Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Almost hit yesterday....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Almost hit yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-09, 08:02 AM
chrisvu05
Legs of Steel

Bikes: Pegoretti Marcelo, Cannondale six13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost hit yesterday....

Heading home after about 3 hrs in the saddle and I'm trucking along with a tail wind and a mild decent at about 27mph. I saw the women (on her damn cell phone) who was going to turn left across 4 lanes of traffic...she looked at me once...looked right and then pulled out. I swerved because that's all I had time to do and I managed to miss her front bumper by about an inch as she slammed on her brakes and we were almost into oncoming traffic at this point. I cussed a freaking storm at this lady. I hate drivers on cell phones. When are lawmakers going to get smart and outlaw cell phones while driving in all states?

After I had swerved around her I looked back and there were atleast 6 cars behind me being held up by this woman...so it wasn't like she just didn't see me...she didn't see the cars behind me. It really flustered me and I cut my ride short. But it's back on the horse today!
Old 04-25-09, 08:05 AM
mushwars
Banned

Bikes: Bridgestone 400 Custom Road

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think the cell phone is the end all, its the fact that people in cars don't realize that bikes can ride nearly as fast as they do. If i had a dollar for every time someone tries to swerve around me when approaching a stop sign and then either i pull up to it right as they do or i get to it before they do and they cant get ahead of me, man, i'd be rich.
Old 04-25-09, 08:12 AM
chrisvu05
Legs of Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ISOtuxraceINC
I don't think the cell phone is the end all, its the fact that people in cars don't realize that bikes can ride nearly as fast as they do. If i had a dollar for every time someone tries to swerve around me when approaching a stop sign and then either i pull up to it right as they do or i get to it before they do and they cant get ahead of me, man, i'd be rich.
The cell phone was the reason she didn't see me...it was on her left ear and she glanced left(around her cell) only a split second before pulling out in front of myself and atleast 6 cars...I was traveling at near the speed limit in this area too.

BTW, cell phones have been shown to be very distracting to drivers and their cognitive abilities while driving. In fact the NHTSA has estimated that 20-30% of accidents happen because of cell phone distractions.

https://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/08/1...ing/index.html
Old 04-25-09, 08:15 AM
Torgrot

Bikes: Fuji Grand Fondo 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Banning cell phones is never going to happen. Just look at most interchanges, around here there is a cell tower in just about every one. The state/county/city just makes to much money off these to ever seriously ban cell phones in a car. We already have the technology to disrupt cell phone signals in various locations, but the courts have ruled against doing that, i.e. in movie theaters. They could build a car that cell phones wouldn't work in, I would buy that.

torgrot
Old 04-25-09, 08:16 AM
MONGO!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad you didn't get hit.

It's insane that talking on your cell while driving is legal (it is here, at any rate)
Old 04-25-09, 08:20 AM
chrisvu05
Legs of Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Torgrot
Banning cell phones is never going to happen. Just look at most interchanges, around here there is a cell tower in just about every one. The state/county/city just makes to much money off these to ever seriously ban cell phones in a car. We already have the technology to disrupt cell phone signals in various locations, but the courts have ruled against doing that, i.e. in movie theaters. They could build a car that cell phones wouldn't work in, I would buy that.

torgrot
I guarantee you that it is heading that way. Go out to the west coast where atleast in California it is illegal to drive without a handsfree kit. Things are heading that way. As lawmakers get more and more accidents where people are killed because of distracted drivers it will slowly happen. I don't understand how something that the NHTSA has said to cause 20-30% of all crashes is still allowed while driving.
Old 04-25-09, 08:24 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Good job being able to avoid the accident.
Before cell phones were so predominant, drivers were much more predictable.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-25-09, 08:30 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also "almost" got hit yesterday. In my case, is almost got killed!! I am turning right at about 4:30AM in my morning ride. I see a car coming in the direction I am turning, but this a-hole is driving on the left lane almost hitting the mailboxes on that side. Barely had any time to react and throw myself in the grass/sidewalk on the other side of the road. I noticed then he had a piece of paper in his hand with the inside lights on in his pick up truck. Likely drunk as there is a string of redneck bars in that same street. He has the balls to open his window and scream at me that I should be on the sidewalk as I almost made him cause an accident. You would no believe how tempted I was to turn around and beat the snot out of him.

No, it was not a light issue. I have enough lights up front for cars to stop 1/4 mile down the road to let me pass thinking it is a car with only one headlight or a big motorcycle coming.

