Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Downtube Nova Vs 9FS vs Citizen Tokyo?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 07:47 PM
YeloNeko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I've suddenly come down with folding bike fever(I'm getting tired of taking the Bus -> Train -> Bus, when I could just do Bike -> Bus).

But I've so far narrowed it down to Downtube Nova, 9FS and the Citizen Tokyo. I have a small budget sub 300, but I'm willing to go a bit higher(such as the 9fs, but not much).

But is the 9fs worth it? The extra weight etc? The Cost? (What if I could get the 9FS at the same price as the Nova?).

Also, I'm going to be taking public transit(I'm in Boston), and don't plan on upgrading.. Just want a simple bike that I can bring onto the train.

And worst comes to worst, if I find that the cost isn't worth it, I'll spring for the cheapest, the Tokyo which doesn't seem to be a bad deal for sub $200 and the only one with 16" wheels for that kind of price. But it's kinda heavy..

Are there any 16" folders in my price range?

[note I do plan on riding in most weathers except say Snow, and crazy rain/wind so hopefully it'll be solid]

Also as a note, I'm a small guy 5'7" about 115 pounds so weight is a bit of a concern since I'm a bit of a weakling haha.

So I'm right now leaning between the 9FS and the Nova, closer to the 9FS but the tokyo isn't off my radar. Any help from you guys would be appreciated.

(I'm a bit torn, I've been crawling these forums for a while, but every day I wake up I change my mind on which of the three =\)
Old 08-02-10, 08:29 PM
ShinyBiker
Pedaling fool

Bikes: 07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a old downtube fs (8 speeds) so I can comment on that. It is a very comfortable ride. The front and rear suspension cushions the ride and will probably do so in rough Boston streets. However, it is a bit heavy. It sounds that you will only lift up the bike to put it on the bus so you should be ok. Also, the stock components tend to be of lower quality on the downtube so you may be looking at upgrading the rear derailleuer and such.

If you could get the fs at the same price of the nova, I would jump on that.

Other than citizens, I've seen some dahon offshoots on ebay that have 16" wheels. I think they were called dahon "dream". Sounds like people buy these big bins of folding bikes and resell them on ebay. You can usually get them for around $100 shipped and new. Haven't seen a full review of them, but at $100 you can't complain.
Old 08-02-10, 08:32 PM
ShinyBiker
Pedaling fool

Bikes: 07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I found a pix of the dahon dream. See post #115:

https://www.kaskus.us/showthread.php?t=1534114&page=6
Old 08-02-10, 09:50 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Nova. Light and can be rolled while folded.
Old 08-02-10, 11:57 PM
hazyphonics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Downtube 8H (similar to the 9FS) and it can be rolled while folded too, so keep that in mind. However, the Nova sounds perfect for you.
Old 08-03-10, 05:42 AM
Niked

Bikes: 2009 Downtube FS8, 1970 Raleigh Gran Prix, 2009 Citizen Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The CB Tokyo is ultra compact when folded and fits nicely in the trunk of a vehicle (that's where I store mine). I've had this bike for a little over a year and have traveled with it (Bermuda). So far, no worries.

My Downtube 8FS feels more solid and is faster, given the bigger wheels and gears but requires bungee cords to keep it tidy when folded. The Nova is getting good reviews.
Old 08-03-10, 06:21 PM
YeloNeko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright thanks for the advice, I think I'll go with the Nova. It seems to be the lightest of the bunch.

Also, is the user downtube1 who keeps posting novas on ebay, official? (If so, does it come with the normal on site warranty? or..?)

Thanks
Old 08-03-10, 07:47 PM
JosephLMonti

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, it is the same Downtube company but the eBay bikes have a 90-day warranty while the bikes bought from their website have a one-year (limited) warranty.
Old 08-05-10, 07:04 AM
JCFlack

Bikes: Giant Escape III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Tokyo has the same or very similar gearset as the Nova, but with smaller wheels, the effective gear range is lower. Not very fast - I upgraded mine to give it a higher high gear - good enough for me for now, but still not great. The Tokyo folds into a nice small package, which was important to me, because I don't have a lot of storage space. Bromptons and some others fold smaller, but are a lot more expensive too. But the Tokyo is rather heavy for its size. It can roll when folded, but it isn't easy to roll because there is no good place to grip it at the correct angle. It doesn't hold together when folded without help, but it came with a velcro strap that holds it nicely. I like my Tokyo for now, but eventually I will probably replace it - maybe with a Downtube 8H, maybe a used internal hub version of the Dahon Curve SL.
Old 08-05-10, 07:56 PM
YeloNeko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
woo, okay thanks!

I got the "light blue"/gray(not my favorite color, but I can live with it) nova off of Ebay, saved me a good $60($280 with shipping).

Hopefully it'll be great, and.. now time to go blow that $60+(probably more ) on a helmet and locks =\...(I haven't ridden a bike for at least 6 years)

any advice on those?
Old 08-05-10, 08:57 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Short video on Tokyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1YlX...eature=related
Old 08-05-10, 08:59 PM
nekohime
I... Don't care.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
O hai, it's another Neko!

Locks...only use them as an absolute last resort. You can fold the bike and bring it in most places. Get a good kryptonite U-lock (not the mini one; one of the the longer ones) and when you lock your bike up, fold it first then run the lock through the frame and both wheels.

Helmet...pretty much any helmet will do, just pick one whose style, fit, and color suit you.

If you have any leftover money, buy some lights and reflective stuff.
Old 08-05-10, 09:16 PM
Urbanis

Bikes: Xootr Swift, Dahon Speed P8, Jamis Aurora

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations on your new bike and welcome to the fold!

I can't comment on the CB Tokyo but I did own a Downtube 8H (with partial suspension) and a Nova. Of those two types (suspended and non-suspended), I think you made the right choice. The Nova is a light bike with a nice, quick, and tidy fold. While I think the gear range is somewhat limited at the top end, you may not even notice it. And if you do notice it, well, then you can start upgrading! :-)
Old 08-06-10, 02:58 AM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats. Will be interested in your comments once you get the Nova. Seems a good looking and capable bike for the money and uses basic Shimano gearing rather than those dreadful Juju ones!