how and what I ride. Also I really don't get is how wearing lycra and being fit translates to "Lance Armstrong wannabe" and how that's somehow bad. Being rude is bad, yes, but wearing comfortable bike clothing?
If it is counter productive then why do you use stereotypes yourself?
Old 03-09-09, 11:53 AM
KitN
Female Member

Bikes: Citizen Tokyo (Silver), Schwinn Collegiate (1980's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a native NY'er and have been living and riding in NYC all of my life (minus the 1.5 years that I was learning to walk).

I have witnessed and experienced a huge shift in cycling in NYC but we still have a lot of problems. I'm sick and tired of the psycho bikers that weave in and out of traffic like they've been drinking, never and I mean NEVER stop FOR ANYTHING and will go head first into crossing traffic, against the light, assuming that that huge city bus will stop in time to avoid t-boning them.

The bikers that ride like maniacs and try to mow down peds who have the right of way in the crosswalk. That fly down one-way streets like idiots. That ride on sidewalks and then look at you like you're crazy when they ride up on YOUR ankle!

You know who you are. Stop being a jacktard and start behaving like human beings. The same said human beings that demand equal treatment and use of the roads yet obey none of the rules of said roads. Ugh!

I'm sick and tired of the brazen law breaking, rude, dangerous behavior and clear disregard for human life. They give every biker/cyclist a bad name. I'd love to see the city seriously start ticketing hardcore cycling infractions.

Obey the law! Yield to peds! Signal your intent! Be visiable! And most of all, BE SAFE! It's not just common sense. It's the law!

Last edited by KitN; 03-09-09 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-09-09, 12:03 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I almost got T-Boned by a big brassed buck chasing after a doe a few months ago.

Other than that, we pretty much follow the rules of the road as we pedal away here in the sleepy foothills of the Ohio Valley. See stop sign: Stop; See Pedestrian: Yield; See car: Watch the hell out! That sort of thing.

Not sure why the NY'ers seem to think that the rules don't apply to them....See debacle on Wall Street for an excellent example.
Old 03-09-09, 12:20 PM
KitN
Female Member

Bikes: Citizen Tokyo (Silver), Schwinn Collegiate (1980's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
See stop sign: Stop; See Pedestrian: Yield; See car: Watch the hell out! That sort of thing.

Not sure why the NY'ers seem to think that the rules don't apply to them....
Agreed! I don't know why a bunch of cyclists think that the "rules" (better known as the LAW) doesn't apply to them.

Like I said in my post prior, it's time the city takes the initiative to teach these cycling crazies that the law DOES indeed apply to them. I say they should start ticketing serious infractions this spring before biking explodes again in the city due to warm weather. That will get the word out that biking dangerously will NOT be tolerated and that there are LAWS here that they need to obey for EVERYONE'S safety.

This isn't the Wild West of cycling cities! You don't make up your own rules as you go. Obey the law and be courteous or suffer the consequences.
Old 03-09-09, 12:57 PM
genec
genec

And yet there are some here that feel those brazen scofflaws are "stereotypes."

Go figure...
Old 03-09-09, 01:05 PM
genec
genec

The most often repeated comments by the readers are "Stop for stop signs and look both ways. Stop for red lights. Signal when turning. Watch for pedestrians."

If you are not doing the above, you are part of the problem.
Old 03-09-09, 01:09 PM
lukasz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
I almost got T-Boned by a big brassed buck chasing after a doe a few months ago.

Other than that, we pretty much follow the rules of the road as we pedal away here in the sleepy foothills of the Ohio Valley. See stop sign: Stop; See Pedestrian: Yield; See car: Watch the hell out! That sort of thing.

Not sure why the NY'ers seem to think that the rules don't apply to them....See debacle on Wall Street for an excellent example.
It is interesting that you think New Yorkers are the only people who live in New York. Actually, I would wager that most of the aforementioned "really cool bikers" are transplants from the Midwest. My theory is that this is cause of the plaid-clad lumberjack phenomenon, as long as we are playing with stereotypes.

The same goes for Wall Street, though the midwest stereotype might not apply there.

In short, stop sending your kids here. Some of us actually have to live here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.