As for cellphones, I am all for banning them. I have been to 3 third world countries in this year alone in this side of the hemisphere where they are already illegal to use while driving. But, I forget "we" are the intelligent and civilized country!
Old 04-25-09, 08:33 AM
chrisvu05
Legs of Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
glad you're ok dgas! It doesn't have to be a cell phone that distracts a driver....anything other than driving (in your case, drinking and reading a piece of paper) has been shown as a cognitive distraction while driving. I see people driving and reading all the time! What are they thinking?
Old 04-25-09, 08:36 AM
MONGO!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chrisvu05
glad you're ok dgas! It doesn't have to be a cell phone that distracts a driver....anything other than driving (in your case, drinking and reading a piece of paper) has been shown as a cognitive distraction while driving. I see people driving and reading all the time! What are they thinking?
They're probably thinking "It's ok, I'm a good driver"
Old 04-25-09, 08:49 AM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Illegal - Holding Cell Phone While Driving

Originally Posted by Torgrot

torgrot
Holding a cell phone while driving is already illegal in our area. But, people can still use their cell phone while driving, as long as they are not holding it.

Unfortunately, even then the cell phone is still a huge distraction, and I'm quite sure that people are still actually holding their phone, but just have it hidden in their lap, or on the seat. I see people looking down at something all the time. I know they are looking at their cell phone, and not looking clearly both ways.

I see this problem everyday I'm out riding ... !!! Other things are also a major distraction though (doing make up while driving, shaving, reading, eating, drinking, looking for CDs, looking for stuff under the seat, writing while driving, etc.

I was nearly hit when I was driving several years ago. The truck driver was trying to grab his coffee as he was turning a corner, and a very busy intersection. He swung too wide and just about hit me. I followed him, and cut him off to get him to stop, and was pretty upset. A police officer saw what happened, and came over to make a report. The truck driver was apologetic and really sorry.
Old 04-25-09, 08:54 AM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I second that motion for banning cell phone completely while driving! Everytime I'm out riding I see people using their cell phones and NOT paying attention.

I noticed this problem when I used to drive as well. Drivers are not aware of other motor vehicles quite often. They just look one way, then pull out into traffic, nearly causing an accident.

There are many accidents in our area. Wonder how many are caused by cell phones?

Originally Posted by dgasmd
I also "almost" got hit yesterday. In my case, is almost got killed!! I am turning right at about 4:30AM in my morning ride. I see a car coming in the direction I am turning, but this a-hole is driving on the left lane almost hitting the mailboxes on that side. Barely had any time to react and throw myself in the grass/sidewalk on the other side of the road. I noticed then he had a piece of paper in his hand with the inside lights on in his pick up truck. Likely drunk as there is a string of redneck bars in that same street. He has the balls to open his window and scream at me that I should be on the sidewalk as I almost made him cause an accident. You would no believe how tempted I was to turn around and beat the snot out of him.

No, it was not a light issue. I have enough lights up front for cars to stop 1/4 mile down the road to let me pass thinking it is a car with only one headlight or a big motorcycle coming.

As for cellphones, I am all for banning them. I have been to 3 third world countries in this year alone in this side of the hemisphere where they are already illegal to use while driving. But, I forget "we" are the intelligent and civilized country!
Old 04-25-09, 09:01 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What are they thinking?
That is the problem in itself. They ARE NOT thinking at all. People think that driving is like sitting on the toilet. You just sit there and things happen naturally. I have seen people typing on a laptop, reading a newspaper, talking on a cell, eating a full 3 course meal, putting make up, shaving, combing their hair, putting on a tie, and even putting on a panty hose while driving. All of these at 75+ MPH in heavy traffic.
Old 04-25-09, 09:08 AM
Denny Koll

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At some point cell phone driving will be banned.

I have to believe this is killing a lot of people.
Old 04-25-09, 11:29 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
That is the problem in itself. They ARE NOT thinking at all. People think that driving is like sitting on the toilet. You just sit there and things happen naturally. I have seen people typing on a laptop, reading a newspaper, talking on a cell, eating a full 3 course meal, putting make up, shaving, combing their hair, putting on a tie, and even putting on a panty hose while driving. All of these at 75+ MPH in heavy traffic.
Heavy traffic, not quite at 75 mph -- doesn't look that difficult..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KGTZlh1Uaw

Old 04-25-09, 11:37 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
people can barely WALK down the sidewalk while on cell phones. to have someone operating a vehicle is just insane.
Old 04-25-09, 12:02 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
I guarantee you that it is heading that way. Go out to the west coast where atleast in California it is illegal to drive without a handsfree kit.
People here still drive like idiots, so it didn't really help. Besides the act itself of talking on the phone is a huge distraction. Wasn't there a study done that showed people had worse reaction time then when they were legally over the alcohol limit?

UD
Old 04-25-09, 12:19 PM
orcanova

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are definitely closer to a total ban on cell phone usage while driving, since that incident in Houston where the 5 children died after the van rolled into the swollen ditch. The driver was reaching for, or putting away, his cell phone and lost control.

I can talk hands free and drive safely, but sadly many people cannot. I am beginning to feel it should be banned. Too many people are oblivious to the serious responsibility of driving carefully.
Old 04-25-09, 01:26 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
People, in general, do not pay attention to driving while they are driving. They are distracted by a myriad of things. Therefore it is YOUR responsibility, whether you like it or not, to be totally aware of your surroundings and those that are interacting with it.
Also you may as well expect to be hit at some time no matter what you do or how safe and observant you try to be. It is part of the cyclists life. The only thing you can/might be able to do is influence those you have the misfortune to have direct contact with. Make a complaint and follow through when someone nearly hits you. Carry a cell phone, stop and make the call immediately. Or at the very least try to remember their plate number and make the complaint with the local police department when you get home. Also complain to the registry of motor vehicles. They can/will and have contacted drivers that have had complaints lodged against them.
Don't make lame ass complaints though...so and so was driving like a jerk, etc...have details and be clear and calm.

I have been racing and riding for over 18 years, been hit by cars close to 10 times now and the last one nearly killed me and my team mate. I still ride and love riding but I am now a more aggressive rider. I do not try to ride the edge of the rode...gave that up many years ago...I ride the white line and "f"em if they don't like it. If I am turning I am in the center of the lane as a car would be...we are expected to obey the rules of the road we should start riding that way as well. I don't feed into bone heads yelling crap...they are just not worth the effort...you're not going to change them...just laugh and take pleasure knowing they are upset and you are not.

If we/you don't take charge you will always be the victim.
Old 04-25-09, 01:33 PM
Porsche917LH
Banned

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Miyata 110, Giant Rincon, 1952 Scwinn Starlet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In hawaii we are pushing legislation to ban cellphones. I live on base so its a non-issue as the MP's take good care of law breakers! If cars are edging me off I'll just point at their tires and shout "you have a flat" To date it has yet to work but you may as well try.
Old 04-25-09, 01:39 PM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It is banned here in the UK (i.e. you have to use a handsfree kit) and only today I was out walking and saw 2 people on their phones. When I get a helmet cam the police said if I catch people on their phones then they can fine them

However it still comes down to the fact that people think it is their right to drive. Back in the olden days when cars were new people were scared of them - quite rightly too they are heavy and fast = lots of energy. People need to be re-educated to give the road their FULL attention and dangerous driving needs to result in a ban more quickly than it already does. Cars kill so many people and have the potential to kill many more that they require concentration and care to drive.

Rant over! Glad you are ok, next time try to get the plate and report it to the local police.
Old 04-25-09, 01:46 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Coming home from my ride today, a young guy in a Mercedes on his cellphone makes an illegal u-turn across a double yellow and floors it (which is pretty stupid as well, esp. since it is on a local street). I slam on my brakes--fishtail. He slams on his brakes. He curses me out. He's the one who was negligent, almost kills me, and curses me out. I just kept riding.

In NYC, things like this are a daily event. You just deal with it. Things will only get better if bicycles are accepted as a form of transportation rather than being viewed as toys for kids or as a recreational hobby in the U.S. or localities, and that will most likely not happen in my lifetime.

Glad you are ok.
Old 04-25-09, 02:06 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
It really flustered me and I cut my ride short.
Not me. It makes me mad enough to ride longer and harder.

As far as cell phones, it won't matter if they outlaw them or not. I'm in a state where they were outlawed last year (hands free is allowed) and I don't see much difference in the number of people with their hand covering one side of their face.
Old 04-25-09, 02:22 PM
chrisvu05
Legs of Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
People here still drive like idiots, so it didn't really help. Besides the act itself of talking on the phone is a huge distraction. Wasn't there a study done that showed people had worse reaction time then when they were legally over the alcohol limit?

UD
the study I read stated that cell phone users have a 30% slower reaction time than those under the influence.
Old 04-25-09, 02:30 PM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ye also mythbusters did an experiment. They were worse at driving while on the phone compared to when drunk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.